Have Your Say – Missing Features in Sim Racing

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Have Your Say Features in Sim Racing.jpg

Have Your Say this weekend covers a topic everyone will have an opinion about... missing features in Sim Racing!

Do you yearn for full series licenses? Would you like to see things like tyre allocation / part worn tyres? Wish we had things like a career progression with retiring drivers and inter-team changes? What do you think are the key ingredients to a "perfect sim" that are missing from the current crop of titles? Now is your chance to 'have your say'!

So the question for today is:

What features do you feel should be present but are currently missing from the current crop of racing simulations?

Remember this isn't a "my sim is bigger than your sim" competition, so stay civil and on topic please :D

Image Credit: Hoksu

I said this a lot of other times :D
I actually would like to see an effort to make sim racing... sim racing lol
Right now they all are more driving sims
There needs to be a focus on immersing a player into a full race weekend and everything or most of what happens during a race.
And that means a lot of things such as tire limitations, spare chassis/engines/parts that are all limited in a real weekend. Waiting to repair your car if you crash, putting you at risk of staying out of the race if you crash or blown your engine in warmup. There should be also an option to ask other teams to send yours a spare chassis if yours are done and you dont have one (in case the teams use same cars)
This all should also be animated, car repairs, proper pit crew (with them pushing your car out of the pits as happens in real life), teams cleaning debris, towing the car. Etc
Yes I'm asking too much. But I want to feel in a race when racing, right now I dont.

Well that would be a long long list,
  • usually the track grip is not localized and instead it's lazy done as global, Arcade Corsa correct me if I'm wrong but that's how that one seems to me, LFS same. rF may have it.
  • Weather as in physics weather not just graphics, rain, snow, ice, mud, gravel, grass, ... not just tarmac and some lazy slippery jumpy off track.
  • Elevation in physics, changes in engine power
  • proper complex AWD systems not the simple barely controllable stuff, often everything hard rigged as even AC has it, RBR had some but who knows how accurate
  • real time done aero dynamics from the 3D model, not these simple prebaked LUTs
  • heat and wear on engine, gearbox, drivetrain, brakes, ...
  • and of course the usual driver swapping, team support, spectating, ... some do better some worse, AC is terrible in this regard
  • option for the above mentioned hardcore mode where leagues, servers don't have to rely on 3rd party apps to add cost to damage etc. Not just hop in and drive but offer options that otherwise have to be fulfilled by other means when wanted, briefing, all of the pre and post race really. And this is what is missing from even single player of most sims where such options are a must for atmosphere and immersion. Have a garage, manage, repair, and so on. And of course this offers endless options for $ milking too...
  • races have a safety car as an available option, automated and user/admin controllable
  • waaay better racing rules system to give proper real like penalizations and DQs for bad behavior, cutting, wrecking, again with option to be taken over by race organizers, no need for endless 3d party apps that often don't work anyway
  • rolling start option from behind a safety car
  • copilot automatic and user controllable, useful for rally, no magic arcade signs, just voice, plus user definable pace notes, no need for 3rd party apps
  • And of course night driving, not just day.
And then one looks at arcades and...

Last edited:
I'd like more focus on the spectacle. Like mentioned above, moving crowds, moving pit crew (for all cars), flag marshals on track on the cooldown lap, podium ceremonies... Have you noticed how dead our sim tracks look???
I also want any weather, any time of the day in every game. There's no excuse not to have this anymore.
I really don't need a tire model v503.5... all the major sims are behaving pretty great right now. Just invest in the new features.

Engine sounds generally could be better. AMS is probably the best i've heard in this regard, but watch any good onboard video on youtube and it's clear that we're nowhere near that yet.
Would make a huge difference if someone is able to achieve something that sounds more realistic.

I'm still a sucker for proper steering feel, eye blinding visuals and orgasmic sounds above all else but most sims could use additional content to spice up the experience a bit.

Below is just my point of view regarding games I own.
Assetto Corsa is a pretty well done sim, but Kunos should include Day-Night transition and dynamic weather in order to make AC even better.
AMS only needs VR support to become the ULTIMATE Sim out there. We all know it is NOT gonna happen, not in AMS, but VR would be available in the next Reiza title. Time will tell.
BeamNG.drive, I only use it to destroy cars or just to let my little nephew to hang around. It does the job.
ETS2/ATS, well Trucking Sim, not a big fan of it, but these games are actually kinda fun to play. As a side note, in Rosario (a city near where I live) if you need to obtain the truck driving licence you first take some classes using ETS2 before taking the final exam in a real truck lol.
Project Cars (1), it was the first game I bought after getting my "gaming pc". I loved it until I got AC, rF2 and AMS. PC's cars has TOO much grip/downforce, and I don't know if they updated that on PC2 or not as I didn't buy it yet.
RaceRoom Racing Experience, love it way too much! Its sounds are just awesome, transmission physics are great! As in AC, it only needs dynamic weather and day-night transition. Isn't Sector3 Studios working on GTR3? That's promising.
rFactor2, S397 is doing a great job with the new updates, game is getting better and better after every update. VR immersion is great under DX11, and day-night transition and weather is good.

Well, I think that's all. Lets keep watching Camping World Truck Series lol

Pretty much all current titles miss the chance to present a proper, multi-manifacturer race with proper rulesets. So besides single-license titles like Codemasters F1, you never get to race a "proper" series...

Of course I also still dream of a 1960s Endurance title that actually lets you manage some design tradeoffs, driver teams, mechanical failures and stuff.

