Image sharpening

I had a bit of time to play around with image sharpening this morning.
It makes a massive difference as seen from the cockpit in ACC.
I have it set to max and ran two installation laps at Barcelona in the wet.
It looked very natural from inside and outside of the car.

Last edited:
Indeed looks natural. Will give it a try myself.
Just a quick question: Both in VR and 2D I have 'flickering billboards' any idea how to solve that? Read several forums but could not find an answer quickly. I've set it to the recommended Temporal AA. Is that correct? Thanks!

Indeed looks natural. Will give it a try myself.
Just a quick question: Both in VR and 2D I have 'flickering billboards' any idea how to solve that? Read several forums but could not find an answer quickly. I've set it to the recommended Temporal AA. Is that correct? Thanks!
I'm set to KTAA.
What are your specs?
NV_driver1.PNG
NV_driver2.PNG
AC2-Win64-Shipping 2020-01-17 06-29-39-94 (FILEminimizer).jpg
AC2-Win64-Shipping 2020-01-17 06-30-13-78 (FILEminimizer).jpg
AC2-Win64-Shipping 2020-01-17 06-30-58-91 (FILEminimizer).jpg
AC2-Win64-Shipping 2020-01-17 06-31-45-88 (FILEminimizer).jpg
AC2-Win64-Shipping 2020-01-17 06-32-02-38 (FILEminimizer).jpg

Last edited:
What is the recommended ingame Sharpness setting when using the nVidia Sharpener, I tried around a little and it seems best to set it to 0% ingame?
What experience did you guys make with these settings?

Much appreciated!! I've seen so many different 'best settings' and also have to keep personal preference in mind. It became a bit of 'lost in abracadabra' for me.
I copied all your settings after a clean ACC install. I really like them both in 2D and VR mode. In 2D mode will use 4K res and in VR I dial back to 1366x768.

To answer your question: PC is a way too expensive HP Omen, i7-7700k, 32GB, 1080ti-11GB, Oculus Rift CV1, 4K 2D screen. Recently added a dedicated SSD for simracing

As a VR user with a pretty similar setup to yours I just wanted to ask about the sharpening settings you have been playing with.

Are you using the sharpening slider in the sim it’s self or the settings available via the Nvidia control panel, or is it a combination of both as after looking at your screen shots I was left a little unsure, sorry.

With a lot of things set to epic how’s the FPS with the Rift is it holding at 90FPS or are you using re-projection and running at 45FPS.

Thanks.

Jason.

• Deleted member 197115

As a VR user with a pretty similar setup to yours I just wanted to ask about the sharpening settings you have been playing with.

Are you using the sharpening slider in the sim it’s self or the settings available via the Nvidia control panel, or is it a combination of both as after looking at your screen shots I was left a little unsure, sorry.

With a lot of things set to epic how’s the FPS with the Rift is it holding at 90FPS or are you using re-projection and running at 45FPS.

Thanks.

Jason.
NVidia sharpening is for flat screen only.

Thanks for sharing your settings!
Tried them, but found them too aggressive. On my screen it looks oversharpened (49" UW 1080p).
Ingame I have set 100% sharpness and no advanced sharpening activated.
Maybe more suitable to higher resolutions? Or maybe I am too sensitive to sharpening artefacts....

Anyway, I reversed to ReShade and lumasharpen. It has more parameters to fine tune and you can see the result immediately. With the NVIDIA sharpening I had to close down the game and restart to see the effect.

Tried them, but found them too aggressive. On my screen it looks oversharpened (49" UW 1080p).
Maybe more suitable to higher resolutions? Or maybe I am too sensitive to sharpening artefacts....

Anyway, I reversed to ReShade and lumasharpen. It has more parameters to fine tune and you can see the result immediately. With the NVIDIA sharpening I had to close down the game and restart to see the effect.
Nice to have options. Can you share your reshade settings?

My sharpening is also at 100% in game, so the UW may be at fault for the grainy images in your case.
Mine is very 'crisp' with none of that graining....matter of fact it is even smoother with the wet textures.
Look at the floor when entering the pits...specifically the green painted pavement.

My sharpening is also at 100% in game, so the UW may be at fault for the grainy images in your case.
Mine is very 'crisp' with none of that graining....matter of fact it is even smoother with the wet textures.
Look at the floor when entering the pits...specifically the green painted pavement.
I am more concerned about oversharpened edges (white halos), but grain as well.
Good example were the marbles on the ground, which kind of stood out. They didn't blend with the asphalt and loked like they were almost hovering above ground.
It is down to preferences really. Same with colour temperatures, etc. It just didn't feel natural to me.
And of course different hardware will produce different results, that's for sure.
It's good that we have options! :thumbsup:

Sorry, which reshade add-ons did you install/use, only lumasharpen, none of the others (ie. AdaptiveSharpen, Clarity, etc.)?
Exactly. I feel lumasharpen is the scalpel, while adaptivesharpen is more of a broadsword. May serve you well though. I am used to use lumasharpen also in a similar way for photography.
I just use the latest version from reshade.me
You could add some other colour filters, but I do not feel it is necessary if your monitor is setup correctly. Also here I use warmer setups, less contrasty.

Tks for sharing!!! I installed the reshade but I lost F12 function to take in game shots. How can I fix that??? I tried everything and no success. Can someone help me?
Strange. Reshade 'should' use POS1 / HOME key for the ReShade menu. At least that how it is for me. You can use the PRINT key also to take screenshots.
Screenshots will be stored in the same folder as the AC2 executable IIRC.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back