I have rift

so whats the verdict on the rift Jim i am very very tempted
Well I'm a week into the experience and I'm still getting used to it but it's a different ball game. You don't have the beautiful graphics of looking at a monitor but it's not bad, some tracks look great and others not so. Immersion is the key factor though and it's absolutely amazing!! If you can afford it buy it.

What do you mean 4k?
For single player hot lapping I have the display set to 3840 × 2160 @ 59hz refresh. (I adjust the display down according to number of AI opponents if any performance hit is felt depending on track)

The display in the Occulus Rift DK2 display is set to that high resolution via the AC display option. It is smooth and flawless.

The menus are of course very small at this resolution but in car view is so life like now the immersion is almost complete - with well textured cars of course. My current favourite is the F40 Competizione.

I have a 4K 49" curved Samsung TV as the display for the PC to watch replays and use when not using the DK2 headset.

The PC is a 16GB Ram i7 6700, with Samsung M2 internal SSD and ASUS GTX1080 video card.

I believe setting resolution / refresh rate in AC has little effect on the actual resolution and framerate that the Oculus runtime sends to the device.

So no matter what you set in the game, you'll be seeing 960x1080 75hz or whatever it is in the actual DK2.

I believe setting resolution / refresh rate in AC has little effect on the actual resolution and framerate that the Oculus runtime sends to the device.

So no matter what you set in the game, you'll be seeing 960x1080 75hz or whatever it is in the actual DK2.

Yes, this extreme resolution setting is really for the benefit of non-DK2 observers watching on the screen.
They see an actual resolution display of what the DK2 user sees.

My poorly structured sentence made it seem as if I am forcing the DK2 to some higher resolution.

Truth be known you can set the in game resolution to the 480 x 640 and it still looks the same to me in the Rift. Of course the overlaid menus are huge and you see about 4 icons on screen at once but observers would see a horribly compressed weirdly stretched view.

Last edited:
I don't know many people, but those I do know have no interest in watching me making a fool of myself chasing pixels, so I've never had that problem!
I only recently put a setup together in my office - before that I was sim-racing in the living room in front of the 70" flat screen - so that shared resource always has observers no matter if GTA5, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Forza, Gran Turismo or Assetto Corsa was being played.

The selectable resolution in menu only affects the HUD, period. You can´t, yet, use external super resolution like Nvidias DSR to affect the resolution either. You can only up the PPI/pixel density in said ini-file, which does the same as DSR/downsampling/whatever :)
Anything past 2.0 PPI in the Rift is wasting GPU power with little to no improved image.
Imagine 4K/8K displays with PPI at 3 or 4, then we´re in business!

The selectable resolution in menu only affects the HUD, period. You can´t, yet, use external super resolution like Nvidias DSR to affect the resolution either. You can only up the PPI/pixel density in said ini-file, which does the same as DSR/downsampling/whatever :)
Anything past 2.0 PPI in the Rift is wasting GPU power with little to no improved image.
Imagine 4K/8K displays with PPI at 3 or 4, then we´re in business!
Ah right so even if i set my ingame setting to 1024x768, the rift will still show it's maximum resolution of 2160x1200 (Obviously devide by 2 unless you only have one eye)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back