iRacing partners with McLaren Electronic Systems

iRacing has announced today that it will be partnering with McLaren Electronic Systems to provide telemetry data. iRacing announced that this summer it would be releasing v2.0 of its software and that with the update there will be improved telemetry output. McLaren Electronic Systems was contracted by the FIA to supply the powertrain control system to F1 teams at the start of 2008 and NASCAR has named McLaren Electronic Systems as the official engine control unit supplier for 2012.

McLaren's ATLAS Express software will be integrated into the iRacing service by the end of May and documentation will also be released to help iRacers get the information they need from the telemetry. ATLAS Express has been derived from the ATLAS software that McLaren developed to support their F1 team. As well as the ATLAS software the new telemetry output will allow broadcasts of online races to have overlays showing real time telemetry from the cars and also give greater support to sim hardware such as motion platforms and external guages.

You can read the full press announcement here at iRacing's 'InRacing News' site here, or scroll down below to read the announcement made on the iRacing members site:

iRacing.com announced today it is partnering with McLaren Electronic Systems to incorporate the ATLAS Express data analysis software into its system. As a result, iRacing’s more than 25,000 members will now have access to similar data acquisition and telemetry software used on every car competing in the FIA Formula One World Championship since 2008 and on NASCAR’s standard ECU (engine control unit) in 2012.

In addition to affording members unprecedented opportunities to increase their understanding of their virtual race cars’ performance with ATLAS Express, iRacing is also releasing an upgraded application program interface (API) that will dramatically enhance the service’s compatibility with an array of external features including motion platforms and external displays.

“With the new iRacing telemetry capability, our members will be able to log detailed telemetry from their virtual race car to disk,” says Dave Kaemmer, iRacing’s chief executive and chief technical officer. “Using McLaren Electronics’ Atlas Express data analysis application, members who wish to delve into the engineering details in order to improve their cars’ handling will be able to do so, using very similar tools as F1 and NASCAR teams. In addition, with iRacing’s new real-time telemetry interface, multiple applications will be able to access telemetry simultaneously, allowing easier support for motion platforms, external gauges, and other add-ons from the sim-racing community.”

I don't know, companies like McLaren are split into these sub groups and act like almost separate companies so a deal with one doesn'tr necessarily mean a deal with the others though it would be great to have maybe a McLaren F1 or the McLaren F1 GT car.

Those would be great indeed. In fact, does iracing have ANY European tin top race cars available at the moment? Man, if they ever get Ferrari or Lambo, the participation numbers would balloon through the roof.

Those would be great indeed. In fact, does iracing have ANY European tin top race cars available at the moment? Man, if they ever get Ferrari or Lambo, the participation numbers would balloon through the roof.

what's "tin top" mean? lol I never heard the expression before. there's a few european formula race cars in iRacing, but they don't count?

I'm sorry I didn't mean for that to get so off topic... Yeah I'm certain it is a seperate company, same name thing. I'm sure it's most likely all owned by Mclaren but different company. Such as were I work there is probably 200 different companies that have been bought up/merged into one. They are all still there own braches persay.

Ohh yes Sir. I am playing with it now. Not like Motec but its more advanced than Motec. Only missing from ATLAS is the play button to see like Motec. This is all static. If you have problems just give me a shout and I'll get you up n running in no time.

Whoa! This program is really cool. Started using MoTeC i2 Pro to get ready for Road Atlanta in the Star Mazda and somewhat familiar with how that program works. But ATLAS takes it to another level. It'll really seem like a whole different language to most. And I for one am no expert on this but enjoy learning this stuff. Those interested should take a look at ATLAS and give it a go.

Thanks to Abdul for helping me out and getting everything into place.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back