AC GT3 @ Watkins Glen - Sunday 10th May 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
I nearly ploughed right into the back of you off the line!
One of many survival swerves early on! I actually anticipated the early mid field richochets this week. Big shout out the @Michel vL for being on the ball and getting us both through the gap on the back straight.

Thank you for the compliment @Interslice , the first few laps were quite good.
The rest of the race was pretty difficult, mainly due to mistakes of my own.
Apologies for whoever I startled when re-entering the track after a spin in the chicane. I though everybody passed, but somebody was (rightly so) shouting on the radio.

My race was over 5 mins before the finish when I spun again and ended up with my nose against the wall. Wouldn't want to risk to hit anybody while reversing so I decided to exit the race.

as always a well deserved thank you for @Chris Down for organizing the event.

I saw your post about RHM and I also installed it just before the race. It feels good because in turns you get a better view on the apex which was very nice on Watkins. I didn't improve on race pace but maybe I should get more used to it. A drawback of RHM is when you have fast steering actions like correcting to prevent a spin, the screen is then moving very fast and that's makes it hard to gain control.
Very true Han, but from the little I've seen of it so far I'm going to work on it some more. I found a thread on the AC forum where some are sharing their settings - only had a quick read but some talk about this problem and seem happy with it, will be trying a few out! https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/rhm-or-look-to-apex.49650/

I first tried it yesterday with the BMW @ Silverstone (for this Weds event), maybe it's just the right combo of a well handling car and being able to really smash the apex thru better vision, but I took a full second from my pb :O_o: However, with the 650S I find it's always on the edge of grip (my crap driving!), and that's where the strange feeling comes in re correcting a slide - at that point it doesn't feel natural, although I could manage the same lap times as without it. One thing I was truly shocked with is how much later I'm braking with it, possibly due to seeing the apex earlier than I'm used to?

If I find anything to help with that I'll let you know:)

Thank you for the compliment @Interslice , the first few laps were quite good.
@Chris Down for organizing the event.

We had a good z4 convoy going early on :)

Very true Han, but from the little I've seen of it so far I'm going to work on it some more. I found a thread on the AC forum where some are sharing their settings - only had a quick read but some talk about this problem and seem happy with it, will be trying a few out! https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/rhm-or-look-to-apex.49650/

I first tried it yesterday with the BMW @ Silverstone (for this Weds event), maybe it's just the right combo of a well handling car and being able to really smash the apex thru better vision, but I took a full second from my pb :O_o: However, with the 650S I find it's always on the edge of grip (my crap driving!), and that's where the strange feeling comes in re correcting a slide - at that point it doesn't feel natural, although I could manage the same lap times as without it. One thing I was truly shocked with is how much later I'm braking with it, possibly due to seeing the apex earlier than I'm used to?

If I find anything to help with that I'll let you know:)

I might give this a go aswell. That slide situation sounds dodgy though. I'm only just getting used to what the ffb is trying to tell me so i can catch a slide.
Just thinking about real life... Remember that!? I think naturally you would look away from the apex and straight up the road or back at the outside kerb as the back starts to slide? To avoid point fixation and such.

Time to mix it up a little. We'd love to have you join us this week for GT3 at Cathedral Rock! :inlove:

We had a good z4 convoy going early on :)

I might give this a go aswell. That slide situation sounds dodgy though. I'm only just getting used to what the ffb is trying to tell me so i can catch a slide.
Just thinking about real life... Remember that!? I think naturally you would look away from the apex and straight up the road or back at the outside kerb as the back starts to slide? To avoid point fixation and such.
Exactly the problem Brian - but have found some posts (linky in previous post) where they use it for drifting, so I'm hopeful of finding an answer. Yesterday's play with it was a revelation in really hitting apexes consistently.

Sadly not Patrick. the clip fell apart and the internal connecting wires had come away - concept of it is perfect for me though (can't use vr), so will def revisit that in the future. Edit: I'd only need the new clip 'cos the camera is fine :thumbsup:

I don't know if you kept the clip part, or if it has any salvageable parts, but there are a few head tracking diy tutorials on youtube.

Well if that wasn't the second most heated race I've had here on RD, right after Imola where @Chris Down was up my *** in P2 for a whole hour :roflmao:. Congrats to @Chris Down for pulling off the legendary strategy and keeping it together for the win as well to @Peppinho for completing the podium! Idk how you guys made the softs work on this track at this temperature, but I guess that's a mystery I'll never solve (mine run great at 14C though! :D)...

Had a great first two laps after a disappointing qualy, went up to second, and if it weren't for Giuseppe's misfortunes would have ended up third... Then again, you never know in these races, even when hope seems lost you just have to keep digging anyway :whistling:

Nice racing with y'all for another week! As always, I look forwards to playing musical chairs again with the mates in front at another circuit next Sunday.

Also, out of context, but if any of you play rFactor 2 please dm me, I'm having serious problems with setting up my plugins :O_o:

I saw your post about RHM and I also installed it just before the race. It feels good because in turns you get a better view on the apex which was very nice on Watkins. I didn't improve on race pace but maybe I should get more used to it. A drawback of RHM is when you have fast steering actions like correcting to prevent a spin, the screen is then moving very fast and that's makes it hard to gain control.
Okey dokey Han, I used RHM again tonight with these settings:
1st play rhm.JPG

It felt OK, even with a small slide, but once it got really sideways it felt a bit off, so still needs work. 1st impression was.... it felt horrible :laugh: , then within a few laps (despite it needing more tuning) I was wondering if I could go back to normal.

Okey dokey Han, I used RHM again tonight with these settings:
View attachment 371739

It felt OK, even with a small slide, but once it got really sideways it felt a bit off, so still needs work. 1st impression was.... it felt horrible :laugh: , then within a few laps (despite it needing more tuning) I was wondering if I could go back to normal.
Thanks John!
I tried to use RHM with the steering wheel bind for looking into the turns (Look Options) which went very well in the GT3 race on Sunday but this Capri need a lot of steering corrections and then the steering wheel usage becomes unuseful imho. So I decided not to use RHM yesterday but I will give it a try with your settings and without binding the steering wheel in practice for our event on Wednesday.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back