How much RAM do you need?

hi guys
So, heres a question for anyone that knows, as the title says.
I have 16gb in dual channel mode, so I have 2 free slots. Why do mobo mostly have 4 slots? And why are they capable of using up to 64 Gb? I only use my gaming box for driving Sims, and Internet to surf the forums.
How much RAM do I need? Are there any games that benefit from 32Gb or more? Or do you only need so much memory for graphic program's etc?
Would I see any benefit at all in, say ACC, when I double my RAM zo 32Gb?? Questions, questions..:D

Last edited:
You need as much ram as the program you run needs. :p
What I mean : spare ram is never faster. If your games/programs don't come close to your limit, don't bother.
I've yet to be able to find a game that uses my 16gb. More than 8gb? Oh yeah, there are a few!

With close to the limit I mean like 14-15gb ram usage. I barely see above 10gb though!

Only if you plan to do a lot of photo -or video editing you will need more than 16gb. These programs eat memory alive!
Some other professional software needs more too but they are far away from what the mainstream user does :)

Thanks for the quick answer, and good advice as always. I'll leave it at 16Gb then, I don't think I've ever seen it get into double figures in Afterburner anyway, it's usually about 7 or 8Gb.
Another question, as long as you're here: does the extra 3Gb onboard memory that the 1080Ti has compared to the 1080 ( 11Gb to 8Gb ) make any difference in driving sims?

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick answer, and good advice as always. I'll leave it at 16Gb then, I don't think I've ever seen it get into double figures in Afterburner anyway, it's usually about 7 or 8Gb.
Another question, as long as you're here: does the extra 3Gb onboard memory that the 1080Ti has compared to the 1080 ( 11Gb to 8Gb ) make any difference in driving sims?
That depends purely on the resolution, game and settings. It's the same as it is with RAM: as long as it's not full (or close to full as the game might leave some headroom), it's not faster to have more.

Now we would need example numbers to tell if the 1080 has enough and if it has, whether the 1080ti has enough additional performance to allow for higher settings that would require more vram.
You can get all vram filled but then from my experience speaking, you won't have satisfying fps anymore!

That's btw a reason why I didn't bother with the "970 3.5GB scandal". Yes, if you exceed 3.5GB with a 970 you will see a performance drop because the last 0.5GB of that card are slower but honestly... When I came close to 3.5GB vram with my 970 I had different problems, namely below 30 fps :roflmao:

In theory it's possible to use extremely big textures but not need a very strong GPU but I didn't come across a game yet that goes down that route. The game would look imbalanced then.

To draw a conclusion:
Have a look at your vram usage in afterburner. You would need more vram when you have high fps but see a sudden drop when the vram gets filled close to its limit. But with all games I know the fps will go down way before that happens.

That depends purely on the resolution, game and settings. It's the same as it is with RAM: as long as it's not full (or close to full as the game might leave some headroom), it's not faster to have more.

Now we would need example numbers to tell if the 1080 has enough and if it has, whether the 1080ti has enough additional performance to allow for higher settings that would require more vram.
You can get all vram filled but then from my experience speaking, you won't have satisfying fps anymore!

That's btw a reason why I didn't bother with the "970 3.5GB scandal". Yes, if you exceed 3.5GB with a 970 you will see a performance drop because the last 0.5GB of that card are slower but honestly... When I came close to 3.5GB vram with my 970 I had different problems, namely below 30 fps :roflmao:

In theory it's possible to use extremely big textures but not need a very strong GPU but I didn't come across a game yet that goes down that route. The game would look imbalanced then.

To draw a conclusion:
Have a look at your vram usage in afterburner. You would need more vram when you have high fps but see a sudden drop when the vram gets filled close to its limit. But with all games I know the fps will go down way before that happens.

Quick reply and good info. Danke! :thumbsup: Whereabouts are you in Germany? I'm in Lübeck, that's nearly in Denmark :D

Bloody Umlaute, I either use them when there isn't one, or forget them when they should be there...after 35 years in Germany I'm still making stupid mistakes in written German :rolleyes:

One area though where you can utilize spare memory is setting up a RAM-disk. That's how i use my extra RAM ;) It's obviously disputable if one needs a RAM-disk, but i know i do :)

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 80 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 56 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 60 21.8%
  • Trophies

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 18 6.5%