GTR2 CTDs no matter what I do

Hey everyone, so I'm trying to get back into GTR2 after a few years but I can't seem to get it up and running on my laptop which is really puzzling me.

Firstly, my laptop's specs:

AMD R7 5800U
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050Ti
16GB RAM (LPDDR5 I think)

I already have GT Legends working, so GTR2 should work generally the same, I know the computer is capable of running it. However, when I launch the game, I make it into the menu as normally, but trying to set up a race in any mode causes a CTD. No matter whether I choose race weekend, open practice, driving school, or whatever else, it always crashes before I even get the chance to change any of the session settings.

I have been trying to look online for fixes but I haven't found very many, and the ones that I have found haven't worked out. Currently, I have GTR2.exe, GTR2Config.exe, and sudo.exe all running as administrator with compatibility mode for Windows 7. Please advise.

Are you absolutely sure that you launch first the GTR2config.exe with Admin Rights ??
I renamed a mistaken GTR2 folder in the documents ( one year old with the same kind of mistake ) and none was recreated when I started GTR2 ( with HQ Anniv Patch ).

With or without CrewChief, that's the same.

BUT when changing resolution for a test WITHOUT ADMIN RIGHTS in the GTR2Config.exe .... the documents are recreated !!

Conclusion: you have a Admin Rights problem somewhere. Do you launch it with Right Click and open with admin rights ?
If you do so, try modifying the properties of this exe file and check "Launch with Admin Rights" in compatibility tab and save.
That's the way I do, at the double click it asks for OK for Admin rights and no problem and no GTR2 folder in documents.

Holy ****, yeah guys that was it. I actually didn't even need the vcredist that Jempy send, just the one that GP sent, thank you guys so much for all your help, I have to be honest I lost patience with this way quicker than you guys did, I seriously appreciate it!
Wormy, could you be specific? Was it Directx9 redist you installed? Many people ask me about this and I'd like to know for sure what you hit, thanks and glad it worked!

Last edited:
Wormy, could you be specific? Was it Directx9 redist you installed? Many people ask me about this and I'd like to know for sure what you hit, thanks and glad it worked!
Yeah, so it's just a DX9 redist package and it's uploaded on RD, I guess it just wasn't something that was installed during the game's first time setup or something.

Here is the link for you or anyone who needs it.

With direct 10 or higher not all the directx 9 files are installled anymore like in the old days

Microsoft/windows is slowly let 32 bit and there for directx9 fade away
But you can install it by hand.

Good to know it works. Welcome back to the good life with gtr2 on you side

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back