Have Your Say: Your First Racing Game

Have Your Say - Tell Us Your First Racing Game.jpg

Everyone remembers their first love, and racing games are no different. With such a wealth of content on offer today, can you cast your mind back and remember the very first?

No doubt about it, "sim racing" has advanced practically beyond imagination since those tentative first days of Pole Position back in the early 1980's. With highly polished graphics, detailed physics, multi car grids, online racing and all the other bells and whistles of modern gaming, a sim racer today is spoilt for choice when it comes to the wonderful pastime of driving digital racing cars.

So for our question today I ask, which game (on what platform) was your very fist foray into the world of racing?

Have fun reminiscing and enjoy the weekend!

Pretty sure my first racing game was "Pole Position" on Atari 2600.
I think my first proper "simulation" was "Indianapolis 500: the simulation" followed by pretty much all the Papyrus racing games during the 90s, those games just blew my mind at the time, especially Indycar Racing and Grand Prix Legends.

Grand Prix Legends- the original release and later the 2004 update -still have it on my other older pc.Could never beat Jim Clark until someone showed how to tweak the AI.
Some of todays games could learn a few things from GPLs' AI
Grand Prix Legends took over my life for about 18 months. Used to dream about it. Such an incredibly immersive sim. Each car and each track in my head forever. Wonderful racing sim.

my first racegames was......speed king, action biker, pole postion and revs.
i was visit a scoolfriend and did sleed the weekend in his home, and this was first time i saw a commodore 64, a older friend of him had endless cassetten (datasette?) of games and we did play the whole weekend,
and this 4 racegames a still can remember that we did drive (but i did not like revs, we did not know how we can drive the car with 11 years, and skip this game quick).

little off topic (nostalgic emotion..) i still can remember very well to this weekend, it was all so new and great, pooyan, commando, manic miner, summer games1 and decathlon (joystick killer) we did play most this weekend. any weeks later i got a c64 too.....perhaps this was the best time of my computer time....

Mine was chequered flag on the spectrum (god I'm old) and just about every racing game since.

Nice to see NFS porsche unleashed mentioned - great game.

The first proper sim for me was indy500 on the Amiga, and stunt car racer (awesome)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 328 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 220 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%