GTL Troubleshooting Thread

this is a brand new wheel as the old one was making allot of noise so Logitech just replace it and it was fine and dandy in other sims, and in week-end all good when i tested the track

You have checked everything is securely plugged in? If its not software it sounds like something that could be caused by a loose connection - if not between your pedals and wheel, maybe in the power supply, or wheel to pc usb, its as though pressing the pedal is causing the wheel to loose power for a split second and then get it back, causing the wheel to recalibrate and the sim to stop sensing inputs and stay stuck wherever it was last time it got an input. Your pedals haven't slid forwards and are leaning on the mains power switch that the wheels power supply is plugged into sort of a thing? I managed that once! But it was the power for everything so it all just went dead and boy was I relieved (and feeling stupid) when I found out what had caused it!

I've not had your problem but this week I have had some strange things happen with my wheel in GTL, like it being there but not being recognised? Could Steam have updated something or Windowze updated something thats causing us problems maybe?

Movement?

Just the car as if your on and off the throttle? In controls when you look at the bars for steering and throttle, brakes and clutch do all your controls work as they should or is the throttle, brake or clutch spiking? (dancing up and down a little when you hold it? This could be dirty pots in your pedals or possible sensitivity of pedals set way too high.

The whole screen as in FPS rising and falling or graphics stutter? All sorts can affect this from detail levels to draw distances, special effects and shadows as well as antivirus scans for example in the background causing stutter.

It cured itself, apparently. All is well, now. Don't you just love computers?

Is there a way to show a custom HUD when using bonnet cam ?
I use this in club races my preference

I have XD now installed which shows on over top of the default HUD, I know you can toggle this view on/off but wonder if I could customize just show to speed dial & rev counter . I ask as when getting lapped in club races the blue light flash helps (yes this happens a lot) :rolleyes: , or is there a setting in XD to show this ?

Is there a way to show a custom HUD when using bonnet cam ?
......................., or is there a setting in XD to show this ?

Paul, there are a few ways that might help this.
If you look in your XD.ini file, there are settings to change the appearance and positioining of some of the displays.
eg, Transparency, MoTeC HUD postion, Standings HUD postion, Session-Info HUD postion, MoTeC HUD Scale.

By adjusting these settings you should be able to position the XD info, or the size, or transparency to help your HUD visibility better.

Unfortunately, I only ever use default settings so I don't know which settings might be best for you, you will need to play around with them to see what you like.

Warren Dawes, Rupe set me up with XD last week and I'm happy with default settings, but it's little tricky move around as you can't see what your doing on screen.
I looked a few HUD in game mods but there not what I'm looking for with the dials set up maybe it can't be done :confused:, I can live with it for now.

Warren's been having a few issues with his steam version of GTL
and looking at the steam forum so have many others..
apart from going into the registery and deleting all gtl stuff and starting again i dont know what to suggest
every time Warren logged on he had lost all his money from the cheat and had to start over it turned out it was a bad online code..
there are allot of problems with the free codes that were given out and used to activate the steam version.. and its hard to track the error down to a specific thing ..
some have turned off the updates to gtl inside steam and this has cured alot of the problems maybe other steam users can help more..
im still using the digital version as download...

Yves Larose.
Yes Yves, I recently had heaps of problems similar to yours and especially after I installed the Steam version of GTL. In the end I removed all traces of the Steam version, re-installed my digital download version (originally from RaceRoom), used an old DVD On-Line code I had, and this solved those parts of the problem.
Here is all I can offer you regarding my experiences with the Steam version:
Usually when the on-line code gets reported as "invalid", it means that the key code isn't present in your registry.
Check to see if you have the needed entry in your registry.
It should be located under HKey_Local_Machine\Software\Wow6432Node\10tacle Studios\GTL\Keys
On the right hand side it should show your Serial Number.

Whenever I got the invalid code message when trying to go on-line, I checked the Registry and the code would be missing.

I had to use the normal method for setting up on-line (as listed by Rupe elsewhere here), but when I got to the mesasge "invalid code", if you go back one step, it will then ask you for your code. Enter it and it should accept it and you can then proceed to the Lobby.
Exit out at this point, close GTL, and re-boot the PC. Check that it has saved the code now in the Registry.

In my case, it kept removing the code from the registry after a re-boot, and I couldn't solve it, except for re-entering the code all the time. Hence why I gave up and used a different code.

However, maybe a basic check first, are you entering the code without using the "-" 's. This is now required to get the code in correctly.

Hope this is some help for now. I share your frustration. The Steam version can be very buggy on-line.

Warren Dawes thanks for the help mate but i think its the steam version that is the problem. i have entered the cd-key correctly since i got the game (with the "-") and after i exited the game (no need to reboot the pc) the cd-key is gone from the registry but i noticed something the cd-key is in HKey_Local_Machine\Software\10tacle Studios\GTL\Keys and i don't have Wow6432Node, i'm running XP so maybe the difference come from that your running Win 7 ? anyway its annoying but i can play the game just take me a few more second to get online thats all.

I had an steam issue tonight when clicking on icon GTL did not execute, clicked 2/3 times then started up. Never had this before so I tried starting from the folder icon it started no problem, then steam asked to update system all seems ok now maybe there's some bugs in steam software at the moment ?

I'm using RaceRoom version on Win XP

i have entered the cd-key correctly since i got the game (with the "-") and after i exited the game (no need to reboot the pc) the cd-key is gone from the registry but i noticed something the cd-key is in HKey_Local_Machine\Software\10tacle Studios\GTL\Keys and i don't have Wow6432Node, i'm running XP so maybe the difference come from that your running Win 7 ?

Yep, sorry Yves, I should have mentioned I was using Win 7. That explains the differences in location of the code in the registry.
I don't know why the registry doesn't save the code permanently, but I had similar problems.

Did you try entering the code without the "-"'s? I believe the Steam code doesn't want the "-"'s.

Yves Larose In your Steam library, r-click on GT Legends, then go into the properties.Click the "Updates" tab, and choose "do not automatically update this game", otherwise every time you start Steam it overwrites the reg entry for the code.
You can copy the whole GTL folder to another location and run the game from there, which works fine too.

i think i have a workaround thw cd-key not kept in the registry, i have noticed that my club install does keep it cause its the one that need steam to be start for the game to start while my league install run without steam and keep the cd-key in the registry so me think that if i create a 3rd install and call it GTL club that i won't have the enter the cd-key each time i go online to play. i still need to test it so i'll keep you posted when i'll test it (probably today).

Latest News

What is the reason for your passion for sim racing?

• Watching real motorsport

Votes: 413 69.2%
  • Physics and mechanics

Votes: 261 43.7%
  • Competition and adrenaline

Votes: 282 47.2%
  • Practice for real racing

Votes: 124 20.8%
  • Community and simracers

Votes: 165 27.6%
Back