How would you rate the AI?

You just had to come here and write that didn't you ?
So stereotypical MP worshiper !

You're not helping to make the MP crowd much more popular doing this !

I just don't see the value in trying to campaign for better AI... when better competition is available to you on the very forum you are posting on. :)

:EDIT: Also... campaigning for AI shoehorns Kunos into wasting development money and time on something that in the grand scheme of things is never going to work properly anyway... wouldn't you rather they put effort into physics/cars/tracks etc. ?

Last edited:
I just don't see the value in trying to campaign for better AI... when better competition is available to you on the very forum you are posting on. :)

:EDIT: Also... campaigning for AI shoehorns Kunos into wasting development money and time on something that in the grand scheme of things is never going to work properly anyway... wouldn't you rather they put effort into physics/cars/tracks etc. ?

I think you might be a terrier after all :roflmao:
You think you are much larger and important than you really are :roflmao:

Read and weep

Marco Massarutto ( Kunos Licensing Project Manager ) quote:
"Many people think that the multiplayer and online experience is dramatically important to every racing game. Still if you count the number of users that play online at any time of the day/week with all the available simulators on the market, and then you also count the sales numbers of all the simulators available, you will notice that the online active users are a tiny fraction of the whole sales, even on purely online dedicated sims. So we’re troubled… where are all these people? Why we can’t see more online active users, than 15-20% of the whole sales of all sims even by the most pessimistic sales projections? Obviously because only a small part of the customers have the time and energy to race online regularly."
http://www.simnewsdaily.com/assetto-corsa-exclusive-developer-statement-interview/

Stefano Casillo on Assetto Corsa AI vs Multiplayer
@ 1:18:00

For a 2015 sim, the AI is horrendously bad.
Even games more than a decade ago had better AI than this.

*They stop and park on straights for no reason.
*If they're damaged and about to DNF, they park on the racing line.
*The AI lacks the ability to drive around stopped cars, so they just park up and wait.
*In many cases, a collision will cause the AI to fall through the world.
*AI is unable to detect speed differences and can't take avoiding action.
*AI will often overtake, defend or just drive on the grass instead of on the track.
*AI is unable to detect walls and barriers close to the track, hitting them as if they're blind.
*AI often submarines under other cars, and continue to race with a car on top of them.
*AI overestimates available grip in corners and understeers straight off the road.
*AI lacks the ability to rejoin the track in a safe manner.
*AI swerves for no reason on straights, often hitting other AI or the player.
*AI is ridiculously slow on lap 1
*AI seemingly uses rubber banding in many instances.

So yeah. It's awful, and the lack of improvements since 1.2 is very concerning.

EDIT:

coming from somone who has spent most of his time overseas and on deployments, on consoles and PC's, I do think AI's are important, not every country in this world has the interent we all enjoy at home in the US or in Europe (and even here we have remote places with really horrible internet!) so shoving and pushing all into one drawer is a mistake. knowing how many i got to pickup AC or other games on consoles or PC's while overseas, those guys not knowing the genre and having to learn it with AI!!! yes with AI is the best thing for them and still is, since with very good AI you can become or learn to become a better driver and eventually race/ compete online with other racers and all benefiting from clean racing! (at least so I always hope, i can only speak for myself and buddies I watched getting racing sims on various platforms).
you can't expect everyone to have the expertise and/or be immediate perfect driver and racer, get online and know every track and start competing with all racers online! that is why AI is important, AI is the base for newcomers to start, learn and enjoy racing games, here i can say, i know this since my uncle who is now 68 also got a "normal" budget PC and loves AC on his Logitech G27 (which he got on ebay!) and he loves racing against AI! so yes, AI is important and for all companies, studios and publishers it is d**** time and their fre***** job to make sure AI's get better and better and better, almost human like!!!! what all games have now is a joke! they are on the right way/ path to get AI better, but development of proper AI has been missed last 10years, neglected you could surely say!
...and yes, I admit, after a long day of work, family, home craziness 14-16hrs...even I enjoy getting into my rig and racing against AI to relax and enjoy a good race!

So yeah. It's awful, and the lack of improvements since 1.2 is very concerning.

1.3 was never dedicated to AI, there were minor improvements, but that wasn't the focus.
At least there were improvements, I'll take what I can get.

And at least Kunos are happy to admit their Sims weaknesses as such instead of brush them under the carpet with nonsense like "We're a serious sim, we don't support x,y,z".

They're still young and still learning their own brand new engine. Give them time and a bit of patience, Rome wasn't built in a day.

for me in areas i think the AI is pretty challenging in AC. And just as enjoyable as our friends fav sim.

its better than the CM f1 games ai and as long as they overtake you and their fast thats something.

