F1 2017 Have Your Say: The New F1 2017 Game - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say.jpg

For this edition of our 'Have Your Say' feature of articles we want to know your thoughts on F1 2017, the latest Codemasters official Formula One game.

Released to much fanfare throughout the racing game world, F1 2017 finally hit the store shelves on Friday morning for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, however has the game lived up to the hype, or does it promise more than it can ultimately deliver?

Formula One games have found themselves something of a nice little spot in the racing game marketplace these past few years. It is not quite a fully blown simulation that appeals to a minority within a minority, nor is it totally arcade with fantasy physics calculations. After eight years with the official license, have Codemasters finally found the sweet spot between simulation and mass market appeal?

The question for today is a bit more open than usual, but hopefully generates plenty of debate amongst us sim racing fans:

What is your opinion of the new Codemasters F1 game, and is it any good?

Please stay respectful and constructive in the comments (as we always say..) and let the debate begin!

First off all welldone Codemaster for finaly making F1 2017 . Driving these cars are a challenge and especialy when drive like pro without assists, feeling is much better than all the F1 series from before. Graphics could be better, its shows much like arcade so this can be improved. But there are also negativity things with this game like to much bugs like one of the most irritating bugs is cutting the track for several times and only getting warning, we want this more on a high level, because there are players cutting with all the tyres out of the track and still only getting a warning. please hopefully you guys gonna fix it. What we also missed is a force cockpit driving view this would be great, btw this is a must for getting the real feeling like how real drivers view is. Remember there are people like me playing this game on a high level and we want the most difficult setting like penalties must
be more heavy. Soon i will come and set some issues again and hopefully this problem will be fixed.

All i know is this, there is a race sries called BOSS GP, its mainly for old rich blokes to drive out of date F1 cars in races across the globe. Now in a 2006 Torro Rosso, in 2016 i think, a 50 year old bloke called Ingo Gersti who appears to of once done some karting took his Torro Rosso to pole position at Imola clocking 1.23.49.......

In the same car in 2006 at Imola Scott Speed did a 1.25.410 qual time and V Luzzi did 1.24.879.....
Oh and one M.Schumacher managed pole in a dominant Ferrari at 1.24.598....

Now i've not checked if even that was wet qual in 2006, if so then ok point remains that theres a whole bunch of people racing F1 cars long after the publicity has gone from the cars and driving them very well without simply spinning out every corner and crying because they aren't an actual F1 driver......
There is no reason at all that a person who isn't an F1 driver can't drive an F1 car so no reason why they can't do so in a game.
Codemasters don't have to make the game seem harder than it is in real life is what i'm saying and i think finally they may have nailed it from what i've read...

All this "its for casual console kids" "its mario kart of pad users" is nosense, there are old fella's racing these F1 cars all year and faster in some cases than the cars ever went, most people just don't know about it...

You may want to look at some of the times they set before the timer runs out and then afterwards. For me in Australia for instance, Grosjean would set times in the 1:23.6-1:23.7 ballpark on 110% in Q2 without the bug and 1:22.9 with the bug. The frontrunners also went from around 1:21.7-1:22.0 to 1:21.2.

And unfortunately if it was an easy fix they would've probably fixed it after 2016, since it's present there too, just on a much smaller scale as it usually affects only 1-3 drivers. Then again, we all know how lazy CM can be at times.
I can see now the times are screwed up now I actually looked what is going on. I pass my quali R&D test and achieve the target of 9th say so in theory I should be around the top ten but I end up 17th-18th at the end of the session.

Some detailed things people have not mentioned:

+Customize controls: I am able to make an entirely new control schemes that include custom button bindings and all aspects of wheel calibration. Super cool if you have exchangeable rims and wish to use a classic rim with a different button layout and FFB configuration.

