GTC65 Mixed (inc. Mods) @ Various - Tue 15th Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyer-mix.jpg

Servername: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM
Class: GTC65 (excluding Lotus Elite / Ford GT40)
Track: Lime Rock Mountain
Practice: 20 min
Qualification: 10 min
Race: 14 laps
Note1: Click here to read the password and golden rules!
Note2: Default skins only
Note3: GTC65 Ferrari 250 SWB (download) & Porsche 904 (download) included - the mods must be installed
Note4: Choose a car from Group 1 for Race 1, choose a car from Group 2 for Race 2
Note5: If you participated last time we ran this event (at the Dijons), you cannot choose the same vehicles as then.

Cars for Race 1:
AC Cobra 289
Austin Healey 3000
Corvette 65
Mercedes 300SL
Renault Alpine
Shelby GT 350
Ferrari 250SWB

Cars for Race 2:
AC Cobra 427
Ferrari 275
Jaguar E-Type
Lotus Elan
Porsche 904
TVR Griffith
Shelby Daytona Coupe

I'm changing my car for the first race.

Cobras is evil.

Not so much that I can't get on with them, more that we can't even be in the same room.

You know, I thought that before Dijon Stu, but once you get into a groove with it, they're devastatingly fast...
Stick with it, you might find that once you're on the server and can see the times the other blokes are doing, you might not have to push as hard...

Stick with it boss :wink2:

I gave it a while, mate - I know it's way rapid, but it just doesn't suit the way I drive, I don't have your reactions and I don't like the slidey slidey.

Well, no that last bit's not true, it's good fun when a slide happens and you catch it, but I'm so much more uncomfortable that I don't enjoy it as a primary driving strategy.

I lurves the Vettes, but I drive them pretty neat too. They're one of the only heavier / high power sort of cars I like.

I pretty much gravitate to the lighter / lower power cars.

On most tracks, the Elan will be more than competitive with the higher powered cars, it only misses out on looong straights, but makes up for that very nicely in the turns.
I just tried the Healey, and I'm pretty slow in it, but I'll enjoy driving it, even down the back of the field.

Hi Stuart,

i would like to participate in tonight's event.
This will be my 1st race at the RD.

I got the track as well as both add on cars installed (using your links)
but I don't know my cars yet!

Thank you

Chris
Welcome Chris,
Don't worry about making your car choices ahead of the event - we just have so we can choose something different to each other to make it more varied.

As long as you choose one of the correct cars from the correct group you'll be fine.

The server is already up, so please make sure you can connect ahead of time so there's no last minute rush.

Kris's link was a good one, you will need that to go online anywhere with GTL, not just here at RD.

See you tonight.

God how I love these Mixed events! Got to experience two new cars as well:)

Race 1: I made a very good car choice and got pole position. Made a decent start and remained 1st. It looked like Ulli demonstrated the Corvettes power in the start, launching brutally off the line to claim 2nd. Was nice to see another Vette in the mirror. I think I might have provided you with a mediocre setup so sorry for that:)

During the race I watched the tire temperatures rise and stay quite high. I was surprised to see how much the rears wore but I made it through to finish first:)

In the second race I chose the Jaguar E-type. I found the car very confusing. It felt really fast at first, could carry much more speed through the corners than I anticipated. But when I started upping the pace it didn't feel that smooth anymore. Im sure it would handle better with a decent setup.

I think I qualified 7th with a swarm of tiny cars surrounding me:) I went a little up and down the scoreboard through the race, mostly because of others mistakes. It was very nice though, driving against both Porsches and Loti

It has come to the point now that I cant remember a bad race in GTL. Every race is brilliant. Well done keeping it that way Stuart and RD:good:

Great track and a great evening :woot2:

Joined the server early not expecting to race the event, just wanted to have a few laps in the Alpine :) Anyway my plans for the evening changed so signed up and I'm so glad I did

Event 1: Alpine A110. Probably my favourite car :) Used my setup from the last round of the RDHGP, Spa, and it just clicked.
Quali: Went with race fuel so I wouldn't forget it for the race, managed a good lap to bag P2 between Knut and Ulli in the Vettes.
Race: The Vettes got off to a screamer, not that the Alpine is slow off the mark, but Ulli and Knut were well in front by T1, but then through the corners the Renault comes into it's own as the American brutes have to all but crawl round the corners. Got up to P2 by lap 3 but then coming round the penultimate corner I got speared into the forest and came out pretty much last. The following laps were entertaining as I managed to get back up the field and closed in on Warren and Stuart. But my over eagerness just got the better of me and while following Warren through the last bend I tapped the back of the car and round Warren went. SO SORRY for that mate. So pretty much at the back again, but with 8 laps to go, time to push again. Had some great racing along the way to the end of the race finally finishing P3, very happy but rueful of the earlier mistakes. Managed to get the fastest lap :) chuffed

Event 2: Lotus Elan. Having vowed never to drive this car again, Warren coaxed me into giving it a try. With his help in the setup and a couple of personal little tweaks, I found it a lot better than my previous outing :wink2:
Quali: Again went out with full tanks just to gain some experience lapping round and round. And it worked because I put in a stonker of a lap to claim my 1st ever POLE in RD:woot2:

Race: Start went pretty well, got jumped by the KERS assisted TVR of Peter's :wink2: but managed to hold on to P2 for the rest of the lap. Had a great few laps harrasing Peter, but while I could catch him on the corners, the TVR just powered off down the main straight. By lap 4-5 Warren and Stuart came and joined the party. I made a bit of hash into the downhill right hander and Warren was through. In fact I made a bit of a balls about 3 times through there luckily catching it most of the time without to much loss of time. Made my move on Warren coming into the heavy braking zone at T1 and I think you gave me just a little too much room as you drifted onto the gravel, anyway cheers. It was now a chase down again of Peter and once or twice I got within striking distance, only to have him speed off on the long drag, but on the penultimate lap we came across a backmarker into T1 who unfortunately made contact with Peter and I streaked through the middle into the lead. Would of been a hell of a last lap, but in the end I was relieved to finish in P1. As a bonus I got the fastest lap again.:rotfl:

Was one of those nights where everything just clicked. I may have found a new favourite in the Elan :wink2:

Cheers guys for 2 fantastic races :good:

God how I love these Mixed events! Got to experience two new cars as well:)

I totally agree, These mixed car events are a lot of fun, especially with this group of guys who are prepared to gamble with different cars rather than everyone just picking the fastest. That always mixes everyone up, and makes for great fun racing.

Race 1: Healey: I have hardly driven this car, but quite liked it, and it is certainly a step up from the Merc. Qualified mid field, and had some top racing with Stuart, Steven, and Kris at various stages. The Vettes obviously had the power and straight line speed, but those Alpines were damned nippy through the sweeping turns. Finished P5, but only due to Ulli running out of fuel on the last lap. Grats to Knut for the win and WD to Stu and Steven for the podium.

Race 2: Porsche 904: First try out of this car, and was most impressed with this mod. The car is very well modelled, and was a nice blend of speed and handling. You could tell it was still a Porsche, but not nearly as nasty as the dreaded 911. I don't think I was driving it to its limits, but it was pretty stable most of the time as I slowly got used to it. Qualified in the middle again, and settled into P3 after Stuart and then Ulli went off. This gave me a good view of the battle out front between Peter's TVR and Steven's Elan. Steven was clearly all over Peter through most of the twisty stuff, but Peter had plenty of grunt down the straight. I even managed to buy into the battle after a few laps, and slipped past Steven when he made a small mistake. I then misjudged the speed difference between the TVR and the Porsche through the turns and tapped Peter off track, very sorry mate. :sorry: Steven soon rounded me up again and was clearly quicker, so I went wide in turn 1 to give him room to pass, only to put a tyre on the verge (deadly in a Porsche), and slide off into the fence. I then had a good race with Knut as we both exchanged small mistakes, but finally held on to finish P3.

Grats to Steven for a good win, and WD to Peter to bring home the difficult TVR in P2.
Thanks to all for another fun outing, and thanks Stu for organising. I still love my GTL events. :clap2:

Unfortunately, the Leaderboards don't pick up the mod cars, so only your & Kris's Healey times are up there, Warren.

You were both much faster in the 904 than you were in the Healey, I'd imagine up in the high 52's to low 1.53's?

Last night was another eventful one for me.

It started when I was fairly late getting to my PC, then turning it on and finding that my oldest son had been using it for homework and I now, for some reason had no (according to Windows) graphics or sound drivers :rage:

I did the graphics first, got the sound drivers on, but didn't have time to get TS working properly, hence my somewhat fractured appearance (I managed to get TS working properly after the event and tested with Steve - thanks matey).

Race1

By the time I got on, it was time to roll to Quali.

I always qualify with my race fuel load in (I'd rather quali a bit lower than forget to put fuel in)
and this time that was probably a good thing, as it was my first real track time. Got a decent lap in and ended about 4th with Knut, Steve & Peter ahead of me. Got a decent start and was dicing with Steve & Peter for 3rd (Knut was gone, and Ulli got a flyer up into 2nd), but in braking late to try and go round the outside of Peter (a bit cheeky, tbh), I went off piste and was last.

