I Wouldn't Bet, Unless It's Wet

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Today, Jenson Button confirmed what we already knew. Maintaining if it's raining he could be in with a shot. Last year Fernando Alonso was the winner of the malaysian grand prix, holding off Sergio Perez in rainy conditions as the Mexican charged at him with his Sauber. This year the story is a little different, Perez is at under performing McLaren, managing a 11th place finish at Australia last weekend. While Jenson brought home his McLaren MP4-28 in 9th, Button has hit out after the Australian Grand Prix.

The 2009 Champion, has blasted this years McLaren, over lack of pace and lack of grip. After round one of the 2013 season the McLaren MP4-28 which was quoted by the team being "Revolutional Re-Design" appears to be in the spot light for all the wrong reasons.

The 33 Year old Brit, told The Sun: "I don’t think we can expect an improvement in our fortunes but the thing about Malaysia is that it can be so unpredictable. The late start time on Sunday tends to see late-afternoon showers fall. We know that the unpredictable weather can make it a lottery for everyone. That’s something that could play into our hands — I do enjoy driving in changeable conditions. I would love the challenge of being able to run competitively in a car that we all know is not quite capable of challenging for wins yet.”

Rain seems to be the only way we will see the McLaren team on the podium at Malaysia, in a car that was designed by - On Gardening Leave - Paddy Lowe, who is bound for Mercedes next season. Team principal Martin Whitmarsh has also played down any chances of winning at Malaysia, he too is also hoping for rainy/unpredictable conditions. Which should ease the enormous pressure that he is under, for the under performing McLaren.

Martin Whitmarsh was reported saying: “Clearly our performance in Australia last weekend was not up to our high expectations. We have been working tirelessly to bring additional performance to the car but the short turnaround between rounds one and two means we’ll arrive in Malaysia with less scope to improve our fortunes. This weekend, however, will provide us with additional opportunities to understand our car’s behaviour and to increase our under-standing of the package.”

Whitmarsh therefore confirms our suspicions from yesterday, that not alot (if any) updates will be available for the team at the Malaysia Grand Prix. However, all is no unrest at camp McLaren, Sergio Perez and Jenson Button both believe Tim Goss is the man who can iron out any creases in the team and take the team onwards and upwards. According to Jenson, Goss is the man behind the 2008 championship winning car, last years car and believes he will fix this years car too.

Maybe Lewis Hamilton had a inkling of what was about to happen at McLaren when he wanted to get away from McLaren last season, when he signed the high profile transfer to Mercedes - Lewis Hamilton Considered Leaving F1

Meanwhile, The helmet of the last Grand Prix winner Kimi Raikkonen (Lotus). Has been seen on a desk outside the Lotus motorhome with the words "Rain" wrote across a sticker on the visor. A quick weather check from the circuit reveals 'isolated tunderstorm' for the Sunday's Malaysian Grand Prix.

Visit our dedicated F1 2013 Malaysian Grand Prix thread, to discuss anything related to the upcoming GP!
View the Post on the Blog

Ferrari started really bad last season and finished it fighting for the WDC in the last race, so there is still hope for McLaren if they have some luck on their side and they prove to be as good developing the car as they were in other seasons.

The gap in Australia was huge, but we can't forget Vettel was -1.5 from the third position car in Australia, but sink during the race, so I don't think we really saw the real potential of each car.

Ferrari started really bad last season and finished it fighting for the WDC in the last race

But Ferrari had a #1 - driver called Alonso, while McLaren only have a #1 - driver called Button. Same dude who finished 5th in the standings with the quickest car last year and unlike his teammate, without that much bad luck.
Yeah Button isn't in the same league as Alonso...

So out of all of the drivers, who would you say is the Best overall driver.

I'm a die hard Lewis Hamilton fan, But I say Alonso! He has some serious skill that guy!

Diehard Hamilton fan here too but it would be ignorant to not say Alonso as the best driver right now.
He produces magic on such a consistent basis it´s crazy.
Great watching the opening lap, you know Alonso started 5th but when they are at the last corner he´s third and you´re like wtf just happened here? how the hell did he do that?

Some of his starts have been INSANE. Monza 2012, and Spain 2011 was ridiculous.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back