1.3 was never dedicated to AI, there were minor improvements, but that wasn't the focus.
At least there were improvements, I'll take what I can get.

And at least Kunos are happy to admit their Sims weaknesses as such instead of brush them under the carpet with nonsense like "We're a serious sim, we don't support x,y,z".

They're still young and still learning their own brand new engine. Give them time and a bit of patience, Rome wasn't built in a day.

No matter if the update wasn't dedicated to the AI, the changelog still said "AI improvements", of which there are very few to find. Many of the most severe issues, from pre 1.2 even, has still not been addressed, and that leaves the offline racing in tatters.

Actually, I don't find that Kunos is too good at admitting weaknesses.
Criticize the AI for example, and you're likely to get banned or have your thread closed.
Receiving criticism is a weakness of Kunos', and if they keep it up, they will further alienate their fans and potential future users.

And the excuse about the brand new engine doesn't hold up regarding AI, I'm afraid.
It has been clearly documented that Kunos has more than a decade worth of experience in coding AI.

Even if that was not the case, Assetto Corsa is now out of early access, and has been for quite some time. You can't release a fully priced title like this without having functional AI. You just can't.

I can understand releasing a sim title where the cars and tracks are somewhat WIP and will receive future updates for further refinement... I can understand that features too may need further refinement and updates along the way.

But the AI in AC needs more than just refinement, that's clear to see.

wouldnt say not functional ai... somehow.

have you even updated the game since 1.1// maybe check your internet connection?

Don't condescend, please.

And I saw the unedited reply before you changed your mind about the name calling.
Please start acting like an adult around forums. It's much more becoming.

On topic, I'd say AI that can't stick to the track and within the track limits is not functional AI.
It's a racing game, so therefore I should expect competent racing in that game, wouldn't you say?

I tested on 1.3.2 so does that mean that particular combo has been fixed?
I think it means you're a fanboy who's been blinded to the truths which is that sometimes AI cars stop for no reason, the AI driver gets out, and shoots out your tires, after you perfectly legitimately flashed your headlights and then PITed them off the road. Frankly the game is unplayable due to this incredibly common bug.

hex I don't have time for this anymore, or listening to your anti -AC crusade so why don't you do you and us and massive favour and uninstall AC for good. ay? and just play your beloved rf2, I think you would be missing out , but clearly from your attitude you wont be..

then the forums would be a nicer place, and while your at it, tell your mate associator (the funny rating guy) to do the same thing.

that makes it even worst and actually more so disappointing that they do not have proper AI coding...a decade of AI coding, and this is the result?
Again don't get me wrong not bashing KS nor their AI, enjoy racing against AI and loving it, just simply think AI across all games need urgent and massive re-coding/ complete overhaul! all of them, not only AC! i am sure it has to do with system/ performance impact and limitations too, but would be a nice fresh breeze across the genre to something new impacting the AI generally speaking...

hex I don't have time for this anymore, or listening to your anti -AC crusade so why don't you do you and us and massive favour and uninstall AC for good. ay? and just play your beloved rf2, I think you would be missing out , but clearly from your attitude you wont be..

then the forums would be a nicer place, and while your at it, tell your mate associator (the funny rating guy) to do the same thing.

Yet you take the time to reply anyway? If you don't have time to discuss things you either love or hate (or feel neutral about) regarding sim racing, why not just stop discussing it? It seems to very draining for you, and it is certainly time consuming. I'm not being sarcastic here, btw. Sometimes it's really good to just get away from something that bugs you, get some fresh air, clear your mind etc.

Discussion forums will always be full of people you disagree with. You can't ask them all to leave.. Or well , you can, but.. you know what I mean. ;) If you need a reminder: you, sir, created this thread not long ago, asking how people think AC's AI stack up. If you didn't want to hear anything negative about your favorite sim (this week) then perhaps you should have made fewer poll answers? "good", "great", "fantastic" etc.

I paid money for AC, and the DLCs, so no, I'm not going to uninstall it.
There are certain cars and tracks in that game that I care very much about, and combos I want to be able to drive without a plethora of bugs and glitches. The stuff in that game that interests me is why I like discussing it.

If I'm giving AC a hard time it's because I think it deserves a hard time, considering what was promised versus what was actually delivered. BTW, If you disagree with me, I'm not going to tell you to leave the forum.. You can stay as long as you like. ;)

http://www.netkar-pro.com/devreports/2004_09_30.htm

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back