Gtr2 improvement on AI

Hi guys that still racing gtr2,

I found a way to improve AI racing
One step more above the von dutch tutorial.

But it takes a long long time to
Make it all happen.
If its worth it its up to your selfs
But i want to share it.

Later this day i am going to make a little youtube clip to demonstrate it.
Because it takes too much typing to explaine.

Looking forward to seeing it!

I've worked on my own for quite a while, you can see it here:

I have see your mod a few times i did not tested yet. But i will.

The problem i encounter with gtr2 and also many newer race sims is.

The way the game is build.
(Mean the way simbim made there folder structure)

Example.. all cars are the same in a single class. Meaning if you select a race with 10 ai's lets say ferrari f 550's only all the cars are the same only the livery is different.

Thats because the mod makers but also game makers do this because its easy.

All the 10 ferrari's use the same sp file, engine file, hdc file same setup file etc
And this is where the problem is at..

In real life cars even between team mates arent the same. And setup arent completly the same, Every driver have his own tweaks.

But gtr2 dont let you give every single car his own setup. Because the way the folder structure is and how the game reads and searches for the files.

The setup needs to be in the main car folder (where the eng file hdc etc is located)

So if you make 10 copies of the ferrari f550 team folder and give them a name like ferrari f550 teams - 1, ferrari f550 teams - 2 etc. I allways name them with - xx , xx the number of the car linked to the livery

And delete in every other liveries that arent linked with the car number.

So you end up. With 10 stand alone cars
In stead of 1 f550 with 10 skins.

Then you can give every car there own setup file there own engine file. Gearbox.. sp. Etc. So you can tweak every car instead of the 1 setup for all the ferrari f550 cars.a

Example

So you can give ferrari f550 car number 1
High downforce, softer springs, hard tyres
And give the ferrari car number 2 medium tyres, softer springs, lower downforce.

Ah, right, I know what you mean. Sounds like we have different goals.

My main issue with stock AI was always that it was *too* variable in AI driving performance, like the field was way too spread out in performance (laptimes).

I tried to tune "up" from stock AI config but found out I needed to tune "down" from perfect AI. Actually, by the end, I discovered perfect AI were actually the best route to go and leave it up to the in-game behind-the-scenes routines to spread out the AI skill-wise across the field. That's been my best result so far for close fighting and intense racing.

Good luck!

sorry my mic is broken or something so i added gtr2 music instead.

in the video i only show what can be done on the setup side of my AI handling update or how you wanna call it.

you can do much more with it if you let your mind wonder..

I use this also for short races.
So i can edit the hdc file

Changing the amount of fuel they can put in at the start of the race..

Example car 1 gets 40 liters but at the pitstop they can put 80 liters in

Car 2 can take 50 liters and in the pits also 80 liters.

Car 3 takes 60 liters
Car 4 takes 80 liters

So they dont go all in the same lap to the pits.

Ah, right, I know what you mean. Sounds like we have different goals.

My main issue with stock AI was always that it was *too* variable in AI driving performance, like the field was way too spread out in performance (laptimes).

Good luck!

Gtr2 variable is because gtr2 takes all of the files lets say f550 and say livery one is 100% of the values in the car file and second car is 98% of the values. But now with my type of folder structure gtr2 applies 100% of the values on all of the cars. So gtr2 dont need to be variable.

Setups go into the individual team folders, not the main folders. You can give each car a different setup that way.
Also, you're forgetting talent files.
And you could just give each car a different hdc file, change things like the cars weight or BodyDragBase, that makes a huge difference. I've done that with mods that have league physics (all the same despite different car makes). It's a quick and easy way to change perfomance.

well they dont look at the vanilla cars of gtr2.. and i tested it with meshed up setups so that 1 car gets a good setup <normal gearing> other meshed up gearing with your sayinng they dont use the setup file

i tested it years ago.. and last week same results they only use the setup file in the main car like ferrari 550 teams folder not not the ferrarif550\team scudaria XXX

and for the other part i did make talent files.. but that was not the forum topic... its about setups

I just tried it myself, made two types of setups for a 997 porsche, one with long gears, one with short gears, gave each to 3 different cars and it worked.

So they do use the individual setups in the team folders. At least in my game. Maybe yours is different.

Do you have Player Car Equal set to 0 or 1 in your plr file?

I just tried it myself, made two types of setups for a 997 porsche, one with long gears, one with short gears, gave each to 3 different cars and it worked.

So they do use the individual setups in the team folders. At least in my game. Maybe yours is different.

Do you have Player Car Equal set to 0 or 1 in your plr file?

I tryed to add them in the teams folder.. (if your mean the folder where the xxx.car file is located.. that dont work esspecially with mods.

I need to add setup files in the gamedata\teams\what ever car you want\
Not in \what ever car you want\team scuderia

So thats why i need to make every livery a standalone car.. otherwise gtr2 is only using 1 xxxx.qual.svm file

I have see your mod a few times i did not tested yet. But i will.

The problem i encounter with gtr2 and also many newer race sims is.

The way the game is build.
(Mean the way simbim made there folder structure)

Example.. all cars are the same in a single class. Meaning if you select a race with 10 ai's lets say ferrari f 550's only all the cars are the same only the livery is different.

Thats because the mod makers but also game makers do this because its easy.

All the 10 ferrari's use the same sp file, engine file, hdc file same setup file etc
And this is where the problem is at..

In real life cars even between team mates arent the same. And setup arent completly the same, Every driver have his own tweaks.

But gtr2 dont let you give every single car his own setup. Because the way the folder structure is and how the game reads and searches for the files.

The setup needs to be in the main car folder (where the eng file hdc etc is located)

So if you make 10 copies of the ferrari f550 team folder and give them a name like ferrari f550 teams - 1, ferrari f550 teams - 2 etc. I allways name them with - xx , xx the number of the car linked to the livery

And delete in every other liveries that arent linked with the car number.

So you end up. With 10 stand alone cars
In stead of 1 f550 with 10 skins.

Then you can give every car there own setup file there own engine file. Gearbox.. sp. Etc. So you can tweak every car instead of the 1 setup for all the ferrari f550 cars.a

Example

So you can give ferrari f550 car number 1
High downforce, softer springs, hard tyres
And give the ferrari car number 2 medium tyres, softer springs, lower downforce.
A simpler way is to edit the talent files making each "driver" different.

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 18 78.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 5 21.7%