Intel/Nvidia Build CPU/GPU Questions

It looks like i am going to go for the i7-10700k and OC it to 5.0 or so, and the Z490 MB of course.

I saw a lot of videos showing that an OC'ed i7-10700k is better than i9-9900k and right there with the i9-10900k and i save $100 and still get the Z490 MB, which does allow me to upgrade to a gen 11 CPU if i want to (probably won't do that though, will probably stick with one CPU for 3-5 years.

This article was one key in my decision:

Randy
:)

This is not written by Intel anywhere as far as I know!

Apart from that, good choice :)

Hmm, i thought that one of the features of the Z490 MB was that it would work with an 11th gen CPU. Note that intel will likely be on the 14th gen or something in 4+ years by the time i decide to upgrade the CPU though, so the idea of being ready for 11th gen CPUs is not a huge selling point for me

Hmm, i thought that one of the features of the Z490 MB was that it would work with an 11th gen CPU. Note that intel will likely be on the 14th gen or something in 4+ years by the time i decide to upgrade the CPU though, so the idea of being ready for 11th gen CPUs is not a huge selling point for me

rocket lake which is the next cpu will work on z490. After that there will be a socket change for Alderlake.

Hi,

I have a 9900k clocked / locked to 5Ghz all cores no problem. The CPU runs around 65 degrees C whilst playing ACC. I use a Corsair H150i AIO cooler.

I have to have the AVX offset at .3Ghz otherwise it will crash if AVX is heavily used.

I only have an RX580 GPU which is always running at 100% usage and the CPU sits at 18% usage mostly (CPU usage probably looks a bit low I think because it has 8C/16T so computer sees a lot of spare cores not doing much I guess).

I run at 1440p, 100% scaling and medium type settings and mainly get 60FPS. A few dips here and there. I prefer this rather than stepping down or scaling down to 1080p which looks a bit rough.

Anyway, I'm waiting to get a new GPU but don't know if I can wait until end of year for new Nvidia or AMD cards. I've been holding off for 3 months already. Does anyone know when both new cards will be available?

Building computers has always been the same.

I built my 9900k system last October. It's taken until now for the next gen to come out (I believe 9900k came out in 2018?).

You will always be behind the latest version soon after building.

My last build was in 2008 which was a quad core Q9450. Initially it played all the new games at high spec. but within a couple of years it lagged behind, mainly GPU was holding it back. I upgraded the GPU (2nd hand) once during all that time but I knew it needed to be binned and I should start again with all new build. It wasn't terrible so I definitely got my money's worth out of the system.

We'll see if my latest build will last as long as my last one. Hopefully half a chance as I went for the highest spec. gaming CPU this time rather than middle of the road. Just need to get a decent GPU....

I would never recommend buying new hardware 3 months away from (TWO) major cpu/gpu launches. Very few years in the past were like what the end of 2020 is shaping up to be.

I would never recommend buying new hardware 3 months away from (TWO) major cpu/gpu launches. Very few years in the past were like what the end of 2020 is shaping up to be.

I hear you but the Nvidia 3000 cards could be delayed at least until almost Christmas, and even then, it will take some time for the different manufacturers to get their cards to the market i bet, and the big next gen on CPUs may be even further away.
I have my system ready to be able to get the best 3000 card when they sort out and the reviews are in on them, so will likely upgrade to a 3080 or 3090 something or other the next 12 months and sell the 2080S, so i will lose a little on that, but don't want to wait that long for all of it to sort out before buying.

Some testing I did last night showing ram, cpu and hyper threading impact. This is using the In game bench and my daily settings. I play in vr only but these are done flat screen at 1920x1080.

unknown.png

xmp = 14-15-15/3600 2T
tuned = 16-16-16/4200 1T
secondary tuned timings: trrds 4, l 6, tfaw 16, twtrs 2, l 7, trfc 320, trtp 8, twr 12, trefi 65535

i didnt bother with tertiaries as these were quick tests and not meant to be max oc.

Summary in the order of most importance: disable HT, max core frequency, get ram up to at least 3600mhz, lower timings as much as possibl.

Last edited:
Do you think it was turning off HT that made the first test fastest or was it just the CPU clock at 5.2ghz that did it? Would be interested to see if you run the same first test with HT on but still at 5.2Ghz 3600 RAM speed.

Looks like you did a lot of work testing these scenarios so I don't blame you if you can't be bothered.

I might try and set my CPU to 5.2 to see if I get any gains on the 1% low. I did once have it at 5.1 for benchmarking but reverted it back to 5Ghz for normal use. I think to run at 5.2 I have to keep the uncore down and AVX offset down.

Do you have all cores locked at 5.2ghz all the time?

Do you think it was turning off HT that made the first test fastest or was it just the CPU clock at 5.2ghz that did it? Would be interested to see if you run the same first test with HT on but still at 5.2Ghz 3600 RAM speed.

Looks like you did a lot of work testing these scenarios so I don't blame you if you can't be bothered.

I might try and set my CPU to 5.2 to see if I get any gains on the 1% low. I did once have it at 5.1 for benchmarking but reverted it back to 5Ghz for normal use. I think to run at 5.2 I have to keep the uncore down and AVX offset down.

Do you have all cores locked at 5.2ghz all the time?

I run 5.2 daily with no avx offset. Even windows background operations can trigger AVX and the offset creates large transient voltage spikes thus where possible, avoid an avx offset.

The HT off will net more than 5.2hz with HT on. As you can see, going up in mem frequency didn't help much at all. Getting those secondaries tight should be first priority.

Last edited:
Look at RobertR1's chart above (1st and last result are same graphics setup but static as opposed to 6 faces for reflections). Looks like about 28% reduction in FPS on 1% low's. CM has an 'i' symbol next to the setting. If you press that it will give you a good explanation of performance drop.

I think I usually have mine set to the setting one up from static.
Static for me looks pretty bland. You only get moving around trees even if there aren't any.
Looks kinda OK until you do a whole lap behind a shiny car at the Nordschleife and can't unsee how wrong the static reflections are.

The lower faces settings stutter. So can't use them either..

I'm using 3 faces since about a year ago now. Good compromise.
Resolution at 1024x1024 which is just about sharp and detailed enough to be fine to not be bothered by the quality (3440x1440 monitor).

I'll do a quick benchmark of resolutions and faces with a replay file later today :)

• Deleted member 197115

Static are not completely static, they get refreshed based on these settings in Weather FX

1597424045734.png

Plus with new SOL 3D clouds, at least sky seems to be reflected real time.

As for the cost of multiple faces per frame, if you click Info button next to Reflection Resolution in CM, it shows this (read the description fully)

1597424234216.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back