How can I make grass less bright green?

There are loads of mod tracks coming out all the time and it is great for us lucky AC users.

I find that some of these tracks (certainly not most) have grass that is a bit too bright green.

Is there any way I could improve grass colour? I don't have 3D editing software. So I'm wondering if that might be possible in an ini file or something like that.

Hoksu

Premium
Can be done on a per-track basis by making a CM skin. You need image editing software with .dds plugin for that, no 3D editing needed. Use CM to make a track skin, export grass textures, edit, save, enable skin

Last edited:
Can be done on a per-track basis by making a CM skin. You need image editing software with .dds plugin for that, no 3D editing needed. Use CM to make a track skin, export grass textures, edit, save, enable skin
Thanks a lot for the tip.
I’m thinking about a shortcut: Could I just take the Grass.dds file from another track skin and use that in a new skins folder for the track whose grass I want to alter (and enable it)?
I actually tried this and it didn’t seem to work so I wonder if I did something wrong or if it’s just not gonna be possible like that.

Johnr777

Premium
Thanks for the advice. That makes sense.

And to find out what the texture is called inside the kn5 (and without 3d software) , I use CM to make a track skin, I suppose.

I'll give it a go...
You can use the app ‘object inspector’, in game... hold left alt key and click on any grass mesh, should tell you the texture name

You can use the app ‘object inspector’, in game... hold left alt key and click on any grass mesh, should tell you the texture name
Thanks for that tip. It worked! :) That's great!

Using 'object inspector', I see there are a few textures related to grass. I maybe got lucky when i chose grass2.dds. Is grass colour usually governed by just one dds file?

Johnr777

Premium
It depends on the type of shader used. Sometimes the main larger texture can be close to gray, while the detail maps hold all the color... other times the opposite.

Last edited: