F1 2010 How do you win?

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
Hi,

I got the game today for PC and first thing I had trouble with was my controller having a preset layout. It's Logitech Rumblepad II and it got detected. But the layout is not suitable for me and since it didn't allow me to edit, I had to manually map all the keys to the way I want it to.

Then I started the career. Before I got the game, I read in forums where everyone kept saying the game is very easy in the hardest level. So I decided to go for medium difficulty. When I started the career, I kept ending up at the last place (in practice, qualifying and race). I then switched difficulty to easy and still I keep losing.

This is very strange because I didn't have this problem in any other racing games I've played. Even F1 2006 which I played in PS2 was pretty easy for me.

So I'm curious. Are the career supposed to be very difficult initially? The objective was to qualify within 20 and be ranked 18 in the race. But I can't even get to 23.

Or am I missing something? Please advice.

• chomps31

You need brake assist off and learn how to brake yaself or you will never be quick enuff to compete. If you do this yes you need to spend time practicing to learn the track. If you just like to go to qualify and race and dont put that time in you will never get anywhere in career mode.
Id imagine you could do normal races with Brake on cos you will be able to pick a better car.

It's all about practice. The best thing you can do is to turn all "driving assists" off in the options menu. You can keep traction control on, till you get the hang of it. And then turn that off to. I'm not sure how it is about automatic shifting, since I always use manual in all games. But something tells me, if you learn to use the manual instead, you will be a much better racer in the end, when you have fully mastered it.

Myself is still learning how to drive in wet conditions :D

I guess I have to give up because my fingers hurt by holding onto the buttons most of the race and end up last. :(

Not sure if I can make it with this controllers. I really wonder how everyone who claim this AI to be very easy win these races. I've always been able to win/complete all the other racing games and I even lapped the 2nd racer in medium difficulty in F1 2006 PS2.

So I'm at a loss on what I can do in here. Maybe I should wait until I am able to buy my wheels and pads again.

Heres what you gotta do mate, first of all, long weekend, some people like short weekend, but they learn tracks easily. Second, get rid of that automatic shift. Third, are you using an analog controller, like a PS2/PS3 controller or Xbox controller? if so, use the stick to steer, not the D-Pad. Fourth, Run practices with racing line on. Learn the track. Then increase your braking points. You can generally, in all cars, get about three or four meters up on the racing line brake zone, easily, and you can get really deep if you try. Fifth, dont hold any buttons except braking down while turning (And braking ONLY while before entering a turn or correcting, or you'll wash), if you dont use ABS, tap-tap brake to avoid locking up, tap your accel button through the corner or use a second analogue stick if using a ps2/ps3 controller. Oh! and finally, when starting a session, start always with the furthest right car setup in dry, and the furthest left car setup in wet.

Heres what you gotta do mate, first of all, long weekend, some people like short weekend, but they learn tracks easily. Second, get rid of that automatic shift. Third, are you using an analog controller, like a PS2/PS3 controller or Xbox controller? if so, use the stick to steer, not the D-Pad. Fourth, Run practices with racing line on. Learn the track. Then increase your braking points. You can generally, in all cars, get about three or four meters up on the racing line brake zone, easily, and you can get really deep if you try. Fifth, dont hold any buttons except braking down while turning (And braking ONLY while before entering a turn or correcting, or you'll wash), if you dont use ABS, tap-tap brake to avoid locking up, tap your accel button through the corner or use a second analogue stick if using a ps2/ps3 controller. Oh! and finally, when starting a session, start always with the furthest right car setup in dry, and the furthest left car setup in wet.

I'm doing long weekends but I do about 3-4 laps per practice session because that would be the best lap time I make for some reason.

And I'm using a controller just like PS2. It has 2 analog and D-Pad. I am using analog for steering but button press for acceleration/brake. Not using Handbrake.

I'm struggling a bit with the brakes because with brake assist off, my car keeps going off track (too much acceleration into turn) or spins (not sure what the reason for that is). Traction is set to full.

But let me try a few times again.

Brake sooner. Learn with the racing line. And get off the brakes.

