How to Cook

Im going to admit I am a terrible cook, I barely ever cook and what I do cook is either simple or just plain rubbish :p So I have some culinary questions for those who do know the dark arts.

The recipe says simmer for 5-10 mins, what the hell is that? I can either make it boil or go cold, I cant seem to find an intermediate tempreture. How do I do that?!

Simmering is boiling on a temperature closer to the point of no-boiling. It is kinda hard if the recipe says that you cannot boil it. However, with something like rice, you heat the water until it boils, then put down the temperature, so it doesn't boil anymore (but stays hot).
On an oven, with, say 12 different temperatures (1-12, where 12 is the hottest). My guess will be that you will be able to simmer it on around 2-3, rice is usually made on 1-2 :)

Crikey, this was bloody hard to try to explain on english...

Simmering is boiling on a temperature closer to the point of no-boiling. It is kinda hard if the recipe says that you cannot boil it. However, with something like rice, you heat the water until it boils, then put down the temperature, so it doesn't boil anymore (but stays hot).
On an oven, with, say 12 different temperatures (1-12, where 12 is the hottest). My guess will be that you will be able to simmer it on around 2-3, rice is usually made on 1-2 :)

Crikey, this was bloody hard to try to explain on english...

Couldn't of explained it better myself:thumbsup:

Hmmm.....This could be an interesting thread, I like cooking but hate doing it just for myself....
Meanwhile, here's a tip Im always answering to friends....
"How do I know if an egg is good or bad?"
Put it in a glass of water, if it floats back up clear off the bottom it's no good.
Most times it'll just touch bottom but thats OK, there's a little gas pocket in eggs that causes this....

BLeeK's Basic Bloke Cake.
(Tea Cake)

2x cup of flour
2xEggs (add a 3rd egg if your using a large cup/schooner glass
1X Table spoon of Butter/margarine
Half a cup of sugar
1& a half X Cup of milk

Switch over on @180degrees C/356F.
Drop in dry ingredients & eggs & butter & stir, when evenly mixed start adding milk until a nice thick yet 'running' mix is achieved
(check by holding mixing spoon up, most should run off slowly...)
Nows the time to add dried fruit or what-not, but NOT chocolate drops if using them-they'll just sink, add them later....
Grab a cake tin & butter the bottom & sides (inside of course) to help to keep cake from sticking....
Once tin is buttered add cake mix & if using choc' chips add them now
Finally, sprinkle a little raw sugar on top & place in oven for 45minutes or until you can stick a knife in & pull it out without any 'wet' mix coming out on it.

Gently remove cake & allow time to cool off.
Well done, you needn't buy another cake mix again now! ;)
Next lesson- How to make a bread & Jam Pudding, but for now, how about a recipe for that Bernaise sauce, it sounds great!

Hmmm.....This could be an interesting thread, I like cooking but hate doing it just for myself....
Meanwhile, here's a tip Im always answering to friends....
"How do I know if an egg is good or bad?"
Put it in a glass of water, if it floats back up clear off the bottom it's no good.
Most times it'll just touch bottom but thats OK, there's a little gas pocket in eggs that causes this....

BLeeK's Basic Bloke Cake.
(Tea Cake)

2x cup of flour
2xEggs (add a 3rd egg if your using a large cup/schooner glass
1X Table spoon of Butter/margarine
Half a cup of sugar
1& a half X Cup of milk

Switch over on @180degrees C/356F.
Drop in dry ingredients & eggs & butter & stir, when evenly mixed start adding milk until a nice thick yet 'running' mix is achieved
(check by holding mixing spoon up, most should run off slowly...)
Nows the time to add dried fruit or what-not, but NOT chocolate drops if using them-they'll just sink, add them later....
Grab a cake tin & butter the bottom & sides (inside of course) to help to keep cake from sticking....
Once tin is buttered add cake mix & if using choc' chips add them now
Finally, sprinkle a little raw sugar on top & place in oven for 45minutes or until you can stick a knife in & pull it out without any 'wet' mix coming out on it.

Gently remove cake & allow time to cool off.
Well done, you needn't buy another cake mix again now! ;)
Next lesson- How to make a bread & Jam Pudding, but for now, how about a recipe for that Bernaise sauce, it sounds great!

I tried this once, and the eggs floated....then sunk.....then floated, and bobbed all over the place. Then I got some eggs I knew were fresh and they did the same thing!

I think the cooking world hates me. Or perhaps I dont care for it much :p

I was gonna say get a girlfriend or get married but that doesn't always work out........
My wife's interpretation of BOILED (i.e. cooked in WATER) eggs:
P9240004.jpg

No fancy egg timer needed, they make quite a loud bang when they are ready and parts of them stick to the ceiling, if yours don't stick to the ceiling they may be a tad underdone!.

and then we have a Microwave meal, one of the simplest things you can cook, comes with a picture showing you the scrummy stuff you are going to be eating and full cooking INSTRUCTIONS.
P1010002.jpg

and yet this is what I was presented with
P1010010.jpg

hmmm tasty.

I was gonna say get a girlfriend or get married but that doesn't always work out........
My wife's interpretation of BOILED (i.e. cooked in WATER) eggs:
P9240004.jpg

No fancy egg timer needed, they make quite a loud bang when they are ready and parts of them stick to the ceiling, if yours don't stick to the ceiling they may be a tad underdone!.

and then we have a Microwave meal, one of the simplest things you can cook, comes with a picture showing you the scrummy stuff you are going to be eating and full cooking INSTRUCTIONS.
P1010002.jpg

and yet this is what I was presented with
P1010010.jpg

hmmm tasty.

4f35923e34365_bitch-please.png

Chocolate Mousse á la Eric:

579110_451307411561753_100000474939874_1701158_1994225985_a.jpg

562197_451307288228432_100000474939874_1701157_632314490_n.jpg

"Cookies" (@Erik Tveit):

390176_332771720081990_100000474939874_1344947_1654783736_a.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?