If using a gamepad with AC is XBox 360 or XBox One controller better?

Hi - I just picked up AC and the first 3 Dream packs in the current 40% off Steam sale, I will eventually be buying a wheel (probably the Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition package), but that's probably a few months off, as need to sort out some space issues first.

So - i'll be using a gamepad for now. I have both an XBox 360 controller (wired) and XBox One Elite controller (with wireless dongle), which currently would be best for use in AC? In Raceroom I've been using the XBox 360 controller, as although the sticks are much less sensitive, there is "slip" and "bump" vibration in-game, whereas Raceroom doesn't currently support *any* vibrations, which makes it much harder to know how the car is behaving when cornering etc.

Also if anyone has some good XBox 360 or XBox One controller settings to try, please let me know! Thanks

I can't comment on the controllers Paul, but if you're serious about these games and truly enjoy them, a wheel is a part of that experience get one, you wont look back.

Hope you get some good info from controller users to hold you over until your wheel comes. Have fun racing.

I can't comment on the controllers Paul, but if you're serious about these games and truly enjoy them, a wheel is a part of that experience get one, you wont look back.

Hope you get some good info from controller users to hold you over until your wheel comes. Have fun racing.

Yes, having played Raceroom with just a controller, it's usable but I've come to realise that you really do need a wheel for a proper experience - the only reason I haven't got one sooner is that I have very little space... With a bit of re-organisation I might just have enough space for a Wheelstand Pro in my little office space, so that's probably what I'll use (clamping a wheel to the desk is not an option, for various reasons).

From a quick read of the official AC forums, it sounds like unfortunately (as the thumbsticks are less precise) the XBox 360 controller is still the preferred controller, because although the XBox One controller does have vibrations in AC, they're somehow messed up. Also there's no support for the haptic "Impulse Triggers" on brake and throttle (unlike Forza 6 Apex on PC...)

The analogue advantages of the xOne far outdo the better vibration on the x360. Tighter deadzone, smoother action around it so that L-R spring transitions don't unbalance the car, and longer throw on the triggers does wonders. Just tone down vibration on the xOne to a very low level so it doesn't clip with rpm too soon.

The analogue advantages of the xOne far outdo the better vibration on the x360. Tighter deadzone, smoother action around it so that L-R spring transitions don't unbalance the car, and longer throw on the triggers does wonders. Just tone down vibration on the xOne to a very low level so it doesn't clip with rpm too soon.

Okay, thanks - I've been trying the XBox One controller with only 16% vibrations and the other controller settings posted here. I've turned all assists off (except Factory ABS and Traction Control) and have found these settings to be usable, at least with the GT cars I've been trying.

For the vibration effects, the controller seems to vibrate all the time (as did the 360 controller, only less) - is there a way to reduce the constant rumble, but to increase the "slip" effect, so that you can feel when you starting to lose grip?

Unfortunately I can't help you with that, as that's due to they way it reacts to electric impulses differently to the x360. It seems like on x360 the engine hf rumble simply doesn't overpower the lower frequency slip rumble so much. If you have the patience, there's something you might try:

Download the respective x86 or x64 x360ce emulator, and drop the exe in the root folder of the game. Then run it to decompress the xinput wrapper files to emulate a x360 pad, and then you can use the advanced vibration settings to tweak motor response. With some luck, you might make slip more noticeable. If you remove x360ce later, don't forget to delete all the files it creates in it's root folder.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back