AMD Ryzen For Simracing?

I kind of peeved wanted to update my 3400G motherboard to have both DP and HDMi onboard ( so I can swap between 2 monitors like I do with 5600X using aHDMi 4K hub)
B550 has both but won't run a 3400G.
I think my only options are sell cpu / mobo and buy 5600G/B550
or buy cheap video card which i don't need as the Vega11 does all
old gmotor really well.

Then reminded me why I hit idea on head before, if I want GTR2 etc on my rig just need to manually swap one cable costs nothing ......what was I thinking lol

Last edited:
In a moment of madness, I replaced my Ryzen 5600X with a 5800X3D. This was a month ago and so far I'm not sure that I made the right decision. From a VR (sim) perspective, when I went from a 3600X to a 5600X cpu, the performance improvement was obvious - I could join an online AC race & not worry to much about stuttering it was a full grid (24 cars...if it was more, then I would have to turn off most of the apps to keep 90fps). In the VR games that I've tested so far, the difference seems to be much more subtle - more about the 1% lows than outright fps.

In all the reviews that I've seen, ACC, for example, comes out comfortably ahead of the competition:
Techspot ACC 2022-08-01_14-42-26.jpg

By way of contrast, using the (limited) benchmark in Assetto Corsa (2D), I found the results to be a tad underwhelming:
AC benchmark 3600X_5600X_5800X3D.jpg

Same motherboard/memory (poor setup :laugh:) for all 3 cpus - the mins on the all the cpus vary from one test to the next.

Unfortunately, I didn't test the 3600X/5600X in VR using the AC benchmark when I had the opportunity - lack of foresight. I did, however, find a review that confirmed what I was finding with a Steam fpsVR app/tool:
5800X3D-vs-5800X-6.png

In the few online (AC) races that I've done since owning the Ryzen 5800X3D, I've been able to run extra apps & the framerate (90hz - Samsung Odyssey+)/cpu frametimes give me hope that I won't run in to too many problems with large grids (I've given up with ACC & rF2 framerate is just shockin' :confused: ).

With some obvious limitations, here are some early results using fpsvr:
Assetto Corsa online Ryzen 3600X 5600X 5800X3D Silverstone gt3 fpsvr.jpg

Sebring 2021 2022-07-27_21-15-14.jpg

I'm not sure how much impact car in the pit vis a vis those on the track has on game performance. I'd love to know. I'm sure it has some.

Last edited:
Guy with a 3090 went from a 5800x to 5800x3d and he raves about it. Mostly if not only a rf2 pilot. I have a 3600x and am considering a 5800x3d as well as a new gpu when 40 series’s is leaked enough and/or released lol. What gpu to u have atm? Also What is the big issue on rf2 for fps? There’s multiple json edits required really and headlights are a massive issue for an endurance race

Last edited:
In a moment of madness, I replaced my Ryzen 5600X with a 5800X3D. This was a month ago and so far I'm not sure that I made the right decision.

I'm going to drop mine in this weekend in place of a 3700X. Pairing with a Radeon 5700XT till i can afford something new, i'm not expecting miracles.

But despite the high price tag i think that this is going to turn out to be a great value purchase, like the 1080Ti of cpu's! These things can easily handle a 3090Ti so should be good for a gpu upgrade or two.

Also, as i understand it, Ryzen 7000 is a refresh of 5000 but on 5nm with no major architectural changes hence the mediocre expected gains. I don't think these will be far behind the non 3d, if at all, so i don't think we'll feel like we're missing out if we skip 7000 altogether.

For now though i'm just hoping it does Rf2 a favour...

Last edited:
I'm going to drop mine in this weekend in place of a 3700X. Pairing with a Radeon 5700XT till i can afford something new, i'm not expecting miracles.

But despite the high price tag i think that this is going to turn out to be a great value purchase, like the 1080Ti of cpu's! These things can easily handle a 3090Ti so should be good for a gpu upgrade or two.

Also, as i understand it, Ryzen 7000 is a refresh of 5000 but on 5nm with no major architectural changes hence the mediocre expected gains. I don't think these will be far behind the non 3d, if at all, so i don't think we'll feel like we're missing out if we skip 7000 altogether.

The few rf2 (online) races that I've done this this year have been with a Ryzen 5600X, where the cpu & gpu frametimes have been north of 11.1ms (90hz), sometimes with just a dozen cars on the grid. I did, however, use the 5800X3D on a rf2 practice server (solo) & the frametime results weren't very good. However, upon reflection, that may be due to the fact that those races used modded cars/tracks. So out of curiosity, I've just had a short race against 35 AI gt3 DLC cars in rF2 @ Imola - the game ran smoothly (just 2% reprojection) with all cars visible (sunny day). 60 visible cars seemed to be a no go, the same with the rain turned on. Is 35 visible cars good or bad in rf2?

Some of the leaks seem to suggest that the 7000 series boost clock will be much quicker than the 5000 series & have better IPC performance...

Thank you for running a test.

I guess it's settings dependant but with the 3700x using S397 dlc, circuit and cars, maybe 20. More with Reiza's older content. I'm just after a smoother experience really. It was running like a champ until recent updates. A 3 year old gpu isn't helping much either.

I forgot to mention the extra L2 cache on the 7000, but i've heard a couple of times something like 8-15% coming mostly from the frequency increase. As usual it's down to the benchmarks but the hype train is a rollin'.

Years ago i picked up a phenom quad + mb on a really good deal. A month or so later AMD announced it's replacement. It was going to be so much faster, so much cooler while just sipping the power. I panicked and thought crap! Have i just thrown my money into a hole?

