iRacing | A Surprise New McLaren 570s GT4 Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
iRacing have dropped another new piece of content to the simulation today, making available the GT4 specification McLaren 570s in something of an unexpected move from the developer.

We already had the pleasure of a bumper collection of new content as part of the last big build update from earlier in the week, however it seems like the American team over at iRacing had a little surprise hiding up their sleeves for fans to get all excited about, and today they announced, then released a brand-new GT4 car to the title - the potent little McLaren 570s GT4!

Having kept this pretty well under wraps during the development phase, the new car will certainly represent a refreshing change of pace for players of the simulation, with GT4 being one of the less populated classes currently available, and should produce some good opportunities for close and hard fought racing within the title.

The new car has been made available this morning, and is available to purchase now from the iRacing store.

Original Source: iRacing

iRacing is a multiplayer racing simulation, available exclusively on PC.

iRacing Footer.jpg

Last edited:
Fascinating, a gt4 in IRacing, meanwhile on Steam a 3 year old racing game get the most players ever in a racing game by quite a margin on its second day.

View attachment 453931
not really surprising , Forza is way more oriented to more casual games who don't really care about more realistic sims

GT4 - nice !probably my favorite race cars , apart from touring cars,

Fascinating, a gt4 in IRacing, meanwhile on Steam a 3 year old racing game get the most players ever in a racing game by quite a margin on its second day.

View attachment 453931
I don't actually think Steam records the player count on iRacing. Only the player count through steam which is not a lot. Currently there are 10k people online and according to steamcharts the peeks are only 250 people but I've been in single races where at least 200 people sign up so yeah that's probably like 5% of the players or less who play through steam

Also comparing Forza Horizon to the sims is pretty unfair. Forza is made for the masses with a way bigger budget and it's just a totally different type of game. Also in general a better game (don't be mad, as a game it's just worth more. Doesn't mean I like it more). I think this was to be expected right?

This surprise really sucks, as I just bought the Porsche GT4 the day before...the Porsche is great don't get me wrong, but I love McLaren cars :D

Fascinating, a gt4 in IRacing, meanwhile on steam

View attachment 453931

Is there a key/legend that says which colour belongs to which game? Anyways, assuming that iRacing is the one that's too low to see and Forza is the highest since it just hit Steam 2 days ago:

1) Non-sim racing titles always pull in more gamers...this isn't news. Forza is a known popular title on consoles so naturally PC racers will wonder what's all the fuss about, so not surprised (and it's the first 2 days, that spike is expected). Mario Kart I'm quite confident has beaten that number easily if Nintendo had stats to show. Sometimes you just want to play a game like those, whether you're a sim racer or not; nothing wrong with that.

2) AFAIK Most people on iRacing sign up directly and not through Steam, so steam's stats are very inaccurate for this. iRacing's current players online as of right now:
1615502006194.png

EDIT: just saw @Karstenve beat me to it

Last edited:

View attachment 453931
Very little people use iR on Steam, when they do they mostly use it only to pay AFAIK. You then use iR by their own exe, Steam won't register those (which are the vast majority)

Last edited:
As I mentioned last night, 13,404 were on line racing. I agree that very few people race iRacing via Steam.
Likely only a fraction are actually racing online or >90% is doing oval and dirt. If you just open the browser-window for the forum or racing against AI you will be listed there as well. Most road-series are practically dead, like all vintage content and every fast open wheeler series. Certainly it's getting full in the GT3-series, MX5, Skip Barber and a few others. It's week 13 and on the road-series-servers there are roughly 850 people online at best at the moment while the iRacing-page is counting 12453 iRacers online:cautious:

Last edited:
This surprise really sucks, as I just bought the Porsche GT4 the day before...the Porsche is great don't get me wrong, but I love McLaren cars :D

You can say that again I just bought the BMW last night and honestly can’t stand the cockpit in VR. It may be true to real life but that 3 foot long steering shaft is wow.

I do prefer McLaren, wish I could trade in the beemer for it!

Likely only a fraction are actually racing online or >90% is doing oval and dirt. If you just open the browser-window for the forum or racing against AI you will be listed there as well. Most road-series are practically dead, like all vintage content and every fast open wheeler series. Certainly it's getting full in the GT3-series, MX5, Skip Barber and a few others. It's week 13 and on the road-series-servers there are roughly 850 people online at best at the moment while the iRacing-page is counting 12453 iRacers online:cautious:
I dunno who told you road racing is dead but that's certainly not the case. Just because Week 13 isn't full doesn't mean anything. Week 13 is an off week for a lot of people due to the silliness. But most all road series go official at every race, even the Formula Renault 3.5. Sure the GP series doesn't have a ton of popularity but that's because no one knows how to set it up good or have the time for a ~1 hour grand prix. However road racing is very alive on iRacing (aside from the vintage content, as you mentioned).

