HP Reverb G2 - User Experiences & Owner Impressions

Mr Latte

Premium
Reports are it may be launching in September 2020 which is earlier than some expected.
I'm seriously considering one of these having had a CV1 in the past and enjoyed VR

Finally, though with this device, now we have image quality that is very good for simulations. Also offering easy setup, superb audio, and nice controllers but all at a good price.

Steam HP Reverb G2
UK Pre-Orders
Manual
Datasheet/Specs

Last edited:
I messed around with the G2 on my i5 desktop with a 1060Ti and didn't seem to have any connection issues or such, but one thing that did surprise was the image quality in Steam VR.

In windows mixed reality the image is sharp, clear and really good, but in Steam VR even in the 'lounge' that is the welcome screen, everything was really blurry, to the point where the text (even large text) was not easy to read, and the pictures representing icons of recently opened stuff was useless due to being so poor. Now I realise that the specs of the PC are not going to allow me to get good framerates in a game, but I would epect static image quality to be unaffected. The fact that in WMR it was good makes me wonder if I have not set something up correctly or don't understand the relationship between the two programs.

Is there some kind of a connection sequence or specific setup with Steam to enable them to work together?

Cheers

Les

Upvote 0
I messed around with the G2 on my i5 desktop with a 1060Ti and didn't seem to have any connection issues or such, but one thing that did surprise was the image quality in Steam VR.

In windows mixed reality the image is sharp, clear and really good, but in Steam VR even in the 'lounge' that is the welcome screen, everything was really blurry, to the point where the text (even large text) was not easy to read, and the pictures representing icons of recently opened stuff was useless due to being so poor. Now I realise that the specs of the PC are not going to allow me to get good framerates in a game, but I would epect static image quality to be unaffected. The fact that in WMR it was good makes me wonder if I have not set something up correctly or don't understand the relationship between the two programs.

Is there some kind of a connection sequence or specific setup with Steam to enable them to work together?

Cheers

Les
Some of us have some success using https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr. Even on the 100% scaling (i.e. no scaling) you can set the sharpness to your liking in the config with this lib and I find it a lot nicer and clearer than SteamVR version.

The only caveat is that in my case there is some flickering in replays but I don't mind that too much and prefer the best racing experience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I finally got a G2 after checking it all out online and reading the reviews, it arrived yesterday. I have plugged it in and tested it on my non-gaming PC just to get it up and running, and the difference from the Oculus I have is really obvious from the moment you start. Yeah, you can see the pixels if you really look, but I can imagine that ten seconds into a race that's forgotten.

However a couple of points I also noticed - firstly, I must have a small or narrow head, as the IPD has to go all the way to the closest setting, and even then I suspect a millimeter more movement would have been better for me

Secondly, I don't know what type of cable I got, but it doesn't have a power button on it; does this mean it's the older more problematic version?

Cheers

Les
I also have mine on the minimum IPD of 60. I must look into the aftermarket ones for a bit more FOV.

Anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket eye pads? Last I looked it was mostly DIY 3D printed stuff.

Upvote 0
Some of us have some success using https://github.com/fholger/openvr_fsr. Even on the 100% scaling (i.e. no scaling) you can set the sharpness to your liking in the config with this lib and I find it a lot nicer and clearer than SteamVR version.

The only caveat is that in my case there is some flickering in replays but I don't mind that too much and prefer the best racing experience.
Thanks, I will look into it! So it isn't just my setup that has less sharpness then
I also have mine on the minimum IPD of 60. I must look into the aftermarket ones for a bit more FOV.

Anyone have any recommendations on aftermarket eye pads? Last I looked it was mostly DIY 3D printed stuff.
I actually ordered my G2 at the same time as the AMVR set for the G2, not least because of the pleather gaskets (one thick, one thin). As I have not used the VR in game yet I can't attest to how much FOV improvement it gives, but I have to say they were a perfect drop in fit, absolutely no modifications. I can certainly recommend them on that basis.

Funny thing, in testing, I was simply not aware of the FOV at all - maybe it's not as important to me but now I think about it, I was not aware of the edges of the screen at any point during the hour or so's use yesterday.

Les

Upvote 0
You can get reasonable resolution, but at terrible frame rates - but remember this is just my desktop PC with all the documents and utility programs, not my game rig. That is an i9 with a 3070 and 32Gb Ram. I was only messing around with the G2 to make sure it worked while I wait for my shipment to arrive

Cheers

Les

Last edited:
Upvote 0
its been a while since I used my G2. prior to installing the motion platform had no issues whatsoever. I tried it recently with full motion and I detected strange..tracking/flickering not sure what the right word is to describe the feeling in iracing. like someone really moves it up/down. i ll try getting my room lit better and switching off the triples in front of me but does anyone have any similar experience during motion? no issues when everything is standing still

Upvote 0
its been a while since I used my G2. prior to installing the motion platform had no issues whatsoever. I tried it recently with full motion and I detected strange..tracking/flickering not sure what the right word is to describe the feeling in iracing. like someone really moves it up/down. i ll try getting my room lit better and switching off the triples in front of me but does anyone have any similar experience during motion? no issues when everything is standing still
What motion hardware/software are you using?
Good lighting is absolutely crucial with the G2, if you have triples on your rig, try printing out simple patterns (a large cross or lots of smaller crosses etc) on paper and tape them so they cover at least the main center of each monitor - these will help tracking and may avoid having to remove your triples.

I use SRS with it's built in motion compensation (provided by Deschadu's OVRMC), which requires a small WIT motion sensor as a virtual tracker (the hand controllers are a waste of time in this regard).
Perfect VR with perfect motion compensation that increases immersion.

Good luck!

PS - If you bought your G2 within the last year (which you likely will have since they released last year), you can call HP to get the updated power cable (with power on/off on the module) which seems to have helped with some of the G2's 'quirks'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's fairly obvious why IMO. The motion platform is moving you, and therefore the headset. hence the headset registers the motion from your motion rig and your view will move up, down, left and right as the motion rig moves you - which unfortunately may make it appear that you jump around in the car.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a full motion system and I have no tracking issues with my G2. Yes some times I get some view drifting them I use the recenter buttons which I mapped for this need.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I have a full motion system and I have no tracking issues with my G2. Yes some times I get some view drifting them I use the recenter buttons which I mapped for this need.
How does it distinguish between head movement and movement from motion rig. Vector of motion is different or something?

Upvote 0
How does it distinguish between head movement and movement from motion rig. Vector of motion is different or something?
I really don’t know but with inside/outside tracking I never had big tracking issues. I had before the Oculus S and now the G2 while with my first Oculus Rift I had these view drifting all the times .

Upvote 0
What motion hardware/software are you using?
Good lighting is absolutely crucial with the G2, if you have triples on your rig, try printing out simple patterns (a large cross or lots of smaller crosses etc) on paper and tape them so they cover at least the main center of each monitor - these will help tracking and may avoid having to remove your triples.

I use SRS with it's built in motion compensation (provided by Deschadu's OVRMC), which requires a small WIT motion sensor as a virtual tracker (the hand controllers are a waste of time in this regard).
Perfect VR with perfect motion compensation that increases immersion.

Good luck!

PS - If you bought your G2 within the last year (which you likely will have since they released last year), you can call HP to get the updated power cable (with power on/off on the module) which seems to have helped with some of the G2's 'quirks'.
I actually received one of the first G2s as I pre-ordered it. Was lucky enough (by 1 day) to read about the issues with G2 (as I said had forgotten it in a drawer) and identified the black screen thing with the loud sound from my external speakers and managed to order a new cable just on the finish line...i had a switch between the 3rd monitor and the G2 so I wouldnt have to swap cables but when I actually plugged the G2 on the 3080ti i havent experienced the issue since (tried it 3-4 times the last couple of weeks). I ll try the paper tracing see if it does something. hardware 4 vertical actuators for now (waiting on my loss of traction platform) supported by SRS software...it feels kinda weird if i move my head fast image seems ok...something between the platform motion and the tracking must be creating this issue...

i saw the motion compensation in SRS but havent used it yet...what kind of sensor do I need for this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

I actually received one of the first G2s as I pre-ordered it. Was lucky enough (by 1 day) to read about the issues with G2 (as I said had forgotten it in a drawer) and identified the black screen thing with the loud sound from my external speakers and managed to order a new cable just on the finish line...i had a switch between the 3rd monitor and the G2 so I wouldnt have to swap cables but when I actually plugged the G2 on the 3080ti i havent experienced the issue since (tried it 3-4 times the last couple of weeks). I ll try the paper tracing see if it does something. hardware 4 vertical actuators for now (waiting on my loss of traction platform) supported by SRS software...it feels kinda weird if i move my head fast image seems ok...something between the platform motion and the tracking must be creating this issue...

i saw the motion compensation in SRS but havent used it yet...what kind of sensor do I need for this?
Any chance you just didn't get 6 DOF tracking properly registered, in this case you would have 3 axes, so moving your head forward/back would move the whole image. It happens occasionally with WMR on first start up.

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

If I put headset on and experience that issue I just go to WMR portal, select Sitting/Standing configuration and click Center.
Much faster than any other methods.

Upvote 0
Just discovered the old news that HP is replacing the G2 cables for free... called their support yesterday, was out of warranty since some weeks but they helped me without problems! Thanks HP! :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back