iRacing.com Motorsport Simulations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ramon van Rijn - iRacing Review

Post your impressions about iRacing in this thread to make this one valuable for others to decide if its worth getting involved with it.

I will start off, because I received my invite yesterday; yeeee:jumping:

Once receiving the mail with the promotion code I could signup for a one month trial period for $20. Of course I signed up, and had to download an installer which installs the basic iRacing background services. Those services are necessary to interact the game with the website(s).
The installer weights 160Mb only.

After installed and entering the iRacing member site again (members.iracing.com), the quick start / initial steps was presented.
In very good detail everything to begin is explained. Very good and thorough information about how to begin and how to do every step.
Downloading the game itself with the included tracks/cars will be 570Mb. It was downloaded within 15 mins, so the bandwidth is currently not an issue.
My pc performance was measured and I had to configure my wheel. All very easy and very well explained.

After a while I was at the main iRacing members page and could begin my journey.
Doing a test is matter of chosing the right car/track and click the test button.

For road racing only the Solstice car is available. At first the car feels and behaves very dull. But the nice thing is, its very controlable once you get used to the lack of grip/speed this car has :)

You start in the pitlane and are presented with the max pitlane speed. Also you need to drive between the pitlane exit lines or you are presented with a dangerous pit exit warning.

The easiest track to start road racing is Lime Rock Full (without the chicane). Driving with the Solstice feels very sloppy. It all looks like slow-motion to me.
One of the reasons was the performance. The game demands very much and for some performance I lowered my resolution (from 1900x1200 to 1600x? forgot). FPS is now 50-90.
It felt a lot better, but still I got this sloppy feeling.

What they said about the physics is true. Its amazing how much feedback you will have. You can feel the bumps in the track, feel the elevation changes the weight of the car. Its all very nicely done.
It feels more like LFS then an ISI-based sim.

During practice you can crash/spin/cut as much as you want. During the official sessions its out of the question.

It was time to do some official timetrials. With some sweat in my hands to not screw up my rating I did my laps and tried to be near the limit. For timetrials you have to do 8 clean laps within 30 mins. The fastest and average of those 8 laps will count.

Afterwards you have results of your performance. Every session you do in iRacing will be archived. So expect a huge database behind this all :)

Because I was not that impressed by the dull Solstice car, I bought the Skip Barber and did some test laps. Could not do anything official because I don't have the license yet.
The Skip is just in one word superb to drive. Driving the same Lime Rock track the road feels different. Suddenly the bumps on the main straight are x4 in terms of feeling. Its hard to hold the wheel steady, you will have the feeling of actually in control of the car and not driving a sim. Very well done here!

The first impression of iRacing was sloppy and dull because of the boring Solstice. There is just no feeling of speed in the game if you drive it.
But its a good car to learn the basics and the next level will be rewarding.

The website, which is the main menu for the game in case you didn't noticed by now, is nicely done. You need some time to know how it all works, but its not hard to learn at all.
Only thing I had some problems with is to add friends.
You can lookup drivers at the top right search of your screen. Once you found, there is no button to add as a friend.
Hover your mouse over the helmet icon and a menu will popup to add this driver as your friend.
Strangely enough you don't get any reply that the other driver has accepted you or what the status is.

Hope to write more once I read/tried more of iRacing. So far it got me addicted, but not yet convince about the longer term. Have to drive more and do actual racing soon!

• shenken

Sascha Henken - iRacing Review

I watched Germany against Turkey yesterday evening. After I got home which was at nearly midnight, I checked my email and got my Invitation Email. So instead of getting to sleep and hooked on iRacing.

The registration was simple. First I entered my credit card details and my address information. After that the Installation Tutorial began its work. Downloading the software is quite simple if you read what is beeing said during the installation. The entire process will lead you through various sites with instructions, how to install the software, how to setup your GFX settings and how to prepare your wheel. And for all G25 wheel users it is suggested and mandatory to use a wheel rotation of 900 degrees.

After all these steps were done in just a few minutes, though the installation can take up to 30 minutes or longer, depending on your current internet connection, as there are many files beeing downloading from the iRacing servers.

After everything was ready I wanted to start racing but took a few minutes with the User Webinterface... Yes Webinterface I said. The entire platform is Web Based except the racing engine. I takes a while until you get an overview about your User Center and whats possible and what not. You can add friends (which took me a while to find out how) and you can easily customize your cars as often as you want. With customize I mean painting your skin. It´s done all online.

Once you´re done with your skins etc. you can select your Rookie Car you want to start with, either that strange Oval Rookie car which name I can´t remember anymore or just start with the Pontiac Solstice. You can select between different tracks like Lowes Speedway, Mazda Raceway aka Laguna Seca and different Layouts, also Limerock which I haven´t yet raced on.

So I took the small oval racecar, chose Lanier Oval Raceway, signed into the series and selected a practise session. There is a JOIN button which leads you into a Pre-Discussion chat where you can talk with others or write with others online. When the Countdown has reached Zero you can click ENTER and the software loads the track and you start direcly in your pitbox.

