IndyCar Star Patricio O'Ward To Make F2 Debut This Weekend

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Patricio O'Ward F2 Debut.jpg

Red Bull Junior and sometime Carlin IndyCar driver Patricio O'Ward is set to make his F2 debut this weekend in Austria.

The highly rated Mexican driver is set to step into the Formula 2 MP Motorsport car vacated by Mahaveer Raghunathan this weekend in Austria, returning to European competition following the Indians race ban from the Formula One supporting category.

Having engaged in a part season of the NTT IndyCar Series for 2019, O'Ward is taking the opportunity to broaden his racing experience by making a much anticipated first start in the FIA Formula 2 category at Austria's Red Bull Ring this coming weekend - marking a return to European competition for the first time since his seventh place finish in the 2014 French F4 series for Auto Sport Academy.

Outgoing MP Motorsport driver Raghunathan incurred the wrath of the FIA for a messy weekend of super licence penalty point gathering last time out at Paul Ricard, but should return to the series for the British round in Silverstone on the weekend of July 12th - 14th.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Brandon Wright

I may not be fast, but I'm wide!
I hope we haven't seen the last of Pato in IndyCar, but I'm afraid that is likely the case. Glad I got to see him race in person a few times before he left. He made a big impression in a short time and I look forward to watching him race wherever it may be.

Indy Car "star" is a bit of a reach especially being just a rookie, 1 top ten in 7 starts and failed to qualify for the Indy 500, sitting 22nd place out of 23 full time drivers and 5th in the rookie race. Maybe he'll do better across the pond.

Indy Car "star" is a bit of a reach especially being just a rookie, 1 top ten in 7 starts and failed to qualify for the Indy 500, sitting 22nd place out of 23 full time drivers and 5th in the rookie race. Maybe he'll do better across the pond.

Did you see the races?? He had a lot of bad luck and dont forget he drives a Carlin. I mean, you only have to see Max Chilton struggling to dont be the last.

Brandon Wright

Highly rated by who? Mexicans? This guy's resume shows he is a nobody.

I'm not a Mexican, but I rate him highly (I'm not holding his time in a Carlin Crapwagon this year against him). I'm guessing you haven't seen his resume?

- 2016 Runner-up in Pro Mazda
- 2017 24 Hours of Daytona Class Champion
- 2017 12 Hours of Sebring Class Champion
- 2017 IMSA Prototype Challenge Champion
- 2018 Indy Lights Champion
- 2019 Semi-Final rounds of both the ROC Driver's Cup and Nation's Cup
- 2019 Signed to the Red Bull Junior Team

I'm sure your racing resume is far superior but Pato's is nothing to sneeze at. :thumbsup:

I'm not a Mexican, but I rate him highly (I'm not holding his time in a Carlin Crapwagon this year against him). I'm guessing you haven't seen his resume?

- 2016 Runner-up in Pro Mazda
- 2017 24 Hours of Daytona Class Champion
- 2017 12 Hours of Sebring Class Champion
- 2017 IMSA Prototype Challenge Champion
- 2018 Indy Lights Champion
- 2019 Semi-Final rounds of both the ROC Driver's Cup and Nation's Cup
- 2019 Signed to the Red Bull Junior Team

Last part is interesting, Red Bull looking at putting him into the F1 team maybe?

However I'm biased. Stay in Indycar, you will have much better chance of winning (and just generally having a happier racing career) over there in the future.

Brandon Wright

Last part is interesting, Red Bull looking at putting him into the F1 team maybe?

That could be the possible end goal but too early to say and he doesn't have enough super license points yet.

https://racer.com/2019/05/09/oward-joins-red-bull-junior-team/

However I'm biased. Stay in Indycar, you will have much better chance of winning (and just generally having a happier racing career) over there in the future.

I agree, Rossi is much better off here, and happier I think. But you need a seat and there just aren't many available, and good ones are rarer than hen's teeth.

Last edited:
And now there is a rumor that he could even be in line for the Super Formula seat that Ticktum is losing. Wow, things could be moving quickly for Pato! I hope he is ready for the sudden, huge pressure and speculation that will be coming his way

And now there is a rumor that he could even be in line for the Super Formula seat that Ticktum is losing. Wow, things could be moving quickly for Pato! I hope he is ready for the sudden, huge pressure and speculation that will be coming his way
Yeah i heard that too, it seems not only ticktum lost his SuperFormula seat , he is completely finished for redbull too lol
roller coaster is starting for pato :D

His first practice in F2 done,
"P18 (1.5 off P1) but a mere 2 tenths off his experienced team mate. Over 20 laps completed." will buxton said

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 80 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 117 27.9%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 69 16.5%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 41 9.8%