AC GT3 @ Okayama - Sunday 26th July 2020

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
It was great to be back with 'the crew' after missing so many races.

I am still slow AF, but consistently so! I have to get over the 911 and move on to something easier to drive quickly. I appreciate all the 'thanks' for when I make sure I do no impede faster traffic -- great crew!

Hope to catch you all next week!

Cheers,
Dominic

I was just thinking to myself that I had got good start, no one hit, no one hitting me. This is a good place to run this race. Then a spin right in front of me , bang, and that was that. Teach me to get all smug.:rolleyes:
But I had a great race, quite a battle with many people, and some took more of my time. @Interslice , @Raresch , @HF2000 ( will need to see the replay for all the others )
@neesve kept handing the next place to me on a plate for about 3 laps from the end. Every one of them completely went over my head. By the time I woke up the advantage had gone each time.:rolleyes:
@Interslice and I had a great battle with Brian’s pace changing from I cannot catch you to I can catch you through out what seemed like the whole race; And an overtake that will stick in my mind for ages.:)
Congrats to the podium and especially Chris pace and his organisation, being caught and overtaken was an honour ( does that sound a bit creepy ):laugh::laugh::laugh:

PS just remembered could not shake @Neilski off , kept reappearing in my mirrors, I think he did a splash and dash, I did a spin after exiting the pits ( typical lift of oversteer from the McLaren ) and that was the last I saw of Neil.

It was good battling with you ernie! I really took to this track in the gte race so had a decent race overall despite the minimal prep again this week. Way too much fuel and tyre pressures a touch high again had me with a heavy fuel load when the tyres started to go as per Chang.

It was great to be in the mix on this track again. There has been some great combos and tight racing the last few weeks.

Thanks to chris for organising. See yous on the next one!

Ah, fair enough.
I do know that a bunch of of the UI curves are wrong but that CM apparently recalculates them from the physics files. Here's the curve I snipped from the game (3 years ago now!) - does anyone with CM see a different curve?

View attachment 392689

Oh to be clear, I'm not saying the curve is necessarily wrong, just that it's misleading because most of the time you simply can't put that much power down when cornering. As such, even if you do go into a gear with higher RPM, you won't be able to use it :)

it seems I can't do 2 races in one night :)) I've focused too much on the Romanian competition and I've had 0 pace on Okayama. Nice track thou, if you get the rhythm going.
So, if you want me to race with you more in the following weeks, I really need to learn how to drive that BMW M3 GT2 to go in the PRO league and move to the Monday slot :)) It was better this week after all your recommendations from 2 weeks ago.

Also, I would really like to apologize for the incident I've created in 2nd to last corner. I've wanted to let people pass, lost control of the vehicle and then tried to get as much out of the racing line as possible and still managed to block somebody. I am really sorry :(

Great and intense race, really enjoyed it and quite happy with my result :) Thanks for hosting, Chris! :thumbsup:

@Luca Badin yeah man, your undercut worked pretty well, at this moment I was thinking "hmm. His undercut will not work, never!". Then after my pitstop, seeing you in front of me "Oh.". :roflmao::thumbsup:
I was fighting (and sweating) to catch you, but made a quite bad mistake (the only one in that race, I think) at the fastest point of the track :whistling:
And then, about 15 minutes before end of the race, my bullsh*t headset just turned himself off and I couldn't do anything, just took it off while being on a straight, so.. yeah, 15 minutes without any sounds, only me and the annoying noises of my sim rig :cautious::O_o::poop: was a bit slower then, I think.

I'm also very happy to leave into my "summer break" with such a positive race - I've decided to take a break from simracing for the next months and to concentrate on my new "old" hobby, mountainbiking :) I just don't have enough time for both hobbies, so yeah.. But I will come back in winter time for sure, so it's just a temporary Goodbye :p
Was thinking about selling my gear, until I saw the current prices and pre order times at the Fanatec store :confused: So will keep all my stuff, but will need a new headset :roflmao:

So stay safe and healthy guys, and see ya in Winter :cool:

Great and intense race, really enjoyed it and quite happy with my result :) Thanks for hosting, Chris! :thumbsup:

@Luca Badin yeah man, your undercut worked pretty well, at this moment I was thinking "hmm. His undercut will not work, never!". Then after my pitstop, seeing you in front of me "Oh.". :roflmao::thumbsup:
I was fighting (and sweating) to catch you, but made a quite bad mistake (the only one in that race, I think) at the fastest point of the track :whistling:
And then, about 15 minutes before end of the race, my bullsh*t headset just turned himself off and I couldn't do anything, just took it off while being on a straight, so.. yeah, 15 minutes without any sounds, only me and the annoying noises of my sim rig :cautious::O_o::poop: was a bit slower then, I think.

I'm also very happy to leave into my "summer break" with such a positive race - I've decided to take a break from simracing for the next months and to concentrate on my new "old" hobby, mountainbiking :) I just don't have enough time for both hobbies, so yeah.. But I will come back in winter time for sure, so it's just a temporary Goodbye :p
Was thinking about selling my gear, until I saw the current prices and pre order times at the Fanatec store :confused: So will keep all my stuff, but will need a new headset :roflmao:

We'll miss you for sure, but see you again in the winter!

I was out on the mountain bike yesterday before the race :whistling:. Every weekend its mountain biking then race, not always on the same day thankfully but when it is its a tiring day.

But sure what else would you rather be doing!

Thanks everyone for coming out this week! I had a great time and I hope you did too. We'd love to see you back next week at the Red Bull Ring! :inlove:

Oh to be clear, I'm not saying the curve is necessarily wrong, just that it's misleading because most of the time you simply can't put that much power down when cornering. As such, even if you do go into a gear with higher RPM, you won't be able to use it :)
For sure, you can't use the power right on the exit, but that straight at Okayama is loooong. I use 5 gears on it (in the 911), you use 3. Feels like (finger in the air alert! :whistling:) your average power ought to be down by 10%+ relative to an optimal gearing (if the box even permits that)...
If I get a moment or 10, I'll test it :D

For sure, you can't use the power right on the exit, but that straight at Okayama is loooong. I use 5 gears on it (in the 911), you use 3. Feels like (finger in the air alert! :whistling:) your average power ought to be down by 10%+ relative to an optimal gearing (if the box even permits that)...
If I get a moment or 10, I'll test it :D

Hmm, I'd be surprised if it's that much, but if you're right I'll definitely look at my gearing more closely :p

On my CM the recalculated curve looks like this:

mc.png

If we ignore the corner since you can't put max power there anyway, the shift points on the back straight are:

- 3rd -> 4th: 7350 -> 5700
- 4th -> 5th: 7350 -> 6150

Let's say 7350 -> 5900 to average it out. That's a difference of 1450rpm.

If we add another gear, we should be able to take 1/3 of that off the bottom, so let's say it's 1450rpm / 3 = 483rpm greater at the low end of the gear on the straight, 500 to be even. That means the start moves from 5900 to 6400.

However, at that kind of rpm (5900 to 6400) and up, we're already experiencing really diminished returns in terms of BHP as the turbo goes away, so the difference looks like almost nothing to me, especially when traded off against more stability in the corner and the fact that there's another small period without power due to the extra shift.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Hmm, I'd be surprised if it's that much, but if you're right I'll definitely look at my gearing more closely :p

View attachment 392942

If we ignore the corner since you can't put max power there anyway, the shift points on the back straight are:

If we add another gear, we should be able to take 1/3 of that off the bottom, so let's say it's 1450rpm / 3 = 483rpm greater at the low end of the gear on the straight, 500 to be even. That means the start moves from 5900 to 6400.

However, at that kind of rpm (5900 to 6400) and up, we're already experiencing really diminished returns in terms of BHP as the turbo goes away, so the difference looks like almost nothing to me, especially when traded off against more stability in the corner and the fact that there's another small period without power due to the extra shift.

wait, what, CM can recalculate torque curves? How? Why? How do I read those? Are they better with recalculated value? that CHANGES A LOT OF THINGS.

View attachment 392942

I think your lap times speak for themselves;)

View attachment 392942

Well, I was thinking of adding 2 gears rather than 1 :p but nope, the whole thing is totally moot because that power curve has so little resemblance to the (clearly bullshit) one in the UI file! LOL.
If you compare the power at 5700 to the peak of the curve on my pic and then do the same on your pic, it's night and day. About a 20% drop on my curve, vs. more like 10% on yours. So yeah, not much to be be gained at all... maybe not even enough to break even.
(Rant: why in hell are some of the AC power curves so shockingly wrong??)

A late response

That is my main gripe with AC, you can theorises as much as you want, in the end the software does the bidding.
That leaves you having to hope your real world ideas match the AC software.
I think up to a point it does, would be nice to have some clarification on what has a 100% meaning and what does not.
Example, tweaking toe from 0.1 to 0.2 and it does bugger all. It would certainly save me a lot of effort in trundling around and around the circuit
:(

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea