How often do you pay list price for a sim?

GeekyDeaks

Staff
Premium
There was a discussion on the ACC forum on the rising costs of sims and how you may unknowingly pay rather a lot once you total up all the DLC over a period of time. As I am a complete cheapskate, I very rarely pay list price for any game, so I was wondering if this was something others were a bit more blasé about.

I usually use the quarter years sales on Steam, not only for racing titles. I also never buy titles at release. I wait for a final or at least matured game...1-2 Years later. I prefer GOTY games or whole packages rather than buying a new game and DLC by DLC. Also I never intent to invest more than 20€ per title in total.

If this was just for racing sims then yes, I usually always get the title on early access, (which is usually cheaper than the full title at launch), and the DLCs, (if it's a title I really like and race in regularly), then usually instabuy.
(unless it's rF2 with Formula E or that weird pretend car they brought out recently)

If it's for games, then I rarely buy them at launch and wait for a decent sale for around 50%+ off.
You could say the minimal amount spent on Sim Racing software and DLCs is offset by the reduction in game titles I buy on sale :)

I stopped Sim racing a few years back but when Sim titles and DLC came up on silly sales I bought them as I knew i'd be coming back (which i have), so i've bought almost everything I own whilst on sale!

Almost never. But I think that's more down to my gaming habits.
I buy most of the rF2 DLC's for full price, but that's more down to me being the rF2 staff and thus "must" have the DLC. However, I rarely get hyped on new games to the point that I have to get it right away. There will always be a patch or three while I still enjoy playing whatever I have.

Actually, thinking about it, I also bought DiRT Rally 2 when it came. I guess I buy it at list price if it's something I need as a RD-staff, but not otherwise.

Well there is not exactly one answer which i would fit in.

But overall i have no problem to pay the full price for a sim or a game, which i know i will have hundereds of hours fun with.

In short: Game depending.

For example I would never pay a full price for a Project Cars or Dirt game again...

But next Kunos or Simbin game. ... blind instant buy

Where's the "I got it cheap in Early Access" option?
Good point! :D - I was trying to keep the options simple to get a general feeling of how much of a considered purchase the sim is to most people, but I think this is something I should have added instead of the last one

Almost 60% are 'almost never'. Makes sense.

Publishers and customers play a game trying to max their own value.

Games are almost never worth list and certainly always worth more than their deepest discount (think 80%+ discount on AC but the value is incredible).

Almost 60% are 'almost never'. Makes sense.

Publishers and customers play a game trying to max their own value.

Games are almost never worth list and certainly always worth more than their deepest discount (think 80%+ discount on AC but the value is incredible).

I must disagre here. For example in Germany a full price game (lets say 50€) is like 2x McD with wife and children.
I don`t say 50€ is worth nothing, not at all, but in comparsation how expensive food or housing are, its just a fair price for me.

I must disagre here. For example in Germany a full price game (lets say 50€) is like 2x McD with wife and children.
I don`t say 50€ is worth nothing, not at all, but in comparsation how expensive food or housing are, its just a fair price for me.
Yep, totally see your point of view, that's how the game is played : )

It's always a careful balancing act to get the most return for the perceived value of price points.

Last edited:
You know, I never thought about it this way, but I have another example on similar lines. I used to go watch my local football team play when they were at home, but once the kids grew up and wanted to go with me, I ended up deciding to stop since it was costing around £100 for all of us to go see one match.... that's nearly £1 a minute....

You know, I never thought about it this way, but I have another example on similar lines. I used to go watch my local football team play when they were at home, but once the kids grew up and wanted to go with me, I ended up deciding to stop since it was costing around £100 for all of us to go see one match.... that's nearly £1 a minute....
ok, so also from your point of view a full price game should be a fair price.

ps: i guess championship ? premier league is even more expencive isn`t it ?

ok, so also from your point of view a full price game should be a fair price.

ps: i guess championship ? premier league is even more expencive isn`t it ?
This was with Leicester City when they briefly got into the Premier League back in the 90's and the ticket prices were crazy

I'm a bit torn about the full price thing. Since I know that it's common for games to be on sale within about 2 months of release, I'm more inclined to wait as I'll know it'll only bug me when I see it reduced. This is just for normal video games though and I haven't been sim racing long enough to have it put to the test in this genre! :D

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing