GTC-76 Porsche 914-6 Saponaro / Saponaro Reverse - Thu 24th January

flyergtc76.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: GTC76 Porshce 914-6 + Liveries ( Download )
Track: Autodromo Saponaro V1.0 (Download)

See Main Forum for Official Race Time Clock
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 ( 11 laps )
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 21.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 21.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 21.30 ( 11 laps )

Note 1: Race 1 - Saponaro // Race2 - Saponaro Reverse
Note 2: We are using the SIMBIN lobby for this event. See here how to switch lobby

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Rupe Wilson #368
  2. Stuart Thomson #385
  3. Hans Sneep #383
  4. Jack Smith #373
  5. Paul Barrass #372
  6. Guus Verver #369
  7. Roland Warmenhoven#384
  8. Jacob Boonstra#382
  9. Caramidaru Andrei Bogdan
  10. Bob Hutchins
  11. Dave Dean
  12. Rene van Zijp
  13. Knut Omdal Tveito
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:

This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Just keep racing Rene. When I started, I was 10 seconds slower too, now I'm faster. Try a bit of reading too.
This is pretty good: http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/misc/Racelogic-ebook-advanced-circuit-driving.pdf
This is another interesting read, with some help with driving manners: http://wiki.grandprixlegends.info/index.php?title=GPL_Recommended_Driver_Behaviour

Don't give up, join practice sessions too. Even AI can be useful, just start on a low skill level, though you need to turn the driving aids off manually.

These Cars are tough to drive, But running up the kerbs in corners will also unbalance the car and cause it to spin, These cars also have a point were they spin and it very hard to recover from..
i had this happen in the first race i turned in and whilst trying to correct my turn i found the back end coming round on me.. there went my 10 second lead... :(

Have to agree - while the 914's are a hoot to drive, they do get unbalanced easily on raised kerbs and bumps - and Saponaro has surfeit of both.

The mid engined layout of the 914 means that the car is stable until the limit, but once it starts to go, it goes very quickly. There isn't much inertia you can steer against or use to control it.

All in all, this was a very, very tricky combination, so no-one should get too down if they found it difficult. We all did - I won the 2nd race relatively easily and I nearly stuck it in the wall more than a couple of times, even while taking it easy.

Practice makes you better Rolly, join R2
LOL Thanks for the encouragements Carlos:) . I know these cars are tricky ones to drive, but that's not the problem.
A few weeks ago I had a nasty physical breakdown, recovery will take a while and a serious lifestyle change (read: face the fact I'm not 20yo anymore and need more sleep now. A lot more.:sleep::sleep::sleep: )
Eager to come back to racing at RD, I felt confident I was up for a nights clubracing already. But while both P1 and Q1 went well, I was just too tired to stay focused in R1:( .
So after several crashes I reluctantly did the sensible thing and went to bed.

Fear not, I WILL be back. Just need to take it slow for a while.

It was definitely a tough race. This is such a challenging car for me and it was really hard to keep it pointing in the right direction, especially once the tyres started giving up.

I was racing mostly with Hans in both races. On one lap I had a good run out of the last banked corner and tried to go on the outside of Hans. But ended up making contact with Hans, then snapped into the left-hand armco and spinning right across the track and reversed into the pit! Quite a spectacle:D Hans waited up for me but it was actually all my fault. Sorry for that Hans. But the rest of Race1 and the second race was good. Trying to keep up and not make too many mistakes was hard work! Nice racing and well done Hans.

Nice but strange race evening, for me that was :cool:

R1, not a good Q but not they only one start on p10,lost one place at the start on Bob but the race was more a way of survival then head on tail fights, after 3 laps was on p6 with Knut close on me an passing me on the banking I now Knut was faster then me so give him room an stay under but when we game out of the banking knut hit my tail an went off spectacular you should see the replay:ninja: making a 360 or more going backwards in to the pitlane turning the car an on the limiter out again,I was waiting on the strait but Knut give me a Go so lost 2 places P8 an Knut P9 all that after 4 laps.Than it was Barros who lost the car an Knut closing fast again let him by on the strait, the Knut lost it after the narrow R- hander.
Bob out of reach 3/4 of the race now, then Bob go off in T1 back on P5 now,not fore long making my first mistake an Knut going by 2 laps to go! on the finish line Gentleman Knut was waiting on me an let me fin on p5:) Thanks Knut !!
Grats to Andrei - Rupe an Jack !!

