iRacing | Season 3 Patch 5 Now Available

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
The fifth season 3 update patch for iRacing has been deployed - and it contains a new configuration of Daytona amongst other things.
  • Latest patch addresses various issues within the simulation.
  • Daytona Road Course configuration added.
  • Various visual tweaks.

The new patch is available now, and is part of the usual iRacing maintenance push following larger seasonal release updates. Although focused mostly on the usual updates and tweaks, it is worth noting that a slightly different configuration of the mighty Daytona has been included in this new build, with the NASCAR Road layout now added for players to use.

iRacing Season 3 Patch 5 Update Notes:

UI

• A new tab has been added to each Series’ modal window, Season Results!
    – – This tab features the results for the current Season.
  • For Series Sessions, results are now displayed as a Split Table, which allows users to view Results from any Split in the Session with
    ease.
  • In the Results window, you can now view the Starting Grid of that Race Session via a “View Starting Grid” button.
  • In the Race Options for Create a Race, fixed an issue where the iRating slider was not being displayed.
  • For the Grid Builder, resolved an issue where you could not select a previously run Practice + Qualifying Session from the Session dropdown menu.
  • Data processing for a user’s initial login and for retrieving Sessions’ Entries Lists has been optimized.
Simulation:

Telemetry

• We are investigating a possible issue where using disk telemetry may cause stutters when driving.
Cars:

Dallara IR18

• Fixed an issue with a missing alpha channel in paint pattern #10.
McLaren MP4-30
  • The digital dashboard display is now behind glass.
NASCAR Chevrolet Monte Carlo – 1987
  • The suspension has been adjusted to reduce the likelihood of the rear axle popping out of place.
NASCAR Cup Series Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
  • The appearance of the splitter and spoiler have been updated when running at a Road Config for Daytona International Speedway.
  • Aerodynamic properties and tires have been tuned when running at a Road Config for Daytona International Speedway.
  • The iRacing setups for Daytona International Speedway have been updated.
NASCAR Cup Series Ford Mustang
  • The appearance of the splitter and spoiler have been updated when running at a Road Config for Daytona International Speedway.
  • Aerodynamic properties and tires have been tuned when running at a Road Config for Daytona International Speedway.
NASCAR Cup Series Toyota Camry
NASCAR Ford Thunderbird – 1987
  • The suspension has been adjusted to reduce the likelihood of the rear axle popping out of place.
Tracks:

Daytona International Speedway

• NEW TRACK CONFIGURATION!
    – – A new asphalt road track config, NASCAR Road, is now available for use at this track!
    – – – Run the track before the pros at the Go Bowling 235 event!
  • (Road Configurations) – Slightly reduced the rate of heat build-up for all Stockcars and Trucks running at these track configuration.
Lime Rock Park
  • Patched up a tear in the track texture along the front straight of the track.

iRacing is available now exclusively for PC.

Got some questions about the title? Worry not, head to the RaceDepartment iRacing Sub Forum, post a thread and ask our community!

iRacing Footer.jpg

Attachments

• iRacing Header.jpg
    iRacing Header.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
I don't understand the reason for the chicane. I read that NASCAR was concerned about the cars entering at speeds close to 200 MPH with a weight of 3,300 pounds. I had over a dozen days in my prepped Corvette Z06 at Daytona and reached the 170+ MPH mark on many laps. The weight of my car was 3,233 pounds, with far inferior rotors and brake pads than NASCAR runs.

Coming off the Daytona banking into turn one requires very late braking, however once one determines the braking point and has the gonads to do it, it works. There is also a huge run off area where one can abort and recover if need be. Many high speed organization run the 'Old' 24 hour course without an issue with some race cars reaching the 200 MPH mark. I just don't know why NASCAR didn't just leave the track as it was.

I've linked a Tommy Milner in-car video driving a Corvette at Daytona (at night which is especially neat to do) with his speed in the upper right of the Motec. Jump to see his entry speed into turn one at 4:25.

try Split 1 ;)
@++

Happens in split 1 too :p

But also, based on my own experience, iRacing's racing quality is hardly better then a public lobby these days - even when I get into a top Skip Barber split (which admittedly only happens in lousy timezones) the drivers that are supposed to be far better then me have the turn 1 lap 1 pileups. I gain irating not by having any particular degree of racing skill, but simply becuase a lot of far-higher rated drivers ahead of me crash and drop out of the race. All the (snobbish) reasons for iRacing's online racing superiority don't appear to apply anymore (and even back in 2015 where I raced regurarely, the GT3 and Indy fixed lobbies were notorious - that behaviour now can simply be found across the range).

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 205301

@MoerasGrizzly yeah, sorry, was just kidding :)
Based on my own experience (iracing since start of 2011) the sof (or split 1) is less important than the serie you race in...some are knowned for beeing eventfull (F3 for example), and some others are pretty clean...
@++

I don't understand the reason for the chicane. I read that NASCAR was concerned about the cars entering at speeds close to 200 MPH with a weight of 3,300 pounds. I had over a dozen days in my prepped Corvette Z06 at Daytona and reached the 170+ MPH mark on many laps. The weight of my car was 3,233 pounds, with far inferior rotors and brake pads than NASCAR runs.

Coming off the Daytona banking into turn one requires very late braking, however once one determines the braking point and has the gonads to do it, it works. There is also a huge run off area where one can abort and recover if need be. Many high speed organization run the 'Old' 24 hour course without an issue with some race cars reaching the 200 MPH mark. I just don't know why NASCAR didn't just leave the track as it was.

I've linked a Tommy Milner in-car video driving a Corvette at Daytona (at night which is especially neat to do) with his speed in the upper right of the Motec. Jump to see his entry speed into turn one at 4:25.

The problem you have is that the cars could complete the race but they need to be "racing "for 65 laps & on the 24Hr road course it would be more of an endurance race trying to preserve the brakes.
I expect the teams did some simulations & the heat was to high & would melt the tire beads etc.It then becomes a safety issue when the cars are under heavy braking at 200mph & a brake disc explodes,it is a big accident.They could probably redesign the brakes & run bigger ducts but that is extra expense for the smaller teams.

On the next update please apply these setting on the games engine:
  • Color:
    • Tint Colour: 32%
    • Tint Intensity: 5%
    • Temperature: 10
    • Vibrance: 12
  • Brightness/Contrast:
    • Exposure: 10%
    • Contrast: 31%
    • Highlights: 21%
    • Shadows: 10%
    • Gamma: 0%

I hope iRacing has planned a visual upgrade of the road tracks, everything outside the track limit.
They are still using the same textures since 2008, but at least the rendering has been a bit improved since.
I run the sim in HDR16F 10 bit mode (LG 38GL950G, RTX 2080 Ti) which already brings some scenery improvements.

The problem you have is that the cars could complete the race but they need to be "racing "for 65 laps & on the 24Hr road course it would be more of an endurance race trying to preserve the brakes.
I expect the teams did some simulations & the heat was to high & would melt the tire beads etc.It then becomes a safety issue when the cars are under heavy braking at 200mph & a brake disc explodes,it is a big accident.They could probably redesign the brakes & run bigger ducts but that is extra expense for the smaller teams.
AFAIK one of the engineers said that Road America is harder on Xfinity brakes (less tech/speed) than they will expect for the Cup cars at Daytona in terms of energy per mile. Of course, a short track like Martinsville is much tougher on brakes than any road course, since there isn't nearly as much time for the brakes to cool.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back