Have You Been Watching the 2018 IMSA Sports Car Championships?

weathertech_980.jpg

Have you been watching the 2018 IMSA Sports Car Championships?

I have to admit I stopped watching auto racing on TV sometime after I stopped racing cars about 30 years ago. At that time almost all you could find on TV in the US was Indycar or NASCAR ... and frankly those two forms of racing bored the living snot out of me. About three plus years ago, my youngest son introduced me to Assetto Corsa and coincidentally at the same time I caught a look at the (new at the time) Ford GTE-GTLM ... and I was re-addicted. What made it better (worse, if you ask my wife) I found how much racing from around the world, both old archival stuff and new races, could be found on YouTube. There has been some very exciting sports car racing going on in my absence!

I know you fellas over there in Europe have some great racing, and the stuff from Australia (Mt Panorama is the home of the GODS!!!) is fabulous, but if you haven't been watching the IMSA sports car events, especially the LMP, GTE/GTLM and GT racing you really are missing out on some great stuff.

About a week ago, Round 9 of the Current IMSA championship series was held at Road America (YouTube HERE) and I gotta tell you ... it was a barn-burner for sure! I don't think I've seen racing this close and this hard since Cale Yarborough got into it with Bobby and Donnie Allison at the Daytona 500 back in 1979! At times the busted up carbon fibre piled up almost as deep as the snow up in Plymouth, Wisconsin. You want Better? This race came just a week or so after Round 8 which was held at Lime Rock Park (YouTube HERE) where the cars were busting sub-50 second laps ... door-to-door!

IMSA has a couple names for these races which makes things a little confusing (for ME ... but then, I'm OLD), so finding them on YouTube can be a little difficult. I do a search for "IMSA 2018" (or IMSA 2017 or IMSA 2016 since I mostly live in the past) and look for the most current entry. If you have a better way to find these races, please share it. I know I could subscribe to IMSA TV ... but I would have to pay for a lot of other TV that I don't want, so it's not a good alternative for me. IMSA posts the races on YouTube about 3 days after the event, so all I have to do is avoid the news for a couple days ... and it's almost like being there.

Unless I'm baddy confused, there are 3 races left in the 12 race series and the Championship in all three classes almost couldn't be more hotly contested, with ties for first place in all three classes, Prototype, GTE-GTLM, and GTD. Current standings can be viewed HERE. The remaining races include: VIR, Laguna Seca, and finally The Petit LeMans 10 hours at Road Atlanta and I have to tell you that I don't see the action slowing down until after the last lap of the last race. See IMSA Schedule for more details (IMSA SCHEDULE HERE).

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Have you been following IMSA sports car racing, either the Weathertech Championship series or the Continental Tire Championship series? Do you have a favorite car or driver? Let us know what you think about it in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I've definitely been following both of the series, Weathertech and Continental Tire. You're right, the racing has been close and very competitive. I love all three classes and I can't wait for the season-ending Petit Le Mans.
I was a little disappointed to see that the sanctioning body is going to separate the prototypes next year. I'm not sure how many LMP2 cars will show up when they will no longer be competing for wins.
Corvette seems to lack pace in the GTLM class, but have been very consistent this year, so I'm rooting for them. I would love to see an LMP2 car take the prototype class win and the Lambo in GTD.

IMSA has been a joy to watch for the last couple of years, providing fabulous circuits, great cars and close, multi-class racing. IMSA TV's coverage, without advertisements, is excellent. And how about this for a roster of tracks in 2019?:

Daytona
Sebring
Long Beach
Mid-Ohio
Belle Isle Park
Watkins Glen
Mosport
Lime Rock Park
Road America
VIR
Laguna Seca
Road Atlanta
:inlove:

Yeah ... and Road Atlanta is less than 30 miles or so from my front door. Daytona and Sebring isn't all that far that I can't talk the wife into a trip, maybe ... even if I have to beg ... and do the dishes.

Watched this one as well, it was amazing to see so many battles and tactic calls happening until the end! The commentators did a good job to make us help understand this, and to be honest it is more exciting for me to watch than the WEC. Maybe the tracks help out a bit, don't know, but it all is delivering good entertainment for sure :)

Been watching every race and you are right some of (if not) the best racing on show at the moment. The classes BoP has made the action close and you can never predict whose gonna take the win. In the prototypes the accura has been fast all season but I've been rooting for the JDC miller motorsport LMP2 cars cause the LMP2s seem like the under dogs.

For GTE ford and porsche have been fastest consistently but corvette have great race stratergy and are always in the fight come the end of the race and I would love them to take the championship. The BMW has been struggling all season in both IMSA and WEC it seems. Hopefully they start performing better, looked like they were on form at Road America but miscalculation on fuel cost them the win which is a shame.

GTD is just a rollercoaster lexus are quick but struggle towards the end of a stint, the lambo is always there to pounce when opportunity arises, the accuras are consistent and always in the hunt and the porsche flies around the track like no mans business. Again another class where every race multiple cars could easily take the win but a surprise always pop up.

As for watching it I suggest downloading the app it tells you when events are going live and you can tune in to a live broadcast on the imsa.tv website or there is the option of watching on youtube. If your a fan of racing IMSA is the series to be watching right now.

Since you're getting back into things, you should really go through and watch this season of Indycar as well. With the new aero kits it's been every bit as exciting as this season in IMSA. Point of reference: At Mid Ohio there was over 140 passes for position on track, and the whole race went green. All of the Indycar races are also posted on the official Indycar channel roughly a week after the actual race, so you can watch it all for free as well! It's been one hell of a season so far.

This has been such a great year for North American motorsport.

... The BMW has been struggling all season in both IMSA and WEC it seems. Hopefully they start performing better, looked like they were on form at Road America but miscalculation on fuel cost them the win which is a shame.

I KNEW he was going to run out of fuel and on that last lap I kept telling the wife that he wouldn't make it up the hill into the pits. Even though I am a BIG Ford fan, I really hurt for the BMW team.

BTW ... does anybody know if we have that BMW in AC? I think we have nearly everything else AC needs to make a GTE-GTLM grid.

John Hindhaugh and Jeremy Shaw on IMSA radio with the TV broadcast on Youtube is the only way to watch, besides at the track.
Had 33 entries this past weekend at RA with the GT3 Cup and Lambo races was fantastic.

IMSA is great and we are seeing some golden age again (which mostly happens when new regs appear)
Really really wish a dev would manage to license all cars, tracks and then work on race immersion such as pit animations and rescue teams too with FCY and that stuff.
It's disappointing to watch a race like these and then there is no sim with all the cars/tracks (that aren't mods) and no immersion either. This is the kind of stuff that is pushing me away from sim racing, I dont feel like any of them simulate an actual race.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 79 29.3%
  • More leagues

Votes: 55 20.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Trophies

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 17 6.3%