R2, Q on p8 an lost 2 places at the start after T1 an T2 4 guys of so p6 after 1 lap again with Knut on my tail an Jack an Andrei in front,lap 2 Andrei off an than Jack p4 now...
Halve way race Guus lost the car in the corners before the downhill an was on p3:unsure:??
After one lap on p3 Sh.t happen go off in the same corner as Guus (nerves..) lost 2 places
Knut an Bob go by,one lap later found Knut close in front having a moment an going off in the esses back on p4 with 2 laps to go,did not notice that Rupe was closing fast an I take the last lap easy,so on the strait to the line Rupe past me an fin.on p5 ! again:)

Grats Stuart for the win,thanks all for Racing!!

An if it was not clear in my story, Having a great time racing tonight !

OK lets do 1 lap than on the Reverse layout (the nicest !)
Blasting down the straight passing fin-line an back to 4th gear in to the banking powering up to 5th gear bounce1 bounce 2 back to 4th gear first right hander back to 3t gear left- right-left back to 2 then up to 3 left down the hill 4 an back to 2 for the narrow left hander powering uphill 3-4 back to 3-2 left - right up to 3 down the hill 4- 5 an braking fore the left hander after a bounce,easy through the corner because there is a fence waiting to split the car in two an than the power down to the line.... (1.57.5xx my fastest time ):laugh:

Roland I was very tired after race 1 because it was a demanding event and it was physically challenging and I had quessed your demise. Get rested up and return when ready.;)

As for Race 1 things went pretty well for me and I held on for a third place......but it has created a small problem....where do I put all these podiums I got laying around the house now?:D
Near the last few laps I could see Jacob growing larger in the rear mirror. He was closing at an unreasonable rate but I said that I was not going to push it and crash out so I slowed just a tiny, tiny bit to make sure of the driving line. I gambled/calculated mentally that I had enough gap to hold on....... and I was correct except Jacob closed quicker than I anticipated. So that challenge made the race very exciting but demanding...... full of sweat at it's completion.

As for Race 2, it started great but ended not so good. Had a good start and made it through the trouble in corner 1 with tight drive with Jacob. I made it in good shape for the first set of twisty parts and lost focus...came in too hot...which I knew about but just blew it;). I did a skid into the wall and developed steering/control problems. I decided to stay in the race and see if I could finish..which I did, but I was very nervous when any drivers were close because the car was a little more unpredictable than normal. On the long straights it would sway back and forth a bit and turning was like a box of chocolates...you never knew what you were going to get. I was watching Hans in XD but I could not close the gap on him.
Plan B success..finished.
Good clean, sensible driving by me..I mean by those around me.

Great event Rupe. Cheers to all.

Just keep racing Rene. When I started, I was 10 seconds slower too, now I'm faster. Try a bit of reading too.
This is pretty good: http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_downloads/misc/Racelogic-ebook-advanced-circuit-driving.pdf
This is another interesting read, with some help with driving manners: http://wiki.grandprixlegends.info/index.php?title=GPL_Recommended_Driver_Behaviour

Don't give up, join practice sessions too. Even AI can be useful, just start on a low skill level, though you need to turn the driving aids off manually.
Did / do you stick to one mod/game? I practically own them all, but maybe it is beter to stick to one game or mod or car? I do not use driving aids, except automatic clinch. I practice à lot but find it hard to improve myself.

To be honest Rene, I mostly race GTL, though I have just joined the Mini Friday in the Race07 club. Practice is very useful, but I much prefer to race against people rather than the AI, as the AI is too slow/insanely fast while being stupid. I also find I'm faster when chasing someone :rolleyes:.
If you can, try and join the practice runs that some people do on Monday & Wednesday, and join TS too. You'll get some advice. Jack is a good example of someone who was 10 secondss a lap slower, and now races at the front of the pack :thumbsup:, and that's a lot of how he improved.

Hello, Well for me i jump around trying out all sim's, as you will have seen me in the race07 mini's.
And i will also be having fun in the new retro events on a Saturday night in race 07..(starting soon):)
It took me about half a year to get up to speed in gtl is so different to all the other sims,
you have to drive the cars a little different also, But i do find it the most rewarding out of all the sims ive raced, this is also down to the group of racers we have,, In race 07 its all a bit aggressive for me at times.. its a win win win at all cast atmosphere and sometimes its the racing comes second..
were in gtl is more about the racing and having fun, it doesn't matter if your at the back of the pack or at the front ..
I used to panic if the car started to slide and tense up which usually made me crash now i just let it flow and ride the slide using my throttle more than the wheel. Its hard to explain but you cant be over aggressive with the controls just be light on the wheel and pedals and it will all come together.
We often practice the night before the club race.. But it is a time factor getting used to the car and track. i still crash allot. but i only race at about 90% (most of the time):whistling:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 13 6.2%