First off, you can't only count people racing in the "main" races (the 850 mentioned) and forget that:
1) lots of people are racing or practice in the hosted servers section. Right now there's at least 600 in that section alone.
2) I'll bet that lots of people are doing AI races for various reasons.
3) lots of people are running hotlaps/hotstints offline in prep for the next season.

Most importantly, Steam counts anyone that opens a game, for whatever reason (online race, offline AI race, practice, career mode, open but idle, customising car/character etc.) as an "online" player as well. So you can't imply that iRacing advertising 10K racers online is false/misleading, when all other Steam stats report for all other titles in the same way. Forza might have 20K "online" but with at least 25% of them designing a character or customising a car...not racing online or offline...so same thing.

As for which cars are active: what you're saying is partially true, but it doesn't tell the whole story, there's so many facets to it. First off, iRacing is practically the only game in town in all of sim racing if you want to do online oval or dirt road/dirt oval racing with the proper flags/rules and don't have time for the time restrictions of finding buddies to race or leagues...Oval is also the most promoted discipline where, if you're alien good, you have a chance of racing for actual money. So it's not surprising that's a large chunk of the subscriber base.

Also related to that, there's a big reason why GT3 and similar cars are all the rage in all online sim racing: they're easy to pickup (not saying easy to master) compared to vintage cars and fast open wheelers. I love the fast open wheelers (the iR-01 has become my primary focus), but not many people can handle it; it's not something you pick up and are capable of getting on the pace in a few mins. I want them to be popular, and I don't think sim racing should ever be made arbitrarily more difficult than the real car, but let's face it: Driving a Lotus 49, Lotus 79 or a V10 F1 car without TC or ABS has never been easy. How many online races do you see for similarly difficult cars in other sims? Even when you do enter one, it's usually a wreckfest unless you're in a league of drivers at a reasonable level. Also compounding the problem is tuning iRacing's FFB to feel like it should isn't as intuitive as other sims, and that's extremely necessary to keep those more difficult cars under control.

Finally, the big difference between other sims and iRacing is that there's a ratings system and championships for each series and many people care to keep their rating at a certain level, either for the quality of racing, the higher points you get in championships, or both. If you're highly rated due to being an excellent GT driver, but then jump into the top level open wheelers, you're expected to be at that same rating level over there too...and as I said, it's not easy for everyone to switch over from GT to Formula...so most try them out, can't keep the car on track after 15 mins of trying (or not up to the level they expect), crash into others (or get crashed into) and then give up and go back to GT3/MX5/skip barber etc. Same for the primarily oval guys who want to dip their feet in road racing...oval racing definitely has its many challenges, but going from Ovals to a road track in 300kph capable open wheelers is a big ask.

Having said all of that, multiclass road races in iRacing are almost always packed 24/7 as well as F3. Also, if you read the iRacing subforums for each series, they'll tell you when are the most packed times so you'll know when to look for a race (helpful for the vintage and fast open wheeler races). Road racing far from dead.

Last edited:

Ok... and your point is ?? Its the same with people racing AI or sitting in the menu in other games... Also if you want to race vintage or fast open wheeler, there are plenty of leagues for that. Maybe IR staff should retire dead series but even then, those series still have 1-2 official races per week. Its a 10 years old game, people don't want to race cars that was released years ago.. They want the new thing..and right now, on the road side, its all about LMP, GTE, GT3, GT4

I only race road. Almost any time of day I can at least get MX-5, Skip, Spec Ford, 488 GT3, IMSA, with more than one split, and the more popular ones have 100, 200+ drivers entering.
With over 12k online I would expect that every series is populated, but like I said, many series are dead. Lotus 49, Lotus 79, Kamel GT (Audi GTO & Nissan GTP), GT1, V8 Supercars, both Indycar-series, McLaren MP4-30 are empty all the time and most of them since years. I have a far better chance getting into a decent populated vintage race in AMS2 than iRacing even it's not on a daily basis. iRacing should do something about it if it's through making those cars 'for free' or with a different iRating-logic. I certainly don't buy those cars just to use them during week 13 lunatic races, which seems to be the only opportunity to drive a Lotus 49 or 79 online.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

Votes: 114 9.6%
  • No

Votes: 1,069 90.4%
Back