So started the drive back, and in a way this was probably the best thing that could have happened, as this way I had a lot of racing ahead of me. The next few laps were an absolute joy, but they were bittersweet because I so nearly picked the Alpine for the previous RDHGP and didn't. Now, as I was throwing in lap after lap at quali speed and carving through the field through the confidence the Alpine gives you, I was kicking myself for going with the Healey. Still, spilt milk and all that.

Along the way I had some good racing with Kris - he & I often found ourselves together in the League, me in a Healey, and he in his Alpine - and now I had the chance to turn the tables and let him know how it feels to be swarmed by a Renault while driving a Healey :D I think it was during this stage that we went past a stranded Steve on the downhill last turn as he mentions, and that put Warren and Peter ahead of me.

Had a memorable dice with Warren & Peter, where I was a lot quicker through some of the turns, but the Healey & the Shelby had enough torque through the various straights to keep me at bay, so it was a real to-and-fro battle. There were a couple of times I had a sniff of Warren's inside line, but couldn't do it safely and so backed off until it was going to be a clean and safe pass. Warren made any attempt at passing the Healey a distinctly unappetising proposition, perfectly legitimately of course, but I finally got past at the inside of the downhill right hander and started off after Peter in the monstrous Shelby.

Freed from the constraints of tracking Warren and anticipating his braking and turns etc. I was able to pull up to Peter relatively quickly, but again it became a battle of to-and-fro with me all over him in the turns until he got the power down, and then him pulling away from me like I was parked :D. The last turn gave me a great run on Peter, where the Alpine is full throttle all the way, and the bigger cars have to come off to make it, and so that was just about enough for me to be close enough to outbrake him into the first corner for P3. As it was all twisty after that turn, I opened up a gap, and set off after Ulli in the Vette. Came upon Ulli with about 3 laps to go, and managed to squeak past into P2 using the Alpine's uncanny ability to stay tight on the inside of turns, where the Vette's weight drifted it wide. After then it was a relatively quiet drive to the end, even though I took about 2-3 sec out of Knut, I suspect that was due to him nursing the Vette home rather than any real blistering pace on my side.

Great and mistake free drive by Knut for the win, and a superb recovery by Steve to complete the podium.

Race2

Chose the Elan, as did a few others including Mr Palmer who had previously expressed no love for the little chap from Norfolk. His laptimes didn't really reflect that antipathy as he broke into the 1.51's during quali. I was more than satisfied getting to within 0.4 with race fuel in to get P2, but I knew that Peter & Warren in the brutally fast TVR & deceptively capable 904 were just behind.

Got a decent start, good enough for Peter (who harnessed all that torque beautifully), Steve & me to be pretty much nose to tail for the next couple of laps. I got an amazing run on Steve out of the last corner and into the straight, but the extra speed I was carrying meant that I went straight on in the braking zone for T1, and once again I was P Last :D.

Got up to to 6th behind Steve & Peter in P1 & 2 (whose battle just going by the times on XD looked epic), and Warren & Knut in P3 & 4, but going into the right hander up onto the mountain, I was side-by-side with Ulli who I was battling with for P5. I got the inside line, a better run and a half car overlap, but Ulli kept on contesting the corner, and then something happened which caused Ulli to go off. I don't think it was contact as I felt nothing, if it was I don't think it was my fault, but I decided to wait for him anyway just to be on the safe side. I'll check the replay to make sure. That pretty much ended my chances of catching Warren & Knut so the rest of the race was pretty quiet, I took a few seconds out of them, but they were still 15 & 16 secs ahead come race end.

All in all, a very enjoyable evening, cementing my love for the smaller, lighter cars - it seemed like everyone enjoyed the races. I'll do a few more split field events so we have multi cars on track, but keep the closer matched cars together. We'll have a TC65 event next Thursday, and I'll add in a mod car or two to bulk up the field.

Assuming you're all up for that of course... :D

I chose really hard cars for this evening. To be honest I don't like them and I don't know how to drive with that cars. They were really slow in the corners in my hand, but I tried to compensate it in the long straights. I had one aim: close the line in the corners and not to loose the control. I hope I managed to do this fairly. So it was a hard-working night for me.

Warren, don't worry about that hit, you pushed really good. Grats to Steven for the great laptimes. And thanks for the patience to all of you, who wanted to overtake me! I know it is a very exasperating situation when you faster, but no room in corners and no chance in the straights to overtake.

So, it was a really good evening. Thanks guys, Stuart and RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back