H-pattern cars, no clutch needed?

Hello,

I'm using a sequential shifter.

I would like to know why am i able to shift H-pattern cars without using the clutch, at any engine rpm.

The only thing you need to do is release the throttle, but even if you stay accelerating the gear still engages without damaging the gearbox.

What's happening?

EDIT: I was testing my Renault Kangoo today.

I found that it is perfectly possible to engage gears without using the clutch, but you need to be at the correct engine rpm, otherwise it will just stay in neutral. (No grinding sound, just stay in neutral).

Also, that it is a LOT easier to engage gears this way, when upshifting than when downshifting.

I only heard the grinding sound when i tried to engage gears while not using the clutch and accelerating at the same time.

Last edited:
If you use a sequential shifter in a manual and don't clutch, AC applies the automatic clutch profile for you because the sequential spends no time in neutral. Only requires rev matching if you use an actual h pattern shifter, and refuses gears by leaving it in neutral.

Hello,

I'm using a sequential shifter.

I would like to know why am i able to shift H-pattern cars without using the clutch, at any engine rpm.

The only thing you need to do is release the throttle, but even if you stay accelerating the gear still engages without damaging the gearbox.

What's happening?

Because in Dirt Rally for example, if you try to shift a H-pattern car without using the clutch, you hear a grinding sound and the gear do not engage, just like in real life.
woops stereo is right , i misread your post ,your using sequential

AC treats the sequential as a paddle shift during shifts, that is, it does the gear-neutral-gear for you. Many cars still need a lift and a blip on up/down shifts though. It is different to auto clutch which takes full control of the clutch properties such as the launch off the start. You can't turn this base aid off, very annoying to those who want a full manual sequential shift for the likes of the V8 supercars which use clutch downshifts. Try the 1967 Ferrari 312 F1 car to experience the grinding transmission on misshifts.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back