GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1

Misc GTR2 16th Anniversary PATCH Part-1 16.0.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
your error messages are unusual with gtr2, I think your issue doesn't come from gtr2 itself but it could be a plugin or driver problem ???
If you have a d3d9.dll in gtr2 folder then try to delete it.
Did you install Microsoft DirectX9 ? Try to reinstall it.
I was pretty sure that GTR2 wasn't the problem, and I had filed a report with Microsoft to no avail (duh) and I didn't know where else to turn. The problem started several months ago after one of their updates. I'm still not sure what the issue truly was, but I'm leaning towards the crew chief plugin that I had attached to the steam version and can't seem to get rid of.
Anyway, long story short I remembered that I have a clean install off of the GTR2 disk I bought some years ago when I realized the steam version was missing several cars, and I wanted an actual hard copy of the game anyway. (I took several college courses on computer programming in the late 80s and came away with a certain amount of distrust for computers to screw things up in general that I have never really gotten over.) And I had a copy of that on my old gaming laptop. ( My current computer doesn't have a cd drive) So I transferred that to my external hard drive and ran it just to make sure it still worked after everything that had happened so far. Installed it and then installed the latest update double checked everything twice then restarted my computer and ran the game with the debug app you give, And now it works!!! fuc&ing yay!!!
So many many thank you's to @GTR233 for all your help, as I think this forum would be lacking without you here. :) :cool:

Totally forgot to say that GTR2_SETUP.CMD work natively on all windows versions except WindowsXP/NT because CHOICE.EXE tool is not included by default (I will add it in next hq patch 15.2) so WinXP players need to download and install Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Resource Kit then copy-paste CHOICE.EXE in GTR2 game folder and GTR2_SETUP will work ;)

Edit: added CHOICE.EXE in 15.2.0 so WindowsXP owners can use my GTR2_SETUP.CMD now :)

Last edited:
GTR233 updated GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH with a new update entry:

GTR2 HQ ANNIVERSARY PATCH

-------------------------------------------------------------
| GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH v15.2.0 by GTR233 and friends |

Archive size = 496 Mo
Archive MD5 hash = 0c47ddd549e112dd36188119ccccfebd
Disk space requirement : 1.65 Go for this patch which is bigger than base game (+1.64 Go for base game = 3.29 Go free space required)

This archive was compressed with 7-zip archiver v19.00 so you need at least v19.00 to extract...

Read the rest of this update entry...

The only problem therefore is a heavily modded GTR2 ... if updates happen rather quickly :D :thumbsup:.

That's my case and even though I'm using JSGME to install mods, make the game free of mods in order to start from a clean install takes a rather long time to unactivate addon cars and tracks, just only keep the folder "MODS" and JSGME files and afterwards reactivate all mods.

In this case, you have to choose when it's important to update .... or not according to what's new in the latest update and what is important for your own choice and use.

That's what I mostly do even though I have different GTR2 installs. ( but in fact only 1 is a Steam Version with 10th Anniversary Patch + Crew Chief ... that's the one I use when having a drive but never for modding ... those versions being mostly heavier modded installed on HDD and not SSD as the Steam version ).

GTR233 updated GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH with a new update entry:

GTR2 HQ Anniv. Patch

| GTR2 HQ Anniversary PATCH v15.3.0 by GTR233 and friends |

Disk space requirement : 1.86 Go for this patch which is bigger than base game (+1.64 Go for base game = 3.5 Go free space required)

Archive size = 498 Mo
Archive MD5 hash = 90177b1650eff3691def860530b2cef6
This archive was compressed with 7-zip archiver v19.00 so you need at least v19.00 to extract archive...

Read the rest of this update entry...

I am going to reinstall GTR 2 vanilla and try with the HQ patch again.

PnG3 is installed into it's own folder and working fine so I wll attack this problem that way.

P.S. THAT WORKED!!!!

Last edited:
15.3 is a minor update (brings only compatibility for new CrewChief wipers with button) and 15.2 was downloaded by 700 people so I am sure it works flawlessly... for anyone who applies it over a fresh gtr2 install (dvd or steam) and follow install.txt correctly.
THE BIGGEST PROBLEM TO RUN GTR2.EXE IS TO FIND THE GOOD COMBO WITH COMPATIBILITY MODE (SOME PC NEEDS WINDOWS XP COMPATIBILITY, BUT OTHERS WINDOWS 7, AND OTHERS NO COMPATIBILITY MODE AT ALL) AND ADMINISTRATOR MODE (SOME PC NEEDS ADMIN TO BE CHECKED BUT OTHERS NEED ADMINISTRATOR RIGHTS TO BE DISABLED) : THERE IS NO ABSOLUTE RULE, IT IS CASE BY CASE SO YOU MUST TRY BY YOURSELF TILL GTR2 STARTS.
MOREOVER, CREWCHIEF PLUGIN CHANGES THIS BEHAVIOR.

6 years that I work on this project and this is certainly the most updated and polished GTR2 mod EVER ! And before each release I always send new version to my beta testers to check and avoid bugs.

Last edited:
I had also crashes until I noticed those crashes only happened when CC D3d9.dll was in the GTR2 folder.
After reading the "Happy Path" at Crew Chief's forum for GTR2 .... and especially " not apply any compatibility mode" to GTR2 executables ... all worked fine.

I came to the conclusion that this CC d3d9.dll is done to work with Win10.

That was surely the only problem finally and now this works very fine.

NB: I could not test before the final release as this problem was still there. Just asking @The Iron Wolf more precise instructions, he created this "Happy Path" and all worked at the 1st start.

EDIT: and I must say that this Wiper addition is a perfect one for the immersion in GTR2.
Well done @GTR233 and @The Iron Wolf :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi! Many thanks for this amazing patch! I've got just one problem: I don't see some cars in the showroom? Any solution? Thanks for help.

EDIT: Solved

Last edited:
I have a problem with the patch right now, the cars have too much grip in the wet, I did a test using the 550GTS at SPA'03 with slicks at 50% rainfall and I could drive better than when using Hard Wets, even at 100% rainfall I could still drive with slicks without much effort

Last edited:
Hello you smart lovely lot.
I have just downloaded and installed GTR2 with the 10th anniversary HQ mod, I followed the instructions to the letter and the game booted up and I ran a race weekend with no issues feeling very pleased with myself for playing such a great game.

I chose to quit back to the main menu and select a different car/track combo but the game crashed to desktop. now every time I load up the game and choose any car/track combo the game CTD

I have tried running the GTR_2 debug file but it isn't telling me anything.

Ideas to sort this problem is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hello you smart lovely lot.
I have just downloaded and installed GTR2 with the 10th anniversary HQ mod, I followed the instructions to the letter and the game booted up and I ran a race weekend with no issues feeling very pleased with myself for playing such a great game.

I chose to quit back to the main menu and select a different car/track combo but the game crashed to desktop. now every time I load up the game and choose any car/track combo the game CTD

I have tried running the GTR_2 debug file but it isn't telling me anything.

Ideas to sort this problem is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Are you on Steam or NOCD version? There's a plugin for Steam version that fixes many of the bugs in GTR2, including the startup crash.

EDIT: sorry, ignore me on this one. Didn't notice - game starts fine, so this sounds like a content/configuration issue, not something plugin can help with.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea