Cars help please - driver position not moving

Hi all,

I'm working on a quite interesting mod that I don't want to spoil yet ;) but right now I'm failing to move the driver. I edit the driver_base_pos.knh in the ksEditor just fine, but it's not affecting any change. I follow the process:

As per this video (in the description) I tried a different steer.ksanim and it changes the driver position, but also only to a specific one - and then editing the driver_base_pos.knh again has no effect.

So to summarize, it appears as if the steering animation somehow overrules the driver positioning? Anyone who already banged his head against this wall willing to share some insights? ;)

Yeah, as you say I think the steering animation does override the body position, so my advice would be just to do the steering animation :p

What I do is use The_Meco's brilliant driver rig for steering animations, and also use it to export the driver position at the same time.

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/custom-steering-animation-rig-1-7.18201/

This always seems to work for me, and both the animation and driver position don't conflict.

It seem like the steer animation fixes the position of the driver in the car, and the driver_bas_pos fixes how the body of the driver bends on those coordinates. The steer animation itself is then again dependent on the STEER_HR Null's position too.

If you are a Blender user you should try using Stereo's Blender rig, I had much success with it: http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/bone-animation-rig-blender.34594/

You don't need the KS Editor for that one at all, it can export .ksanim and the .knh directly

Thanks guys!

After further testing: With the default anim I wanted to use, the body can't be moved trough the .knh... using a different anim the body becomes movable, but then the head and torso are in the wrong angle.

It appears some anims "lock" the body, some don't. I guess my best take here really is edit the anim file.

Well, I give up. Played a bit with Blender (not the first time), but it's definitely not a tool for me. I find the interface horrible unintuitive so I can't even get the guy into a somewhat sitting position.

To be frank I'm not actually the 3D guy of this mod, but he's busy and I was looking for a way to adapt driver position and/or animations from one car to the next (with slightly different body placement, different distance between steering wheel and seat etc....).

Nicest thing would be to load and modify one of the existing animations we already have, but I guess that's not possible since .ksanim can't be read/imported.

Stereo explained the .knh files as a sort of single frame animation. The behaviour you described above (some files locking the driver position, some don't) seems to depend on which elements were included in the export.

Importing of files is not possible, as far as I know, so no adapting of existing files.

I could try to create a knh for you. Send me a PM

I have no idea if that is the case. I want to share my experience with this. Least enjoyable part of modding, at least for me, even with the_mecos rig, which is awesome and made things 10x easier.

I had very stupid problems with my current driver position, which took me ~4hours only to investigate. I'm modelling with blender, but driver obviously had been done with 3Ds max.

When I finally placed driver in nice position, and had not horrible steering animation I exported the driver, did things with ksEditor. Surprisingly driver was about 20cm pushed backwards, and about 2.5 cm to the right. Then I have tried everything I could think of. Nothing worked. Then realised that misplacement of my driver was somewhere similar to those values at car.ini which adjust car body graphical position (to match position of wheels). So I came back to 3DS max, selected absolutely everything and pushed by exact amount, which could be found in car.ini, forward. And it finally worked :) Then had to repeat it a couple of times to catch it in correct lateral position.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back