Then they released Bulldozer...

Then Piledriver...

I finally retired the Phenom in 2017 with Ryzen 1000.
And that's what i'm looking to do with this, pair it with the best gpu i can afford and then give hardware a wide berth for as long as possible.

Edit: Sorry, i misunderstood. I've set visible cars to 26 to help fps and don't really notice any pop in, but then i rarely run large fields.

Last edited:
Same, 15 on the g9 with ultra settings but in vr for g2 my settings go way down and visible cars goes to 12.

U can edit the pit lane garage detail 0.01
U can edit opponents textures to be overridden (this is unnoticed by u)
U can turn opponents headlights down to only 3
U can turn only your put crew on

These are some of the player json edits to make to help with the game. Also are u using open composite?

What? 7000 is a totally new AMD platform (AM5) and DDR5/PCIE5.0 support. Also some leaks promise higher boost clock speeds (approaching 6GHz if you're lucky)

What? 7000 is a totally new AMD platform (AM5) and DDR5/PCIE5.0 support. Also some leaks promise higher boost clock speeds (approaching 6GHz if you're lucky)
In theory it could be the same architecture though but with the ddr4 and pci areas replaced I'd think?
Isn't this the principle of the good old Tick/Tock of new generations so ryzen 9000 would be AM5, 5 nm and a new architecture.

But I do expect miracles nonetheless :p

For a while now leakers have pointed to same Zen 3 cores on 5nm, doubling of L2 cache, ddr 5 and possibly AVX-512. Gains from Zen 3 to Zen 4 are expected to be less than the gains going from 2 to 3.

Yes it's on a new socket but essentially that is just a wiring job. Memory controller/SoC are separate from cores.

From reading the WCCF Tech article above, increasing the TDP on a node shrink says they are squeezing quite hard for those frequencies.

is the image not displayed for u in my reply?
Not sure what the point is but as you can see, for the first time the 6 core part moves frow 65W to 105W. They're squeezing 'em...

From a couple of months ago.

Hopefully i'm wrong and these things are way better than expected... we'll find out when they hit the shelves.

For a while now leakers have pointed to same Zen 3 cores on 5nm, doubling of L2 cache, ddr 5 and possibly AVX-512. Gains from Zen 3 to Zen 4 are expected to be less than the gains going from 2 to 3.

Yes it's on a new socket but essentially that is just a wiring job. Memory controller/SoC are separate from cores.

From reading the WCCF Tech article above, increasing the TDP on a node shrink says they are squeezing quite hard for those frequencies.
There's a few other changes to note.
- Basic iGPU to be included on all 7000 chips (if true, YAY!)
- AMD's I/O die is moving from 14nm(GF) to 6nm(TSMC)

Last edited:

Doubling the cache and moving to faster DDR5 alone should bring noticeable performance increases. Add higher clocks to that and it hopefully will land at 20-25% increase, maybe more. Zen2 was just a low bar (I built my current system in summer of 2019, and I remember that no Ryzen was a match for a ~5GHz 9th-gen Intel CPU in gaming performance), hence why that jump was so big

Hi guys, i need help to choose between two cpus for my gaming rig, 5600x/5700x.

Config
X570 aorus pro wifi mini itx
ryzen 3600@4250mhz all cores
2*8gb 3400CL14@3777CL16
rx5700xt@2200mhz
1200w psu
custom wc for cpu and gpu
Rifts

apps
discord(vocal/videoStream)
Chrome/Youtube
Simhub
Occulus

My main focus is only AssettoCorsa, its been some years i only play Ac on VR and it won t change so soon^^
I do use Blender a lot and i m really happy with my actual cpu, i even use it on my laptop 3500u/8gb only for cars.

After some days of readings i still can t figure wich one will gives me the best for my favorite use.

I know the game loves IPC and frequency and i m just afraid than the 5700x wont be able to keep his max_freq on all his cores, if Ac can even use them all.
Where the boost all cores under heavy loads of the 5600x looks to me way higher so potencialy better, but i m not sure its a mess into my head^^

I m currently hitting 100%cpu under the csp renderstat online with AI traffic on lot of tracks with ks_cars.
The shuto will be an awsome gift^^

Thx for your time.

Hi guys, i need help to choose between two cpus for my gaming rig, 5600x/5700x.

Config
X570 aorus pro wifi mini itx
ryzen 3600@4250mhz all cores
2*8gb 3400CL14@3777CL16
rx5700xt@2200mhz
1200w psu
custom wc for cpu and gpu
Rifts

apps
discord(vocal/videoStream)
Chrome/Youtube
Simhub
Occulus

My main focus is only AssettoCorsa, its been some years i only play Ac on VR and it won t change so soon^^
I do use Blender a lot and i m really happy with my actual cpu, i even use it on my laptop 3500u/8gb only for cars.

After some days of readings i still can t figure wich one will gives me the best for my favorite use.

I know the game loves IPC and frequency and i m just afraid than the 5700x wont be able to keep his max_freq on all his cores, if Ac can even use them all.
Where the boost all cores under heavy loads of the 5600x looks to me way higher so potencialy better, but i m not sure its a mess into my head^^

I m currently hitting 100%cpu under the csp renderstat online with AI traffic on lot of tracks with ks_cars.
The shuto will be an awsome gift^^

Thx for your time.

If you use Blender a lot, you should always target for more cores. If you can stretch your budget a little, the 5900x will be A LOT faster. Maybe a used 3950x if you can find one at a good price (you most likely won't, though).

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Prizes

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 5 6.9%