Illegal mods, steer clear of them. Simracing604, we stand with you too.

Before CM had that feature a lot slipped through, as it required manually decompiling and checking each line. There's quite a few of the "better" early mods that turned out to be full physics rips much later.

Kunos had a laissez-faire principle early on, obviously knowing we'd be looking into the innerts of every new car searching for new features like the AWD codes or AXLE physics. They were lazy with adding everything to the SDK as we'd find it out earlier anyway ;)

And I see a huge difference between cheap sourceless models propped up on 100% ripped physics, and like the handcrafted Alfa above using the (inherently tricky to make) solid rear axle that is even period and brand correct.

@AccAkut Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly. There's a huge difference between the mentioned Alfa Romeo mod, and a mod that's entirely uses ripped physics.

I always thought Kunos was very much against opening up data files, but you might be right about this as well.

I wasn't around in the earlier days of AC before Kunos has closed the modding forum on their site, so it's good to know that their stance might not be as strict as I thought it was. Especially since that CM tool wasn't around back then, and checking every single car mod data would've been just way too much work.

Thank you for your answers guys!

Last edited:
My stance is: Life is too short for good forza models on **** cheap forza physics. (Or any rich console "simulator").

As long as people don't try to gain financially from stealing 3D models, I don't care.
You would care if it was your own work and you were trying to gain something financially for it yourself. Just because people distribute something for free doesn't make it right, nor does it protect you should the original developer decide to embark on a copyright lawsuit. RD is absolutely right with it's policies

So I keep seeing reports that Simdream just steal mods and sell them as their own but the issue I have is that I never see these mods anywhere else....so who are they stealing them from?

For example, the new 963 Hypercar (and other LMH cars on their site). I can't find it anywhere else...surely if they had stolen the mod why isn't the original author saying "I am the legit creator, buy my mod instead"?

Some creators steal the physics and handling models and things like that, but legitimately build car models to bolt onto them.

So I keep seeing reports that Simdream just steal mods and sell them as their own but the issue I have is that I never see these mods anywhere else....so who are they stealing them from?

For example, the new 963 Hypercar (and other LMH cars on their site). I can't find it anywhere else...surely if they had stolen the mod why isn't the original author saying "I am the legit creator, buy my mod instead"?
Are there any facts and details?

lmao

2002 for example was made for GP4, stolen, converted and sold. How I know it? I'm one of the original authors, I recognize my works. There was plenty of GP4 stuff sold that we had removed after much hassle.

Many of the stuff never was originally made for AC, instead released for free for other games. How do you suppose the original author should say "buy mine"?

Amazed by your ignorance.

lmao

2002 for example was made for GP4, stolen, converted and sold. How I know it? I'm one of the original authors, I recognize my works. There was plenty of GP4 stuff sold that we had removed after much hassle.

Many of the stuff never was originally made for AC, instead released for free for other games. How do you suppose the original author should say "buy mine"?

When was this? I know they used stolen assets before but are they STILL doing that?

When was this? I know they used stolen assets before but are they STILL doing that?
My dude, this scandal is 2 and a half years old. After it happened, they quickly backed into a spot and said they were reviewing their practices and making sure nothing of the sort would happen again. That's after they wrongfully copyright stroked simracing604 to the point his channel was about to be shut down by youtube. I was involved in the thick of this scandal at the time as it was my sounds they were using on their 2021 cars and selling the cars while my sounds were free. I've no idea if they still do or not. But what I do know is their content is not good quality, not accurate (physics etc) and absolutely not worth the money when you have great modding teams like VRC, URD, RSS etc making excellent and very detailed (as much as can be) mods with very good physics and sounds. I've no idea how good their 963 is but my advice would be to hold off until a well established name releases their unlicensed version. It'll be a night and day difference. And the reason why you don't see anything now about people being outraged at their stuff is because as I said this scandal is 2 and a half years old. Even I unlisted my video I made regarding their practices and stealing my work. Because it's just not relevant anymore and I didn't want to get views beating a dead horse so to speak. Had you seen the reaction at the time you'd of course have known the extent of stealing they did. But now you don't see much because it's old news and maybe they fixed their ways. But I'm not gonna be the one to go buy their stuff to see what it's like when I know it won't hold a candle to the likes of great modding teams we have already who have built up a reputation over years of hard genuine work.

Last edited:
lmao

I get it. I have purchased most of the content from URD, RSS, and VRC. Since SimRacing604 reviews these, I assume they are not solen. I have not purchased mods/skins from any other sources.

I will say that there is a lot of content, skins etc, on RD these days that is clearly for cars that aren't on RD because they are ripped straight from Forza etc.

At the time it was considered very no-bueno to upload content for ripped cars (like for example someone had a go at fixing the Rebellion R13 that SD put out) but it doesn't really seem to be enforced any more.

I will say that there is a lot of content, skins etc, on RD these days that is clearly for cars that aren't on RD because they are ripped straight from Forza etc.

At the time it was considered very no-bueno to upload content for ripped cars (like for example someone had a go at fixing the Rebellion R13 that SD put out) but it doesn't really seem to be enforced any more.
There's also quite a few ripped cars on RD now. The RD moderators rely on us users to check and report those... but many of those of us that did that for years simply aren't around much these days or have altogether moved on.
Tho iirc skins and stuff for ripped cars were allowed as long as they didn't contain the car itself? Surely a grey area.

Last edited:
lmao

the 2002 mod sucked even in gp4 lol. gp4 mods got worse and worse in gp4 as the years went along, the car models looked nice, but no one could work out how to use the sound engine to make realistic sound mods, and as the years went along the physics of all the gp4 mods just got worse and worse as the modders had no idea at all, and refused to play rfactor to test against their lame mods. at least in assetto they felt more realistic. i used to love gp4, but would never go back to it to play any mods, gp3 was more realistic for physics, while gp4 was completely on rails driving, which was great for when it came out but sucked as soon as rfactor came out.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back