I must say that the physics are really spot on. Never have felt so much feedback from the car and the track and these cars (even if Rookie cars) aren´t easy to drive. You race with Fixed Setups in the Rookie Cars which shows you who can drive and who not. I will say from my own behalf that i´m an experienced simracer but what I raced yesterday, was like sitting really in that thing. I didn´t count how many times I spun around because i´m to stupid to drive that thing. It took me 2 practise sessions until I knew how to drive that car. And if you think you steer with the steering through the corners. Naah you don´t do much but steer with Throttle and Brakes like you mostly do in stockcars. But one mistake or once you get out of your rhythm, Baaam you´re off track :thumb:

Also I like the tire model. You can feel that the car hasn´t much grip but give it a couple of laps, until the tires get their temperature and you feel you can start to push more.

I would like to post some pictures but i´m not able to yet. While in the game you can setup PTT (Push to Talk) and the ingame voice is good quality, it´s like Teamspeak or even slightly better but depends on internet connection. I´ve seen no lag or warps during the first race of 40 laps i´ve done.

Yet I won´t judge about the netcode. I think the netcode is quite better than it was with NR2003 but i´m not sure if it is spot on like in rFactor. During the 40 laps race I was chasing a car in front. After I got inside him and entering the next corner, i´ve slided a bit into his line and he spun. I swear that the contact was minimal which should´ve have spun him out. Maybe it was a false impression but I need more races to find out.

I`m really hooked on with iRacing and yet it is worth the money. Though with the lag of Yellow Flags, no spotter system, there is quite some work left for Dave Kaemmer and his staff but i´m sure they know about it and will enhance this platform even more.

Graphics:

JUST WOW!

Even my GFX card GForce 9800 X2 has problems to render everything with maxed out settings. When alone on track there is no problem but get more cars on track and you get a slideshow, therefore the most negative impact on Framerate is always Shadows and Vertex Shader models. So i´ve turned that off and it still looks good. Comparing the GFX of rFactor or ARCA with iRacing, I must say that the GFX engine of iRacing is awesome. It just looks more the real deal than rFactor´s ISI engine.

Sound:

So far, the sound sounds realistic, though I cannot judge as I don´t know how a Pontiac Solstice or that Oval Racecar sounds like but it doesn´t sound nOObish to me. It´s sounds very good and like the real deal :)

Nice stuff. I can recommend to everyone to get signed up once iRacing opens its doors to the general public. It´s worth the money. Maybe i´ll post up more stuff when i´ve done more laps :)

Simon Trendell - iRacing Review

I'll spare the installation as Sascha & Ramon explains it well.

First combo was the Pontiac at Laguna Seca, bearing in mind that in ISI sims I race using bonnet view, i'm restricted to just the cockpit view here so it's even more of a learning experience for me.
In the pit box you get the pit lane speed limit head out of the pits and floor the car easily done with the low power solctice. The pit lane exit here curves so braking for this I do what I normally do, brakes to floor and back off as needed, not here the wheels lock and I learnt that you can't brake the same way.

First laps were taken slowly, at the corkscrew you get to see what detail there is because that hill is far steeper than I remember in any other sim/game.
Then on to lime rock and what a fun little circuit, by now I'm trying to push the solctice but still can't control it, spins & off's galore but luckily no count on safety rating yet.

I had a quick go in the Legends and they're fun but no fun on your own (and I had my first wall experience with them).

The web interface is good, only problem is that everything on every page has to be downloaded (IE no cache) which means each page is slower to load than you'd normally expect. The members site seems to be struggling under the new load I'm getting timeout errors 9/10 times right now.

Finally taking advantage of discounts for buying multiple cars & tracks I bought 3 new cars & 3 tracks.
Having had a small go in the RT2000 I really need to re learn to use more force feedback but you really can feel the bumps.

I just wish I wasn't having so many problems with the member site right now so I could get some videos.

EDIT: And I now really want a G25 :(

Ricky Willox - iRacing Review

Ok here we go my first thought's on iRacing.

I was going to try to write lengthy post about iRacing but I would just be saying exactly the same as the above posts, so ill keep it short.

Graphics:

Looks great and as Ramon said its hard on the hardware ive yet to find the perfect setting's for my 8800gtx.

Physics/Car handling/FF :

Im no expert in this field but it just feels right. The power steering in the Solstice feels like power steering, spongy no real feedback but just how it should.
You can get the car sideways round a bend and manage to pull it back in a way that just feels more natural.
I only have the two cars the legends oval car and the Solstice for the roads and the force feedback in the cars is so different. As stated above the solstice is spongy and there is not a huge amount of feedback but the Legends car is a different story. You feel every bump in the track.

Ok im gonna stop now to be honest my limited writing skills cannot do it justice you really have to try it for yourself.

I have fraps running so ill post some screenshots and maybe some video footage later.

• N I K I

Credit card paying

Hi,

I have one problem.
My parents don't want to give me their credit card to pay for iRacing, because they are afraid of fraud.

It all starts with thing that they sow big ripoffs in news papers about ppl buying over internet. Giving credit card number for them means giving approve to person on other side to take as much money as he wants. They would be willing to send money to bank account on other side, everything else is "too risky".
I tried to tell them that thousands of people buy games via internet, that this is not buying some junk over spam mail in my inbox or some sort of stuff like that, but that doesn't help.
Any advices?

Just for the record I've bought LFS over a friend and I won RACE07 license.

Thanks

In my bank i can have a so called internet card, as a secondary card to my VISA, especially for this kind of usage, it has separate bank account number everything, i can give the amount to it just what i want to use for byuing stuff, and use this card for internet purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes