Help with making my mind up on new rig

Hi All,

Over the last couple of days I've been reviewing and looking at different racing rigs. I've had a couple of posts on here about what to look at etc. I'm working on a shortlist now on which to go with. What would be your top 3 racing rigs if you was buying again or new to sim racing and why?

Ill share the three I am looking at, but interested to see what experienced racers thought first.

Top 3 and why?

I think the P1-X is generally considered the best racing rig for the sim racing enthusiast. I own a GTtrack which is less expensive. I also like this rig however I can see a P1-X in my future. Reasons that people tend to like the P1-X include:
  • Stiff structure
  • Flexible configurations
  • High build quality
  • Good price for what you get
  • Looks cool
Unless you have cash to burn, I would start will something more entry level if I had never sim raced before.

Upvote 0
Thanks BillyBobSenna

Im looking at the P1-X along with Trakracer 160 but I like the looks of Rseat N1 as well?? How stiff is the GTtrack? is there much flex on the pedals or wheel plate?

Anyone else have some top 3 race rigs to look at?

Upvote 0
Whatever you decide on, put an emphasis on configurability and future upgrades. I loved the R-Seats, but once I decided to install motion, they were no longer compatible. I sold both my RS-1 and N-1 seats and went the 8020 route.

The Sim Racing Lab 8020 rigs are excellent values, and the P1x is indeed probably the best bang-for-the-buck at the moment. You can also DIY a rig, which is what I did. The 8020 stuff is just wonderful, and highly adaptable for things like adding motion, on-rig monitor mounts, auxilary mounts including flight sticks, etc.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks BillyBobSenna

Im looking at the P1-X along with Trakracer 160 but I like the looks of Rseat N1 as well?? How stiff is the GTtrack? is there much flex on the pedals or wheel plate?

Anyone else have some top 3 race rigs to look at?
No problem on the reply Butler99.

The GTtrack seems very stiff to me. Of course there are several factors that can influence this subjective feedback. Someone that runs with higher force feedback levels and applies higher forces on the pedals may have a different assessment. Also someone that is hyper sensitive to force feedback may have a different assessment. I can stand on the forward edge of the pedal plate with very little deflection. The base plate is extremely stiff with 90° bent edges to provide more stiffness.

Even though I think the GTtrack is nice, if I could remake the purchase, I think I would spend the extra and go with the P1-X. The reason would be the added flexibility in the reg configurations. I have a Fanatec DD1 and the base plate on the GTtrack does not tilt up at all and therefore I cannot achieve a perfect wheel base and monitor position.

Upvote 0
8020 is great. Usually cheaper than these pre-packaged rigs by quite some margin.
All I did was measure my seating position from the chair and wheel stand pro that I was using to get the height and length distance from the wheel, then measured how wide the seat was. This pretty much gave me all I needed for the initial purchase.
Then it was a case of building things up over the course of a few weeks.
The end result, an extremely rigid rig without flex and the ability to add whatever I want to over the months and years

Upvote 0
I saw this the other day online and thought it looked interesting for those that want an F1 and GT seating position in one. I can't vouch for the company or the product, but quite liked the design.

Good
Quite liking the adjustment range. 1248 pounds sterling for the rig, seat, & shifter. Storage position is bonus for those who need to put it away after playing. Accomodates all the popular gear including inverted pedals.

Bad
Not in production yet. Unknown how long it takes to adjust positions. Need video of how difficult it is to climb in & out since quarters appear tight. And I'm not liking the exposed sharp angles they've left in places where you climb in/out, especially as an older person. Triple monitor stand is stupid expensive and doesn't list what size/weight monitors it accomodates.

Upvote 0
If you are located in the US, take a look at 4PlayRacing on Ebay.
Thanks for the heads up Mitchell. The 4PlayRacing prices look high. I was looking at the 3 display monitor stand and it looks cheaper to get it shipped to the US from Europe. Also, the SIM-Lab stand looks more flexible for monitor angle adjustment.

Upvote 0
I did a lot of homework before going with TrakRacer (TR160) with Triple Monitor Floor Stand.

First, as with all the popular rig manufactures you need to have patience going into this. They all seem to have inventory and/or distribution issues across the globe due to demand and COVID.

That said, the TR160 is everything I dreamed it would be! I love the design of the 90* corner brackets, pedal tray and DD mount. The adjustments are beyond what I could ask for, I love tweaking my setup. I can literally position the monitors, wheel, pedals, or even seat wherever I'd like really.

The all in price to my door was awesome! Shipping $ was beyond reasonable, big perk is TR ships seats world wide.

My favorite trait? This thing is so beyond future proof its insane. I plan on adding flight controls and motion to it over the next year :) Things TR are expected to be releasing in the near future!

Thumbs up from this guy!

Rig.jpg

Upvote 0
I did a lot of homework before going with TrakRacer (TR160) with Triple Monitor Floor Stand.

First, as with all the popular rig manufactures you need to have patience going into this. They all seem to have inventory and/or distribution issues across the globe due to demand and COVID.

That said, the TR160 is everything I dreamed it would be! I love the design of the 90* corner brackets, pedal tray and DD mount. The adjustments are beyond what I could ask for, I love tweaking my setup. I can literally position the monitors, wheel, pedals, or even seat wherever I'd like really.

The all in price to my door was awesome! Shipping $ was beyond reasonable, big perk is TR ships seats world wide.

My favorite trait? This thing is so beyond future proof its insane. I plan on adding flight controls and motion to it over the next year :) Things TR are expected to be releasing in the near future!

Thumbs up from this guy!

View attachment 402746
Looks very similar to SIM-Lab gear. Why this over SIM-Lab?

Upvote 0
For the reasons I mentioned above. I prefer the design of the pedal deck, DD mount and corner profile 90* brackets over SimLab. Oh, TR was also willing to ship me a seat (USA) for the same cost simlabs would sell me a rig only.
Yeah, sorry. In hindsight it was a dumb question. Right now I am only looking at the triple monitor stand. The simlab and TrakRacer stands have very similar designs. They both look a lot better than my Next Level Racing stand which is a bear to work with and has limited adjust ability. For me, the TrakRacer would cost a bit more than the simlab.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back