How Does Buying a Game from Steam as a Gift Work?

I'm thinking of buying a flight sim from Steam as a Christmas gift for my nephew. (He has his own Steam Account.)

I see that whenever I buy something from Steam, it asks whether it's for me or a gift. Up until now, it's always been for me. So exactly what happens if I click on "as a gift" instead?

Do I get a code that I give him to allow him to download the game into his Steam account? Or does it download to his Steam account immediately (which I'd like to avoid - so he doesn't get it before Xmas)? Or does it work differently from that?

Any info on how this works would be appreciated.

Bert

I'm thinking of buying a flight sim from Steam as a Christmas gift for my nephew. (He has his own Steam Account.)

I see that whenever I buy something from Steam, it asks whether it's for me or a gift. Up until now, it's always been for me. So exactly what happens if I click on "as a gift" instead?

Do I get a code that I give him to allow him to download the game into his Steam account? Or does it download to his Steam account immediately (which I'd like to avoid - so he doesn't get it before Xmas)? Or does it work differently from that?

Any info on how this works would be appreciated.

Bert
No, when you buy a game as a gift on Steam is sends a notification to the recipient . They then have to accept the gift and download it onto there account and it becomes theirs forever. As you said, the only problem I see with your situation is the Christmas present part, as they would get the notification immediately and I know of no way to buy said game and then have Steam deliver it later.

Last edited:
If you click to buy as a gift you first choose the person you want to gift it to from your friends list. Not sure if you can just enter a rendom email address as well. You can then add a message and set a time and date for delivery. At the date/time you set, the recepient receives an email with your message and a link to accept the gift, then it will be added to his account.

Last edited:
If you click to buy as a gift you first choose the person you want to gift it to from your friends list. Not sure if you can just enter a rendom email address as well. You can then add a message and set a time and date for delivery. At the date/time you set, the recepient receives an email with your message and a link to accept the gift, then it will be added to his account.
Nice. I didn't know about the time/date thing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back