Heusinkveld sprint rumble pedal mod

Hello all,

I have recently upgraded my rig from Fanatec V3 pedals to the wonderful Heusinkveld sprints. I must say I am extremely happy with the upgrade, the only feature that I found myself missing was the integrated rumble motors that were included on the V3 pedal and brake. I was a huge fan of this functionality for detecting brake lockups and wheel slip. I then recalled seeing AMstudio (youtube channel dedicated to sim racing mods) create a rumble mod for a set of G920 pedals. I figured this same technique could be used for my new HE pedals. I have just finished setting everything up and I am extremely happy with how it turned out. I figured I would share my experience with the community for anyone interested in doing the same.

Credit: AMstudio (I highly recommend checking out his channel if you have not heard of him. Plenty of great ideas!)
Video where I got the idea: G920 Rumble Pedals

I have recently started working with Fusion360 to make small one off part mods for my sim rig. This was my first venture into making an entire project box and all related mounting hardware for this project. I ended up using the following hardware / software.

- 2 x xbox 360 rumble motors (Removed from old controllers I had).
- 22awg wire of various color for easy identification.
- 1 x Arduino UNO R3.
- 1 x Arduino motor shield v2.
- DC Power Female Socket with Lock Washer.
- 12v AC power cable.
- Soldering iron.
- Various lengths and sizes of heat shrink.
- Heat gun.
- USB A cable.

After I had everything wired and mounted to my satisfaction I used the built in Arduino tool within Simhub to write a sketch. I then proceed to setup the same shakeit profile that I had used previously with my Fanatec V3's. So far everything is working great. Curious to see if anyone has completed a similar mod, previously I had seen use of speakers to achieve what I assume is a similar response. I decided to go this route however as I had a lot of the hardware and all said and done cost me about $50/usd. Thanks for any feedback! Please keep in mind this is my first full 3d model / print implementation so I understand it's not perfect :).

Control_board.jpgRumble_motor_and_mounts.jpgEnclosure.jpgRig_mount_1.jpgRig_mount)2.jpg

Very interesting!

I have the Sprints too. It's a great product, but one of my frustrations in sim-racing is the minimal feedback one gets during braking. Sure, you can feel the pressure building in the load-cell as you push down, but it almost takes a motion rig to give you anything much more than that.

The visual indications of brake performance are mostly useless for any kind of fine feedback, and by the time you hear or feel something through the wheel, you are usually locking up. As a result, I tend to brake too early and too tentatively.

So, aside from adding motion, something that provides some additional tactile feedback at the pedal could be helpful. Good job!

Upvote 0
That was exactly my dilemma, I really enjoyed the tactile feedback offered by my Fanatec pedals but in my opinion the Sprints were superior in every other category which led me here. I have also discovered, I now have much more control over the vibration intensity with the simhub implementation which is most welcomed. I used it in a couple F1 races last night and it works great. I find it actually offers me the most benefit in identifying tire slip on throttle as F1 cars have so much torque. Thanks for the feedback!

Upvote 0
Nice work...

Although, I would REALLY like to see someone compare the motors to the tactile exciters for pedal stem vibrations.
The exciters should not have motor lag and reach a wider range of frequencies but seems very hard to get someone to actually try both options and give their views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What kind of "exciters" are you discussing? Like a solenoid or similar linear device? (I'd naively agree that motors aren't likely to be the best for this application.)

Upvote 0
one of my frustrations in sim-racing is the minimal feedback one gets during braking.
I have been pondering this, Long ago, when I was young, cars did not have power assist for brakes,
and one could easily feel disk runout when pads just began contacting them as pressure overcame piston seal flex. Some higher frequency road feel also came thru as force/pressure increased until brakes approached locking, when sensation thru the pedal basically ceased, at least until ABS.

Upvote 0
I actually saw a video where GamerMuscle attached two dayton pucks to his throttle and brake to give feedback. I was genuinely considering doing something similar and I decided to try the motor route as I just had them sitting around and it was a little more low profile. I could vary well expand on this route in the future.

GamerMuscle Tactile Pedals

I am also considering upgrading my wheel base to either a dd or simucube however so that may come first.

Upvote 0
attached two dayton pucks
I'm pretty sure a thruster will be more appropriate than a puck
and suspect the smaller and cheaper DAEX25VT-4 could suffice
and be more easily attached and hidden behind most brake pedals,
unless one is totally fine with zip ties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I actually saw a video where GamerMuscle attached two dayton pucks to his throttle and brake to give feedback. I was genuinely considering doing something similar and I decided to try the motor route as I just had them sitting around and it was a little more low profile. I could vary well expand on this route in the future.

GamerMuscle Tactile Pedals

I am also considering upgrading my wheel base to either a dd or simucube however so that may come first.

Grrrrrr, that TEA DRINKING muppet!!! ;) :D :p

These are the exciters that work really well.
They support higher wattages, have a bit more bass than the Pucks and better with higher frequencies too.

USA
Dayton Thruster Exciter

UK/EU
Dayton Thruster Exciter

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I recently just upgraded from the V3s to the sprints last week, I never used the motor rumble on my V3once I installed two bass shakes on my pedal deck, these work out much better than the rubble motors for me

Your mod looks amazing good one

Upvote 0
I have been pondering this, Long ago, when I was young, cars did not have power assist for brakes,
and one could easily feel disk runout when pads just began contacting them as pressure overcame piston seal flex. Some higher frequency road feel also came thru as force/pressure increased until brakes approached locking, when sensation thru the pedal basically ceased, at least until ABS.

With the right setup thats not completely gone with a somewhat modern car.
GT86 MY 12, braided brake lines, Ferodo DS2500 stock discs and calipers.
The Ferodos have the biggest influence, they are much less compressible than street pads.
I used to drive DS1.11 (DTM spec) when doing lapping sessions on the Nordschleife, but they are a PitA daily driving. Loud and dusty.

Nice work...

Although, I would REALLY like to see someone compare the motors to the tactile exciters for pedal stem vibrations.
The exciters should not have motor lag and reach a wider range of frequencies but seems very hard to get someone to actually try both options and give their views.

Have some patience, the parts are already on the workbench. (DAEX32-EP4)
It´s bound to happen in the near future.

And thanks for the impedance calculation. Sometimes I just can´t be bothered. :(

As for the frequency range of the puck:

The puck in my backrest drops off at around 30hz, at around 120hz it´s just audible and can´t be felt anymore. But that could be the mounting solution, its bolted into a styrofoam piece that covers the cooling fan of my seat at the hight of the lumbar support. This peace rests against the back cover and the backrest cushion. Interestingly I feel the vibration more in the shoulderblade region and not at lumbar support height where the puck is sitting.

MFG Carsten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the right setup thats not completely gone with a somewhat modern car
I also still get a bit of that brake feel, but had already learned for what to expect. At any rate,
that will be my goal for thruster braking haptics, once bench testing is complete. IMO brake rumble motor was a poor approximation of ABS feedback, which IRL is IMO more distracting that useful except on ice.

Upvote 0
Looks great, I think I'm going to make that my next project. Would you mind sharing the files? Might need some help along the way haha, but seems like its worthwhile!

Sure thing, they are stored on my rig pc. Once I am back on it I will share them for you. To be honest the project itself is pretty easy if your familiar with some basic electronics tinkering.

Upvote 0
I recently just upgraded from the V3s to the sprints last week, I never used the motor rumble on my V3once I installed two bass shakes on my pedal deck, these work out much better than the rubble motors for me

Your mod looks amazing good one
Would you mind sharing a picture? Would be interested to see how you have them mounted. Are you using an aluminum extrusion rig? Also what software are you using in unison? simhub?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back