F1 2017 Have Your Say: The New F1 2017 Game - Good, Bad or Indifferent?

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Have Your Say.jpg

For this edition of our 'Have Your Say' feature of articles we want to know your thoughts on F1 2017, the latest Codemasters official Formula One game.

Released to much fanfare throughout the racing game world, F1 2017 finally hit the store shelves on Friday morning for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC, however has the game lived up to the hype, or does it promise more than it can ultimately deliver?

Formula One games have found themselves something of a nice little spot in the racing game marketplace these past few years. It is not quite a fully blown simulation that appeals to a minority within a minority, nor is it totally arcade with fantasy physics calculations. After eight years with the official license, have Codemasters finally found the sweet spot between simulation and mass market appeal?

The question for today is a bit more open than usual, but hopefully generates plenty of debate amongst us sim racing fans:

What is your opinion of the new Codemasters F1 game, and is it any good?

Please stay respectful and constructive in the comments (as we always say..) and let the debate begin!

I love it. So far, easily the best of the F1 series. Last years game was good, and they further refined it this year. I just hope next year they'll follow other games leads and give us F2 to start a career in.

Yeah it's really good. FFB is the same as last year so that could be better, same goes for the AI.
Physics and handling is far far better, no more stupid wheelspin while going in a straight line in 4th and 5th gear.
Performance is also well optimized, running triple monitors at high/max graphics with solid 60 fps on a GTX 970.

Pretty great but i have 1 huge problem... The engine wear in 25 percent career mode is absolutely insane, around 30-40% wear after 1 race (in a force india)
Try shifting a bit earlier and downshift slower. These engines aren't made to go over 11500 RPM so you will actually gain some time and have less wear by doing this. :)

It's much more enjoyable than 2012-2015, and a big improvement over last year. This is the first release since 2010 and 2011 that I've actually enjoyed, and I've purchased every one (most regrettably). I love the old content, need to get a proper gear box for my fanatec. The ffb is better this year, I can feel the road a bit. Still slower in F1 2017 than I am in Assetto Corsa with "the same" car and track.

Loving the game on PC, super fast and looks great. Some gripes though, first one and the 'biggy' NO VR!. Ok that's out of the way, something else I noticed is the engine wear is too extreme after one race despite short shifting etc. Also the replay shows bits coming off the car all the way around the track when the engine is damaged e.g. smoking. That is ridiculous as it looks like body work flying off and ticker tape everywhere...that needs a patch codies.

Didn't buy the last 2 games but I'm glad I got this. Played about 2-3 last night and thinks brilliant. The 17 cars drive very nicely,engines could sound better. Not had much time on the classic cars yet. Career mode is great very in depth.

I like the new direction that Codemasters went with the game since 2015 a lot.

But the game is inferior in input latency compared to the other racing games we have on PC.
Be it rFactor 2, Mario Kart or Mortal Kombat some people simply cannot cope with that.

It's nice that people like InsideSimRacing finally mentioned it so the devs hopefully try to improve on that aspect.
I hope the youtubers that Codemasters surveyed told them that there is something off with game.

I like the new direction that Codemasters went with the game since 2015 a lot.

But the game is inferior in input latency compared to the other racing games we have on PC.
Be it rFactor 2, Mario Kart or Mortal Kombat some people simply cannot cope with that.

It's nice that people like InsideSimRacing finally mentioned it so the devs hopefully try to improve on that aspect.
I hope the youtubers that Codemasters surveyed told them that there is something off with game.
IMO the Youtubers that test for Codemasters seem firmly in their pocket, almost Stig and SMS level, their channels are heavily focussed on the F1 series rather than general simracing, they probably would get better feedback if they reached to other people.

ISR said it's a resource hog. How does this run on i7 + 980Ti and triple screen? Think I'm gonna wait for pCars 2 to decide if I'm gonna get either of them.

The career seems interesting and something that HC sims don't have. But supporting badly optimized games isn't good. And I can't play driving games without triples anymore

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years