Is Assetto Corsa CPU heavy?

I noticed certain stutters in situations like the at the end of the straight of Spa when I'm side-to-side with the AI. Rest of the game works fine it's just those moments when you force the AI to rethink their line.

Can there something be improved with a settings change? I have CM.

Ingame percent of CPU is measured based on how long it takes to complete the game's calculations (compared to frame time) so it covers all aspects of cpu usage, not just the amount of cycles AC is using.

A lot of AC's single thread performance is constrained by FMOD when I've tried profiling it, the more audio channels it's mixing (because several cars are in hearing range, or those cars have more clips in their soundbank) the more time it takes on the cpu. In some ways it's a task that could be multithreaded (map/reduce style) but it's an external library so you kinda get what you get.

True that: AC runs only a few tasks, and many modern CPUs have many cores.
Task Manager shows average utilization.
AC may max out one core, but Task Manager might show < 20%.
If a CPU core is maxed e.g. for calculating physics, then GPU most likely cannot be.
That is one reason why overclocking tends to be more popular among gamers,
to get more performance from games that do not effectively exploit multiple cores.
An Intel i5 running a higher clock speed can outperform i7 or i9 with lower clock speed
or even the same clock speed if that i7 or i9 runs into power or thermal limits.
My PC runs other games at a much higher quality and FPS

My PC runs other games at a much higher quality and FPS
"games" is the important word here.
If you don't care for accurate physics, you can calculate the tyres on a separate cpu core than the chassis.
But if you want it to be accurate, you need to do it in the order of the real world physics and you can't split that into parallel calculations.

Imagine you would have to screw 3 pieces together with 2 screws.
You need to put the 3 pieces on top of each other, then insert the screws and then tighten them.

If you have 3 other people with you, they can't tighten the screw before you put the pieces together.
And if you think about it, sorting out how to put little things together with 3 friends isn't really going to accelerate things.
At some point the overhead to plan that would take longer than simply doing it yourself, alone.

Now if you would have another person planning everything beforehand, it would be possible.
But AC was developed by a rather small company.
Bigger companies have teams only optimizing code, trying to find ways to split things on multiple cores etc.

ACC uses about one core more. So there was some improvement.
And thanks to CSP, it was possible to optimize the rendering of the HUD apps, which boosts fps a lot when being CPU bottlenecked.

Does anyone change to the AMD Ryzen 5800X3D and performed some benchmarks? Does the 3D cache help to improve the game performance of AC? Or is still higher single-core performance the way to go?

I went from a 5600X to the 5800X3D, & the 'test' results were mixed. The in game benchmark had the 5600X marginally ahead with my test results. That said, the in-game benchmark doesn't stress the cpu in the same way as an online race, so the results only tell half the story*. In terms of VR, there is a performance bump, especially with large grids.

For example:
AC benchmark cpu usage with 3600X
AC benchmark cpu usage 3600X 2022-10-27_16-27-28.jpg

AC online cpu usage 3600X
AC online cpu usage 3600X.jpg

Yeah it's always fun to see the built-in "benchmark" showing 200+ fps just to get choppy drops to the mid 50's during online race starts with bigger grids :poop:

For ACC, we know that the 5800X3D is a monster. But sadly no one seems to make some tests with AC, rF2, R3E etc.

Hi,

I see that a lot of discussions are ongoing regarding the CPU utilization issues with AC.

In my case I`ve noticed that my CPU is running at maximum frequency however the CPU load is around 30-50% ... and therefore does anyone know how to let my CPU run at lower frequency? Ideal case scenario would be that CPU frequency adapts according to CPU load ... does anyone have any solution for this issue without using Throttlestop?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back