Inside Roborace Documentary - Trailer and New Series 14th October

It's very weird. Just last week I was trying to visualize where F1 might be in 10/20 years & this was it. Lewis, Nico, Bottas - all of them standing on the pit wall with little remote control units wearing onesies & an Oculas Rift each...'& it's lights out at Suzuka!' ...I've just scared myself.

But tech development like this has numerous positive future applications - it's not just limited to cars, but side streams into energy resource, global ecology, remote hostile exploration, medical, industry & myriad of things. Bladerunner in our time? It isn't far away in terms of our own tech evolution.

As Clarkson would say "just what is the point?, might as well have movies with no picture or a fishing rod on the moon". :whistling:;)

Let's mix it in with F1, both sports would benefit in excitement :D:roflmao:.
No F1 bashing, just a little joke aside....carry on :thumbsup:.

The great thing about driverless cars is that the space for the driver can be packed with power suppliers or be left out completely....ultra sonic machines in a figure of speech, like the RB2011X could become reality though I have question marks then with the sustainability of the tires. Maybe let's integrate hovering capability then :geek:? Oh no, this is getting out of hand already:confused:....and what about the sound?

For me, for now, I am absolutely happy with this....

But that doesn't mean I wouldn't welcome this....

I just would like to keep control of the wheel all the time because I can make the moral decision to avoid crashing into a group of people and end up against the wall where as a machine doesn't have morals and just would calculate the easiest way out of a crash, without empathy for the other parties involved.
And as for a final argument. ...
Technology fails because it's made by humans ;).

Hah, more proof we really are at the crossroads of motorracing and motor development. Where as racing has been the apex of technological development, and this certainly fits that bill, I just don't see anyone who's into racing enjoying this beyond the initial spectacle.

Time to bring back the V12 monsters of yesterday and let the motoring industry as a whole move on.

If only robocars were more like this:
johnny-cab-total-recall.png

At least we would have a face to root for.

I would totally watch it, in fact I spent a lot of time in Rfactor spectate mode just to see how stupid AI are trying to deal with each other.

Now imagine that with no predetermined AI lines, changing conditions, and real possibility of big crashes? Sign me up, the possibility of AI to **** up without sense of self preservation human does must make some hilarious highlights, kind of a guility pleasure like watching a FIFA glitch compilation if you ask me.

With no squishy human inside, we can also have ground effect, 6 wheel cars also those stupid **** without having to worry about tracks not being safe enough and having to slow cars down.

Not to mention if it one day makes more realistic AI in racing sim, **** it will be totally worth it.
The future will be like an anime.

images (1).jpg

OK OK this could work......no seriously hear me out.....The cars are "driverless" but what about, people pay to drive these things from their home, a real life Multiplayer race, like drones in warefare controlled from ,000's miles away, what about races cars, controlled the same.......now that has some beef behind it.??

OK OK this could work......no seriously hear me out.....The cars are "driverless" but what about, people pay to drive these things from their home, a real life Multiplayer race, like drones in warefare controlled from ,000's miles away, what about races cars, controlled the same.......now that has some beef behind it.??

...with chainguns?
NO really, we need to talk about this option...who cares of a drone-car without weapons?
A GPofNations, where US, IRAN, RUSSIA, etc etc fight each other in abbandoned war areas...

PS: At least I will be happy if they mimic Mini 4WD, lol

Driverless racing series and autonomous cars? Exactly what is the point?

Driving your own car your own way is the ultimate expression of personal freedom - freedom to come and go as one pleases - giving over to driverless racing cars and then autonomous auto-driving cars is fundamentally giving up personal travel freedom - then again there are all those people that do that happily and simply ride the bus or train and live their lives by someone else's schedule :) Not for me thanks.

Driverless racing series and autonomous cars? Exactly what is the point?

Driving your own car your own way is the ultimate expression of personal freedom - freedom to come and go as one pleases - giving over to driverless racing cars and then autonomous auto-driving cars is fundamentally giving up personal travel freedom - then again there are all those people that do that happily and simply ride the bus or train and live their lives by someone else's schedule :) Not for me thanks.

What about us "old people" who now live with the threat of losing the "personal freedom", that just jumping in the car gives us.
Driverless cars will give old people a new lease of life, not having to rely on family or friends for lifts, if only to the local shop.

What about us "old people" who now live with the threat of losing the "personal freedom", that just jumping in the car gives us.
Driverless cars will give old people a new lease of life, not having to rely on family or friends for lifts, if only to the local shop.
Thats fine and all, but I don't want to have my freedom of movement hampered by the freeways being optimized for automated cars versus manually operated cars.

I am not interested in government mandated automated cars and roads though.

"Interesting Concept" Not my "cup O tea".......Firstly, I think they need to rebadge it "Ai-Race" as there are no "robots" driving, technically :whistling:, and conjures up images of, dare I say it, "Robocop"

What I do find concerning here is that a vast majority of current and future "technologies" are removing human interaction, too much technology taking over so many aspects of everyday human existance, are we being forced into redundancy by the very tech that is meant to help us?
Sure, some tech is a definite benefit to mankind, but others are just a waste of money, like space exploration, so much money wasted that could feed millions of homeless people, solve diseases et cetera, et cetera.

"Interesting Concept" Not my "cup O tea".......Firstly, I think they need to rebadge it "Ai-Race" as there are no "robots" driving, technically :whistling:, and conjures up images of, dare I say it, "Robocop"

What I do find concerning here is that a vast majority of current and future "technologies" are removing human interaction, too much technology taking over so many aspects of everyday human existance, are we being forced into redundancy by the very tech that is meant to help us?
Sure, some tech is a definite benefit to mankind, but others are just a waste of money, like space exploration, so much money wasted that could feed millions of homeless people, solve diseases et cetera, et cetera.
EXACTLY THAT. +1

Yepp, a great example of where the future of cars in general will be a great thing, I've stood with far too many elderly waiting outside of church for that cab running 20-30 minutes late again to brush the technology aside. But I will brush it aside as a sport.

I don't think autonomous cars are going to lead to the ban of "normal cars". In my opinion the more likely outcome is the integration of autonomous technology to all cars - mainly the risk prevention aspect which could help save lives by taking control if the driver falls asleep or can't stay between lines for one reason or another, or by warning the driver about other cars, people and cyclists around the car.

I personally can't see the point of expressing my personal freedom when crawling 15km/h in an afternoon traffic jam when I could be taking a nap/playing games/doing work at the same time. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's useless.

Yepp, a great example of where the future of cars in general will be a great thing, I've stood with far too many elderly waiting outside of church for that cab running 20-30 minutes late again to brush the technology aside. But I will brush it aside as a sport.

I agree about the sport aspect of course. :)

Yep, and man it's happening too fast.
And some of these companies (together with the "green tech" ones) are probably creating another bubble financed by the state, will be fun when it pops

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back