Headlights.

Mark Gormley

#14 | The Silent Killer
Was wondering what peoples opinions on were on the use of these during a race, especially some of the more experienced members. Personally I'd rather they weren't used though I don't find it too off-putting. At the start of race 1 in the STCC club on Wednesday a Volvo was flashing them furiously going into turn one on the first lap, which I found odd. In some cars I find it harder to see the brake lights over the tail lights.

The most annoying example was from someone in a public server who switched them on about 20-30m before the braking zone, letting on he was braking earlier than he was to make me do likewise. Took me a few laps to realise what he was up to.

People should not be using their headlights in R07 events because there is absolutely no need to do so. The only exception is turning them on when on a hot lap during qualy to let others know.

If someone is constantly using their lights as a means of distraction during one of our events then feel free to make a video and report them.

I race in cockpit view and leave my lights on to lights up the dash motec thing so i can see it....i try not to use the overlay screen speedo.. can a skin be made to cover the lights...or a workable mod that only lights up motec... the one i used stopped working..
I would be good to clarify this in the rules...

As far as I am concerned it is already covered by the rules:
8. Follow all safety rules as if you were in a real car on a real track: use pit speed limiter in pit lane, observe all safety flags and lights, no donuts in pit lane.
Deliberately trying to distract other drivers with horns and/or headlights is both a safety issue and poor sportsmanship, so just report it.

I remember in my first ever RD race someone constantly flashing their lights behind me heading into a braking zone so at first I thought it was maybe normal (although as it was so rare after then I realised otherwise)...some guy that was banned recently had a habit of flashing lights when right behind someone, it's a little rude...

I sometimes do it in public rooms when I'm at the back to signal I'm coming through, although I never have such a speed advantage over people here so even if I wanted to do that it'd be unnecessary! It's worst when WTCC/STCC Honda drivers do it because the brake lights are so small that it's hard to make them out over the normal lights...

I think it's sensible/only acceptable in wet races as it can be hard to make out cars when there is a lot of spray.

I don't want to cause a storm but we are trying to simulate a race experience, i'm not saying i agree with flashing your headlight to distract the guy in front or to deceive the driver behind with breaking, but you do see it in most auto sports..
I have no problems with any rule as long as it is stated...
When i meant to clarify, that means to have" flashing of lights to distract another racers is not allowed" added to the rules then its there for all to see.

8. Follow all safety rules as if you were in a real car on a real track: use pit speed limiter in pit lane, observe all safety flags and lights, no donuts in pit lane.

And to be honest having very little experience of real car real track rules. only what Ive seen on the tv... i see flashing headlights...
I'm not trying to be funny .... :)

When i meant to clarify, that means to have" flashing of lights to distract another racers is not allowed" added to the rules then its there for all to see.
I know what you meant but it is not necessary. It falls under rule 8. Besides, it simply isn't possible to explicitly cover absolutely every single thing in the rules, otherwise they would be pages and pages long. The rules rely on a little common sense from our members, and it doesn't take a genius to know that deliberately distracting someone is poor form.

We must watch different motorsports because while I have seen cars with their headlights ON while racing, I have almost never seen them flashing them constantly while behind other drivers.

I've just watched the first GT3 race in Nogaro and guess what? They were flashing their lights like insane! But this is a simracing and not a reality. And personaly, I don't see a point flashing lights here when someone is faster. They surely put their nose in first available corner and try to overtake you without any patience. If they aren't faster, then I don't see a point in this.

I know in the BTCC, it is an accepted tactic to try and distract the driver in front into making a mistake by flashing your lights, they do it all the time. Its no big deal.

Its also used to let a driver know you are there, a little reminder that as soon as you make a mistake, I'm going to swoop in and take the position from you! Again, using the BTCC as an example, they will use them if approaching a lapped car in race, so that they know there is a faster car approaching, or if they are in qualifying and on a hotlap, they will flash a car in front to let them know they are on a hotlap and they will normally move over. It is also used to show frustration against another driver (again from what I've watched in the BTCC).

I have no problem at all with headlights being used in any session in RACE, I think its all part of the mind games that is inolved with motor-racing, and what makes it great entertainment to watch (and race in!).

However, I do understand the issue with some cars (like the Honda Accords), where if their headlights are turned on, it is extremely hard to know when they are braking. I also think its not good sportsmanship to use the headlights to "trick" a car behind you into braking earlier than normal.

Some leagues and communities I race in are fine with headlights being used, but of course I understand here that their usage is not allowed. Therefore, I abide by their rules.

I just wanted to offer a different perspective on headlight usage with some real world examples. If you watch any BTCC races, you will most probably see headlights being used.

I can understand perhaps putting them on when approaching a car to be lapped, especially if you're under pressure from another driver and want a clean pass. But actually flashing them at another driver is somewhat unnecessary. If you're quicker, I'm going to be aware of that by the fact you are there at all.

Also, I wouldn't look to the BTCC to provide examples of driving standards.

I can understand perhaps putting them on when approaching a car to be lapped, especially if you're under pressure from another driver and want a clean pass. But actually flashing them at another driver is somewhat unnecessary. If you're quicker, I'm going to be aware of that by the fact you are there at all.

Then the blue flag rule comes in...(unless it on the first lap due to a driver getting to the grid with seconds to spare)(this has been mentioned in the past, but is soon forgotten about).. but if your on the same lap you have to pass correctly... as i will try to stick to my raceline ...
And im allowed to move 1 time (there and back) to defend my position.. F1 have just changed this rule ..(no moving back to you original position.. )

If im getting lapped i sometimes get completely of the track if there's a group of leaders coming through...
In qually if im on a out lap i get of the track for somebody on a quick lap..
And if ive messed up and were in a group i get out the way...

Well, touring cars in general don't have pristine driving standards in comparison to some other types of motorsport like F1 or open seater racing (from watching the BTCC, STCC, ETCC, WTCC, DTCC and some other one make series such as the SEAT Eurocup etc.). I have seen headlights used in touring car series other than the BTCC too, its just that I watch BTCC the most.

But actually flashing them at another driver is somewhat unnecessary. If you're quicker, I'm going to be aware of that by the fact you are there at all.

As I said, its just all about the mind games; some drivers won't be affected by such antics, others will and therefore may be more prone to making a mistake. Some drivers may think flashing their lights at a driver may distract them enough into making a mistake, some drivers may think that it makes no difference and therefore don't do it all and concentrate on their own race.

With all that said, this is just my opinion; I am just making educated stabs into the minds of real racing drivers as to why they do it, and from what the commentators say. :)

Extra - I have just remembered a WTCC race from a couple of years ago, I cannot remember which, when a driver had been stuck behind another for about 75% of the race without being able to pass him. One of the commentators, who was (or maybe still is) a racing driver, gave a suggestion into what the driver behind should do; he said he should think about trying to distract the guy in front by flashing his headlights, to try unsettle his rhythm, as the the leading driver was driving a perfect, error free race.

If I can remember that race, I will try and post a video of it. I think it was maybe 2008 or 2009 at Puebla, but I am making a pretty wild guess.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back