People (sometimes rightly so) scoff at Milestone for their motorbike games, but what they had for years is a multi-season career moving up trough the ranks of smaller to larger classes (Moto3, Moto2, MotoGP...) nowadays even with the option to build and brand your own team, so with a bit of managerial side to it. Imagine a modern Endurance Sim doing that, where you could go from GTAM to GTPRO to LMP2 to LMP1...

For the real management fanatics, imagine if Motorsport manager teamed up with AC or RF2 to translate the actual racing into a sim. Complete with giving you and the AI the specification cars that the management part created... I think that F1 2017 went a large way here to make decisions off the track count (if you like doing so... always keep these things optional).

• Deleted member 113561

Engine sounds generally could be better. AMS is probably the best i've heard in this regard, but watch any good onboard video on youtube and it's clear that we're nowhere near that yet.
Would make a huge difference if someone is able to achieve something that sounds more realistic.
Onboard videos on Youtube are always compressed (Youtube does it), further most onboard mic don't have the quality necessary, nor do the soundsystems of the one playing the sound ....
Common misconception
And then one looks at arcades and...
This is not pCARS, it is pCARS 2 XD

The point is still that the sounds in the sims are not realistic enough, regardless of youtube compression or microphones. Attend a real race and hear the engine sounds for oneself - games are not getting close to that yet.
Sorry but I don't think you can really judge that ... as you probably don't have the equipment for it
And yes, I attended multiple races, incl. Formula 1 (2008) and LeMans

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been some good replies already. :thumbsup:

Knowing a few people involved in development of past and present sim-racing titles, what I'm very sure is that decisions around development today have a lot more to do with money, and less about what the developers really want to create or innovate.

Developing sim-racing games with bigger detail (and newer tech) today is more expensive than before, especially since most developer-houses in this genre are self-financed (no more big companies funding from behind).
We had a time when specializing a game-title for specific racing-series was the first step.
Instead, we now have game-titles composed of mish-mash of cars+tracks that, more often than not, are more appropriate for a track-day and hotlapping (driving) simulator, than for a propper racing simulation. :sleep:
You can't accommodate different automotive disciplines and classes/categories in one game, then hype about the highest levels of racing details for all, because that's impossible. Something has to give (obviously) and I think the lack (or loss) of features became the first "sacrifice" decision by committee.
The budgets, user statistics, sales results, popularity status in the community (etc) became ever more important. :sick: And I think this is the number one issue, the root of the problem.

Also, the lack of vision and innovation among simracing developers today is shocking.
I facepalm everytime I read/hear a developer embarassing himself by saying "No, we will not have day-night cycles, or dynamic weather (or this, and that, etc) because most will barely give it attention".
This has been a constant, and it's moronic. :poop:
With that line of thought (typical commercial assumptions), some of the best sim-racing titles wouldn't have existed.

For example, GPL. This is a paradoxical game in that, in its day, the ROI was pathetic (it was a commercial failure). Yet, GPL was perhaps the biggest jump-starter of a whole movement in a growing and changing community of gamers. It is the most iconic and inspirational sim-racing game of all time.
Roll back to that time and, I'm sure, some of you will remember it. Not just the game itself, but the years following its release. The amazing high standards and caliber of modding around it. The leagues, the gentlemen-(sim)racers, the levels of maturity involved, perhaps unseen before (or since, some would argue).
The point is, GPL was the sim-racing game its developers really wanted to make - within their capabilities and budget, I'm sure. :) And that's when magic is done.

I could mention others, such as the original GTR by Simbin, following the dream involved in that huge modding project by SBDT just a few years before, called GTR2002, back when they were talented modders and not the popular developers they would become. ;)
Eleven years later, its sequel (GTR2) is still considered the most complete sim-racing game! :confused:
And also GT-Legends. You see, Ian Bell has been criticized in recent times (and PCars has been somewhat controversial among sim-racers) but, back then, he knew very well what tickled GPL users (which he and part of the Blimey/Simbin crew once were too), and knew what was missing in the sim-racing scene. ;) Perhaps it was a risk then but, twelve years later, we all drool just thinking about a sequel to GT-Legends made with more modern, higher standards.

And we still talk about these older game-titles today with fondness. :coffee:
There are reasons for it. Nostalgia only goes so far.

Newer simulations missing important features for the context, which are found in much older ones, is inexcusable (IMO).
There are other things. For example, we have already reached tremendous levels of graphical realism. When will the audio follow suit? :mad: (sounds are still the aspect which developers care the least)

Last edited:
Onboard videos on Youtube are always compressed (Youtube does it), further most onboard mic don't have the quality necessary, nor do the soundsystems of the one playing the sound ....
Common misconception
This is not pCARS, it is pCARS 2 XD
The point is still that the sounds in the sims are not realistic enough, regardless of youtube compression or microphones. Attend a real race and hear the engine sounds for oneself - games are not getting close to that yet.

• ronniej

I'd like more focus on the spectacle. Like mentioned above, moving crowds, moving pit crew (for all cars), flag marshals on track on the cooldown lap, podium ceremonies... Have you noticed how dead our sim tracks look???
I would like to see more of this as well for immersion effect...
I'm under the impression that we can either have one or the other in regards to graphics or physics in our "driving/racing sims" until developers can make use of more cpu cores and upcoming GPU'S...I've noticed that the more "realistic" racing games I play (AC, Rf2, AMS ) are not so pretty as compared to some others.

GTR2 style driving schools. :thumbsup:

Took me 5+ years of devoted trial and error before I really understood what fast feels like. I'm still not fast by any means, but I'm finally just now at the point where I'm mostly limited by my physical toolsets and not my lack of understanding of what I should be trying to get the car to do through the different phases.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back