Have Your Say: Should All Sims Have Flashback/Rewind Options?

The way I see it is this; if the flashback/rewind/time travel jump had never ever been invented in race games, do you think anyone would have ever expected it or asked for it? I honestly don't think so. Just my opinion.
Of course someone asked for it or requested it at some point, that's how many new features get created and implemented.

No , in real life you get no 2nd chance , so why in a game no one gets 100 % correct in life & so it should be in a game too that is realistic , If I crash out of a race then that is it , you do the whole thing over again or just except the result and carry on. practice makes perfect & that takes time just a simple fact , there are no short cuts in the real world at the end of the day.
At the end of the day it personal choice , I just happen to find repeat one spot until you get it correct unrewarding. I may not like loosing but that is just a fact of life.
Playing a game isn't the same as real life though, never will be, sorry.

Of course someone asked for it or requested it at some point, that's how many new features get created and implemented.

Did they? Can't imagine who would want it or request it or even think about it, but that's just me. We are all different.

I had the idea long before GRID...you don't have to be Leonardo da Vinci to imagine useful ideas. But you are right, we are all different
remember when I started sim racing a year a go. In my first practicesession I asked, where the save button was, so I could train some difficult corners. until that point some experienced drivers had been very helpfull and polite helping us new guys. Iracing can be overwhelming at start. when I asked that question i met the same non-arguments and lack of reasoning as some people present here. :)

remember when I started sim racing a year a go. In my first practicesession I asked, where the save button was, so I could train some difficult corners. until that point some experienced drivers had been very helpfull and polite helping us new guys. Iracing can be overwhelming at start. when I asked that question i met the same non-arguments and lack of reasoning as some people present here. :)

To train some corners? Are you serious? You just use practice. You do laps. You learn the circuit. It is as simple as that. Go around the lap and try it again. That is the normal thing to do. You certainly don't need to rewind/flashback a few seconds to before the corner. That's just plain silly. You can have corner markers and ideal lines on if you must.
I take it your first practice session was offline? You can not do any of the save or rewind business online. Just wondering because you say you asked the guys where the save button was.

To train some corners? Are you serious? You just use practice. You do laps. You learn the circuit. It is as simple as that. Go around the lap and try it again. That is the normal thing to do. You certainly don't need to rewind/flashback a few seconds to before the corner. That's just plain silly. You can have corner markers and ideal lines on if you must.
I take it your first practice session was offline? You can not do any of the save or rewind business online. Just wondering because you say you asked the guys where the save button was.
My first practice session was actually online with other drivers, and hence other drivers were chatting regarding tips and tricks I asked. Obviously is should not be implemented when driving with other drivers(I think you refer to that when saying online). It should only be available when driving alone (this is in fact also online :) in Iracing). Maybe an offline training mode could be implemented. :)

You just use practice. You do laps. You learn the circuit. It is as simple as that. Go around the lap and try it again. That is the normal thing to do. You certainly don't need to rewind/flashback a few seconds to before the corner. That's just plain silly
Where is your argument?

but..still.. who the he** are you to make that decision... seriously you have the right to your opinion but why are you trying to to explain what is silly or not? if is silly..dont use it, done, and no...isnt just a few seconds the rewind gives you something like 20sec..so yes it is the dream tool to master faster certain corners, you keep checking your time at real time and resetting to the previous section of the track to retry again the corner(or corners) you wanna practice...the fu****ing real F1 drivers do it on their simulators and now you come with your deep knowledge and say "That's just plain silly" goshhh people like you without side vision is just...sad

Formula 1 Preparation before Road America in the simulator. :)

Lewis: "Is it possible to make a flashback/rewind option in the simulator so i could rewind to the state i had into turn 11 and then stop again after turn 14. Then I could train that section of the track over and over again to really perfect it.

Toto Wolf: "That would be way to unrealistic Lewis, we cannot do that"

Lewis: "But i thought the purpose of a simulator was to be able to train without the struggle of real world racing, now I have to run through the whole lap each time"

Toto Wolf: "That is the way to do it, just drive through the whole lap like every one else"

Last edited:

Louis: "Is it possible to make a flashback/rewind option in the simulator so i could rewind to the state i had into turn 11 and then stop again after turn 14. Then I could train that section of the track over and over again to really perfect it.

Toto Wolf: "That would be way to unrealistic Louis, we cannot do that"

Louis: "But i thought the purpose of a simulator was to be able to train without the struggle of real world racing, now I have to run through the whole lap each time"

Toto Wolf: "That is not the way to do it, just drive through the whole lap like every one else"
Draw-Lois-from-Family-Guy-Step-7.jpg

Both for and against are banging their/our heads against a brick wall.
I played racing car games before GPL came out; but as anybody will verify that played GPL all those years ago, here was a turning point...it took no prisoners and only appealed to a certain makeup of a person. ( still does today ).
Today, instant gratification rules for many gamer's; not all of course. Some of this has spread to track racing sim's, because of "hard core track racing sim's," being released on Steam.
The days of "hard core simmers" are numbered...no longer are we a niche on the PC that has been unchanged for years.
Slogging away, doing lap after lap learning a track, does not appeal to many of the newbies to sim racing, nor does jumping in and out of the garage, tweaking set ups to the car, until you honestly know you can not better the results you have and remember, this is for each car at each track!
It is a long time ago now, but it must have taken me the best part of 6 months just to be able to go out at each track in each car ( playing GPL ) and do a decent timed lap...I then drove in my first race. :)
There will always be us niche of "old school," that quietly played our favorite sim' without outside influence and that does not make us the enemy of those that want change...just a different choice.
No, I don't want a rewind facility.

Lewis: "Is it possible to make a flashback/rewind option in the simulator so i could rewind to the state i had into turn 11 and then stop again after turn 14. Then I could train that section of the track over and over again to really perfect it.

Toto Wolf: "That would be way to unrealistic Lewis, we cannot do that"

Lewis: "But i thought the purpose of a simulator was to be able to train without the struggle of real world racing, now I have to run through the whole lap each time"

Toto Wolf: "That is the way to do it, just drive through the whole lap like every one else"
lol..what a narrative

If its in there I'll use it for AI caused wrecks, and honestly I'd rather not. Sometimes the AI is so bad though, you realize you aren't really in a Sim Race at all because AI wouldn't do such things to you as to intentionally put you in the wall unless he just found out you were sleeping with his wife.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back