+POV Adjustments: There's a whole bunch of camera adjustments that can be applied for each different view, although I did not notice a setting to remove the cockpit wheel

+Time Trial Comparisons: You can do a quick switch between cars and tracks in time trial mode, and the timing sheet keeps track of the entire session, allowing you to directly compare sector times for different generations of cars on the same track. Neat.

All i know is this, there is a race sries called BOSS GP, its mainly for old rich blokes to drive out of date F1 cars in races across the globe. Now in a 2006 Torro Rosso, in 2016 i think, a 50 year old bloke called Ingo Gersti who appears to of once done some karting took his Torro Rosso to pole position at Imola clocking 1.23.49.......

In the same car in 2006 at Imola Scott Speed did a 1.25.410 qual time and V Luzzi did 1.24.879.....
Oh and one M.Schumacher managed pole in a dominant Ferrari at 1.24.598....

Now i've not checked if even that was wet qual in 2006, if so then ok point remains that theres a whole bunch of people racing F1 cars long after the publicity has gone from the cars and driving them very well without simply spinning out every corner and crying because they aren't an actual F1 driver......
There is no reason at all that a person who isn't an F1 driver can't drive an F1 car so no reason why they can't do so in a game.
Codemasters don't have to make the game seem harder than it is in real life is what i'm saying and i think finally they may have nailed it from what i've read...

All this "its for casual console kids" "its mario kart of pad users" is nosense, there are old fella's racing these F1 cars all year and faster in some cases than the cars ever went, most people just don't know about it...
the track has changed significantly since f1 last ran there, there are less chicanes now so it it should be quicker now.

I don't think its faster now to be honest and further research says Schumi got pole in 1.22. But anyway point is there is this myth around F1 cars being somehow impossible to drive when theres every evidence this is incorrect, just simple intelligence would tell you they are not designed to be impossible to get round corners and in fact the very opposite is true.

Yes the Variente Bassa chicane was removed in 2008 (the one just before the pit entrance which was a slow 2nd gear chicance). So the run from Rivazza to the Tamburrello chicane is one long straight now :thumbsup:

http://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/italy/imola.html#.WabAkhGWyUk

OK cool, but like i say point remains bunch of rich old fellas who were not even close to being in F1 are happily racing these F1 cars around.
What sim racing lacks and is in dire dire need of is some cool PR and some cool sim racers, most of them look like nerdy basement dwellers which lends to that image of gamers being ugly geeks with no friends....

Not every racing driver is Steve McQueen but these are the images that stick with us...
Most club racing drivers are just old fat blokes but racing drivers have a cool image regardless, sim racers not so much..

I never thought I'd enjoy an F1 game so much,when I have to lift and coast and short shift. Component wear is always at the forefront of my racing. Swapping engines new and old for practice and qualy and the general balancing act involved is pretty fantastic in my view. I'm ******g loving it!.

Last edited:
I would they implement the Asseto corsa F1 2017 Hybride in the F1 2017 from codemasters. THe asseto hybride is just a real SIM race game damn great to play it. Sad that F1 2017 is not that great like Asseto

From some one who only plays the game casually using a game pad PS4, I have to say this game is a big step up from last year.

I can drive with traction control on medium using the pad and remain (reasonably) competitive. I'd prefer a bit more depth on setups, and possibly some proper telemetary/feedback on setups etc.

Would be nice if the graphics were a bit sharper, and PS4 pro support.

So far, so good, considering getting a steering wheel!

I would they implement the Asseto corsa F1 2017 Hybride in the F1 2017 from codemasters. THe asseto hybride is just a real SIM race game damn great to play it. Sad that F1 2017 is not that great like Asseto
No thanks. That mod is absolutely terrible. AMS's Formula Ultimate would be a much better bet. Hell, these cars are much better too.

No thanks. That mod is absolutely terrible. AMS's Formula Ultimate would be a much better bet. Hell, these cars are much better too.

While i can only say great things about AMS formula ultimate i disagree strongly that AC mod F12017 hybrid being terrible, i mean how on earth have you come to that conclusion?

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%