Have Your Say: Your First Racing Game

Have Your Say - Tell Us Your First Racing Game.jpg

Everyone remembers their first love, and racing games are no different. With such a wealth of content on offer today, can you cast your mind back and remember the very first?

No doubt about it, "sim racing" has advanced practically beyond imagination since those tentative first days of Pole Position back in the early 1980's. With highly polished graphics, detailed physics, multi car grids, online racing and all the other bells and whistles of modern gaming, a sim racer today is spoilt for choice when it comes to the wonderful pastime of driving digital racing cars.

So for our question today I ask, which game (on what platform) was your very fist foray into the world of racing?

Have fun reminiscing and enjoy the weekend!

I can't believe no one has mentioned Sports Car GT! Not my first sim, but the first good one I remember spending hours on. My first one I spent hours on was test drive for the ol' C64 when I was a young Buck.

By racing game you mean videogame or in general? Because for me the first racing game was Polistil (same as Scalextric) when I was 4 or 5. Videogames, well at the arcade there were quite a few games, I remember one called Sprint 2 where you had wheel, pedals and gears, and the car was sliding all over the place. On my Commodore 64 I think the first was Pit Stop 2, on the Amiga Indianapolis 500, F1GP and Test Drive.

I always dabbled with racing games, but I got seriously hooked when GPL came out, it set me on a road I have never left; sim' racing.
To this day I still play GPL on times and GP4 also.
Another early game I played was "Spirit Of Speed," still got the disk; but can't get it to run on my rig now...for those days it had good FFB. :)

my first racing game: Monster Truck Madness
my first racing sim: Indycar Racing II
my first racing sim with a steering wheel: GTR 2
the racing game that made me fall in love with racing: Gran Turismo 3 A-spec

I think it was probably Forza 1 on original Xbox. I also had Sega GT and Burnout, and Indycar by Codies which was pretty fun too.

My first experience with a simulator was Grand Prix 4 and F1 Challenge 99-02 which my dad owned. I remember how hard I found them as a kid lol. Both fantastic games even today.

(Guy in the video is kind of a bad driver and clearly playing on an easy difficulty, but this was the first result I got)

Last edited:
My First ever racing Game was Mobil 1 Rally Championship in PS1 :D but i hardly remember how it was:D

First One i really played and enjoyed was Colin McRae 04:thumbsup:

Edit: i just found an old copy of f1 '98:thumbsdown: i think that really has been the first:)

I can't even remember the title but it was 'F1' and I was highly impressed with the recovery cranes that removed destroyed cars (mostly mine) from around the circuit!!!:roflmao:
My first real race sim was the ubiquitous GTR2. which is still on my 'racing' HD today.

Last edited:
Then when i got home, i played my first racegames / racesims for hours and hours on the Amiga 500:
a50011.jpg

My favorite top 5 on the Amiga 500:

1. VROOM!

2. Lotus Turbo Challenge 2

3. Jaguar XJ220
4. Indianapolis 500

5. Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge

What an era of lovely memories and happy that i've experienced it all from the early beginning.
Hope you like this post! :thumbsup:

Amazing ! I spent so many hours on the Amiga 500 exactly on the same games, and classified in the same order ! (Jaguar XJ220 had anyway a very cool feature that you could create your own tracks)
Thank you for the images and this happy memories !

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.