Brake hard, downshift hard, release brake, and turn hard. Not brake hard, downshift hard, and turn while braking, off you go.

Thanks. Let me try it again. I don't have any problems with braking in RL or with wheel/pad. But with controller, I think I am mixing up the buttons somewhere. And get frustrated when I go off road or spin.

• Alex Guehennec

I am using the dry setup (the last one in the right side) but I do not understand what u mean by adjusting the gearbox to be near 300kmh. Which gear are you talking abt in that? And what would you advice on the front camber adjustment?

The rest as Arsenal said are not available for me right now.

hey plague, sorry I don't know how it is on career so I can't tell you exactly what to do there.
But I can show you my Time Trial setup from Sakhir (so without fuel and no tires issues), and a link of Paulus's nice lap there. With that and a good ghost from TT mod you can practice and improve quickly about this track, and only then go to adapt it on the carreer mod

Setup 1'46'790 :

wings 1-1
brake 52/48 high small
equi 80/20 2-8
susp 1-1 7-7
gear 124 152 180 213 251 280 318
engine fast
align -1.50 -3.30 0.09 0.35

Paulus's lap video (post #69) :

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/40026-time-trial-week-1-sakhir-bahrain-7.html

you can do 30 laps on Time Trial mod with that and all aids off, hope you'll improve

even if you turn the TCS to medium its not that bad thats how i got to driving with it off i drove with it on medium first it will punish you if you go too hard but also gives you slightly more control than with it off completly its like taking stabilisers off a bike

also dont give up too easy i thought about giving up but with practice and alot of frustration i eventually got to grips with the game and now i love it even if i finish in the top 10 its a feeling of pure satisfaction when you get your first win of your career trust me it will get easier with practice mate :)

hey plague, sorry I don't know how it is on career so I can't tell you exactly what to do there.
But I can show you my Time Trial setup from Sakhir (so without fuel and no tires issues), and a link of Paulus's nice lap there. With that and a good ghost from TT mod you can practice and improve quickly about this track, and only then go to adapt it on the carreer mod

Setup 1'46'790 :

wings 1-1
brake 52/48 high small
equi 80/20 2-8
susp 1-1 7-7
gear 124 152 180 213 251 280 318
engine fast
align -1.50 -3.30 0.09 0.35

Paulus's lap video (post #69) :

http://www.racedepartment.com/f1-2010-game/40026-time-trial-week-1-sakhir-bahrain-7.html

you can do 30 laps on Time Trial mod with that and all aids off, hope you'll improve

How, exactly, is he going to apply that career mode? the setup will eat his tires if he keeps tire sim on, and its not doing anything to counteract fuel weight if he keeps fuel sim on, it'll feel like an entirely different car, that if he drives fast, will kill tires, make him slow and frustrated because it worked in F12010's convoluted TA mode.

• Alex Guehennec

How, exactly, is he going to apply that career mode? the setup will eat his tires if he keeps tire sim on, and its not doing anything to counteract fuel weight if he keeps fuel sim on, it'll feel like an entirely different car, that if he drives fast, will kill tires, make him slow and frustrated because it worked in F12010's convoluted TA mode.

I didn't say to apply it to career mode but to adapt it to.
This setup is for TT mod an with his own ghost or any good one, that works good for practicing before a career with a new game

I have been trying with no aids and manual gearing. Been a struggle. Go halfway through and then keep running off the road. And this is one single track. :(

If only I understand why the damn gearbox/engine go into red during Sector 2. It's green mostly in Sector 1 and 3 but most of Sector 2 is in red. I'm wondering if the default gearbox configuration is not suitable for slow turns that is there in Sector 2. Sector 1 and 3 are mostly in high gears but Sector 2 is in low gear (2nd and 3rd).

Its because you will be taking low speed corners at high revs, so the engine isn't cooling due to the low speed. My engine goes red, and then green again towards the end of the sector, but i suffer no speed loss as a result. Turn off braking assist gets my vote - as the game does the braking for you. I think the game is slowinng you to cool the engine, but that isnt necessary

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back