• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Featured IndyCar Star Patricio O'Ward To Make F2 Debut This Weekend

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +22,617
    Patricio O'Ward F2 Debut.jpg
    Red Bull Junior and sometime Carlin IndyCar driver Patricio O'Ward is set to make his F2 debut this weekend in Austria.

The highly rated Mexican driver is set to step into the Formula 2 MP Motorsport car vacated by Mahaveer Raghunathan this weekend in Austria, returning to European competition following the Indians race ban from the Formula One supporting category.

Having engaged in a part season of the NTT IndyCar Series for 2019, O'Ward is taking the opportunity to broaden his racing experience by making a much anticipated first start in the FIA Formula 2 category at Austria's Red Bull Ring this coming weekend - marking a return to European competition for the first time since his seventh place finish in the 2014 French F4 series for Auto Sport Academy.

Outgoing MP Motorsport driver Raghunathan incurred the wrath of the FIA for a messy weekend of super licence penalty point gathering last time out at Paul Ricard, but should return to the series for the British round in Silverstone on the weekend of July 12th - 14th.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 1
  2. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright
    I may not be fast, but I'm wide!

Ratings:
    +1,805
    I hope we haven't seen the last of Pato in IndyCar, but I'm afraid that is likely the case. Glad I got to see him race in person a few times before he left. He made a big impression in a short time and I look forward to watching him race wherever it may be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Rory Wetherington

Rory Wetherington
    pflynhi Premium

Ratings:
    +83
    Indy Car "star" is a bit of a reach especially being just a rookie, 1 top ten in 7 starts and failed to qualify for the Indy 500, sitting 22nd place out of 23 full time drivers and 5th in the rookie race. Maybe he'll do better across the pond.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Chiwi

Chiwi

Ratings:
    +15
    Did you see the races?? He had a lot of bad luck and dont forget he drives a Carlin. I mean, you only have to see Max Chilton struggling to dont be the last.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WallyTP

WallyTP

Ratings:
    +20
    Highly rated by who? Mexicans? This guy's resume shows he is a nobody.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  6. DKGORACE

DKGORACE
    Premium

Ratings:
    +60
    Best of luck, Hope it goes well for the kid....Like some comments on this blog, take the positive with you and disregard the rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +1,805
    I'm not a Mexican, but I rate him highly (I'm not holding his time in a Carlin Crapwagon this year against him). I'm guessing you haven't seen his resume?

- 2016 Runner-up in Pro Mazda
    - 2017 24 Hours of Daytona Class Champion
    - 2017 12 Hours of Sebring Class Champion
    - 2017 IMSA Prototype Challenge Champion
    - 2018 Indy Lights Champion
    - 2019 Semi-Final rounds of both the ROC Driver's Cup and Nation's Cup
    - 2019 Signed to the Red Bull Junior Team

I'm sure your racing resume is far superior but Pato's is nothing to sneeze at. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,753
    Last part is interesting, Red Bull looking at putting him into the F1 team maybe?

However I'm biased. Stay in Indycar, you will have much better chance of winning (and just generally having a happier racing career) over there in the future.

9. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright

Ratings:
    +1,805
    That could be the possible end goal but too early to say and he doesn't have enough super license points yet.

https://racer.com/2019/05/09/oward-joins-red-bull-junior-team/

I agree, Rossi is much better off here, and happier I think. But you need a seat and there just aren't many available, and good ones are rarer than hen's teeth.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. boomn

boomn

Ratings:
    +16
    And now there is a rumor that he could even be in line for the Super Formula seat that Ticktum is losing. Wow, things could be moving quickly for Pato! I hope he is ready for the sudden, huge pressure and speculation that will be coming his way

• Like Like x 1
  11. farjam

farjam

Ratings:
    +217
    Yeah i heard that too, it seems not only ticktum lost his SuperFormula seat , he is completely finished for redbull too lol
    roller coaster is starting for pato :D

His first practice in F2 done,
    "P18 (1.5 off P1) but a mere 2 tenths off his experienced team mate. Over 20 laps completed." will buxton said

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  12. farjam

farjam

Ratings:
    +217
    Ok, it's official, Patricio Oward will replace dan ticktum in Mugen team for the rest of superformula 2019 season(4 races remain from the season)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.