RD Series on Simracing.GP

Daily WTCR races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Endurance races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT3 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP Weekly GT4 Sprint Races on Simracing.GP

How often do you pay list price for a sim?

GeekyDeaks

Premium
There was a discussion on the ACC forum on the rising costs of sims and how you may unknowingly pay rather a lot once you total up all the DLC over a period of time. As I am a complete cheapskate, I very rarely pay list price for any game, so I was wondering if this was something others were a bit more blasé about.

I usually use the quarter years sales on Steam, not only for racing titles. I also never buy titles at release. I wait for a final or at least matured game...1-2 Years later. I prefer GOTY games or whole packages rather than buying a new game and DLC by DLC. Also I never intent to invest more than 20€ per title in total.

If this was just for racing sims then yes, I usually always get the title on early access, (which is usually cheaper than the full title at launch), and the DLCs, (if it's a title I really like and race in regularly), then usually instabuy.
(unless it's rF2 with Formula E or that weird pretend car they brought out recently)

If it's for games, then I rarely buy them at launch and wait for a decent sale for around 50%+ off.
You could say the minimal amount spent on Sim Racing software and DLCs is offset by the reduction in game titles I buy on sale :)

UHF79

Premium
I stopped Sim racing a few years back but when Sim titles and DLC came up on silly sales I bought them as I knew i'd be coming back (which i have), so i've bought almost everything I own whilst on sale!

Ole Marius Myrvold

JWB 96-13
Staff
Premium
Almost never. But I think that's more down to my gaming habits.
I buy most of the rF2 DLC's for full price, but that's more down to me being the rF2 staff and thus "must" have the DLC. However, I rarely get hyped on new games to the point that I have to get it right away. There will always be a patch or three while I still enjoy playing whatever I have.

Actually, thinking about it, I also bought DiRT Rally 2 when it came. I guess I buy it at list price if it's something I need as a RD-staff, but not otherwise.

Well there is not exactly one answer which i would fit in.

But overall i have no problem to pay the full price for a sim or a game, which i know i will have hundereds of hours fun with.

In short: Game depending.

For example I would never pay a full price for a Project Cars or Dirt game again...

But next Kunos or Simbin game. ... blind instant buy

GeekyDeaks

Premium
Where's the "I got it cheap in Early Access" option?
Good point! :D - I was trying to keep the options simple to get a general feeling of how much of a considered purchase the sim is to most people, but I think this is something I should have added instead of the last one

Shovas

Premium
Almost 60% are 'almost never'. Makes sense.

Publishers and customers play a game trying to max their own value.

Games are almost never worth list and certainly always worth more than their deepest discount (think 80%+ discount on AC but the value is incredible).

Almost 60% are 'almost never'. Makes sense.

Publishers and customers play a game trying to max their own value.

Games are almost never worth list and certainly always worth more than their deepest discount (think 80%+ discount on AC but the value is incredible).

I must disagre here. For example in Germany a full price game (lets say 50€) is like 2x McD with wife and children.
I don`t say 50€ is worth nothing, not at all, but in comparsation how expensive food or housing are, its just a fair price for me.

Shovas

Premium
I must disagre here. For example in Germany a full price game (lets say 50€) is like 2x McD with wife and children.
I don`t say 50€ is worth nothing, not at all, but in comparsation how expensive food or housing are, its just a fair price for me.
Yep, totally see your point of view, that's how the game is played : )

It's always a careful balancing act to get the most return for the perceived value of price points.

Last edited:

GeekyDeaks

Premium
You know, I never thought about it this way, but I have another example on similar lines. I used to go watch my local football team play when they were at home, but once the kids grew up and wanted to go with me, I ended up deciding to stop since it was costing around £100 for all of us to go see one match.... that's nearly £1 a minute....

You know, I never thought about it this way, but I have another example on similar lines. I used to go watch my local football team play when they were at home, but once the kids grew up and wanted to go with me, I ended up deciding to stop since it was costing around £100 for all of us to go see one match.... that's nearly £1 a minute....
ok, so also from your point of view a full price game should be a fair price.

ps: i guess championship ? premier league is even more expencive isn`t it ?

GeekyDeaks

Premium
ok, so also from your point of view a full price game should be a fair price.

ps: i guess championship ? premier league is even more expencive isn`t it ?
This was with Leicester City when they briefly got into the Premier League back in the 90's and the ticket prices were crazy

I'm a bit torn about the full price thing. Since I know that it's common for games to be on sale within about 2 months of release, I'm more inclined to wait as I'll know it'll only bug me when I see it reduced. This is just for normal video games though and I haven't been sim racing long enough to have it put to the test in this genre! :D

Last edited: