AC GT3 @ Donington Park, Sunday 28th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Han is it fair to say that you can generally straddle the curbs: alla two wheels on track and two way over the curbs (at any track)?

I saw in last years video posted here and assumed you could cut the chicane then I saw nobody was doing it in the race and then some were. So as a result I was undecided.
Two wheels must be inside or on the white lines.

The rest depends on the kerbs and how wide the car is.

The issue with assetto corsa is that the cut detection doesn't work with spline analysis but instead via "tyres touching surfaces" analysis.

A few years ago I created some "no cut" layouts for the tatuus club races.
I changed the surface.ini, which isn't encrypted so it's kinda legal to do so, to make all kerbs: isTrack=0 instead of 1.

This worked pretty well, apart from everyone having to download new layouts for each race..

The massive problems with this though: if your tyres inside of the white line jump due to vibration from keebs, it will give a false positive.

Barcelona and brands hatch suffered from this and depending on the car, other tracks too..

So the idea got abandoned.

There's also "kiss my rank" which is a massive tool. But you have to drive the track limits manually, slowly.. Record it like an AI line.

It does actual spline analysis via car width+length and the center of a car.
Needs to run on the server and after spending 10 hours with it and just barely getting it configured to work, it was abandoned too.

So in summary: ac cut detection sucks. Penalty system sucks.
We have to manually report "cutters" so the race hosts can give them warnings.

So don't feel bad when calling out people (to Chris via pm, not in public). It's needed.
If I cut too much, please report me so know about it, can watch the replay and adjust myself!

Two wheels must be inside or on the white lines.

The rest depends on the kerbs and how wide the car is.

The issue with assetto corsa is that the cut detection doesn't work with spline analysis but instead via "tyres touching surfaces" analysis.

A few years ago I created some "no cut" layouts for the tatuus club races.
I changed the surface.ini, which isn't encrypted so it's kinda legal to do so, to make all kerbs: isTrack=0 instead of 1.

This worked pretty well, apart from everyone having to download new layouts for each race..

The massive problems with this though: if your tyres inside of the white line jump due to vibration from keebs, it will give a false positive.

Barcelona and brands hatch suffered from this and depending on the car, other tracks too..

So the idea got abandoned.

There's also "kiss my rank" which is a massive tool. But you have to drive the track limits manually, slowly.. Record it like an AI line.

It does actual spline analysis via car width+length and the center of a car.
Needs to run on the server and after spending 10 hours with it and just barely getting it configured to work, it was abandoned too.

So in summary: ac cut detection sucks. Penalty system sucks.
We have to manually report "cutters" so the race hosts can give them warnings.

So don't feel bad when calling out people (to Chris via pm, not in public). It's needed.
If I cut too much, please report me so know about it, can watch the replay and adjust myself!
Thank you very much for clearing that up Raz and for the comment at the end - I will keep two wheels strictly astride from now on. I see that the lamentology about our beloved AC continues hey ?? :p :roflmao: you perfectionist you ...

PS I was thinking : might it not be worth it asking/helping Ilya to do something about rules and stuff in the CSP patch ?

Last edited:
Well that sucked. Qualified 13th (well done @UHF79 pipping me to 12th) which I was pleased with. Had a good start missing the spinners and up into 9th / 10th with reasonable pace then boom AC crashes and I'm out. Rejoined in 20th and figured I'd use the session as practice after a simulated mechanical failure and again had reasonable pace running around @SOLO59 and others and the game crashes and i'm out. Time to call it a night.

I've changed a few things since I last raced, I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on most likely cause. I've added a second graphics card for crypto mining which means the primary GPU doesn't have as much space. I've also set up my sim rig in the next room on a decent quality 10m USB and 10M DisplayPort cable.

I suppose I'll have to drag the wheel over to the primary monitor and unplug the long cables to eliminate that then try taking the second GPU out. What a pain, why can't these things just work! :(

The length of the displayport cable would be relevant to what resolution you are running and refresh rate. From my experience it either works or it doesn't.

The mining on the 2nd GPU is more likely your problem. Whilst mining has very limited impact on the system outside of the GPU, the mining software itself could hang or cause instability issues that will affect the system overall. When you say your GPU doesn't have space do you mean in the case? Cooling is your biggest problem with mining so airflow is important. Some GPUs throttle performance (mem junction temps on 3000 series cards for example slow them down), some AMD from my experience will crash out completely.

Check your temperatures, you could take your second GPU out of the case and put it on top or something with a PCIe x1 riser on a USB 3.0 cable.

Check your power supply, don't know what video cards you are running and how you have tuned them for mining but PSU problems are a common cause. You don't really want to run over 80% of the PSUs capability for long durations of time.

My advice is buy a cheap cpu/mb/ram combo and mine on that. I have a 3000 series Nvidia card on a 12 year old intel CPU and MB.

Regarding the chicane topic.

When I watched the replay I was a bit baffled of how many times I was outside the limits but then I realized, I'm not the only one. By now I raced a fair amount of circuits in my time at RD and this chicane is the only one I knew which causes track violations in such a dimension. It is an old topic that has been discussed many times, but so far it has always been around turns which could be driven within the boundary without major problems. Of course you can do that here to, but you'll loose a lot of time compared to other discussed corners. So what to do, adapt the rule for this chicane and set the curbs as boundary or stick with it and do massive reporting next time :/

Last edited:
Han is it fair to say that you can generally straddle the curbs: alla two wheels on track and two way over the curbs (at any track)?

I saw in last years video posted here and assumed you could cut the chicane then I saw nobody was doing it in the race and then some were. So as a result I was undecided.
Hi Jack,

Yes you can, because you keep two tyres within the limits and that's what Chris asks us to do in his usually talk. That's the way I always wanted to go through this chicane but as I explained above, it's hard to do it right and fast so I went a couple of times with 4 tyres over the track limit. The lap time doesn't count then but that's only a problem in qualify.

Now, regarding cutting the chicane, I was looking at the reply and I was stunned by the amount of times I've cut the entry ... and most of the time the exit also.
And now I wonder, how am I supposed to know that, if I don't get the cut and the digits doesn't turn red? Not everyone has the time to analyse the reply to see where you loose time or not and see how much you've cut. From cockpit view didn't seem so much ...
Still, maybe in the future we should be warned about the critical points of that particular track, @Chris Down?

I know I've driven years here, and I should have know the chicane at Donington is a problem. Maybe it's good I was last after half a lap :notworthy:

I have a tendency to archive my races, and I've had a look through the last RD gt3 race @ Donington. Unsurprisingly, the majority of drivers cut the chicane. Here is an example of my last race here:
Assetto Corsa Screenshot 2021.03.01 - 00.43.46.98.jpg

It seems to be almost 'custom & practice' - so long as someone doesn't take the proverbial. I don't think there is any need for recriminations.

As my name has been dragged in to this, I thought I'd post the sector 3 times for this race:
2021-03-01_11-07-18.jpg

Last edited:
Regarding the chicane topic.

When I watched the replay I was a bit baffled of how many times I was outside the limits but then I realized, I'm not the only one. By now I raced a fair amount of circuits in my time at RD and this chicane is the only one I knew which causes track violations in such a dimension. It is an old topic that has been discussed many times, but so far it has always been around turns which could be driven within the boundary without major problems. Of course you can do that here to, but you'll loose a lot of time compared to other discussed corners. So what to do, adapt the rule for this chicane and set the curbs as boundary or stick with it and do massive reporting next time :/

A simple solution is to just run the national course. I done my best to make the chicane every time but you do get others who treat it as more of a 'kink'. You really have to push it to the limit of the white lines, and have a solid sector 2, not to be under massive pressure into the right hander.

Any thoughts on rerunning this race next week? It's a great track and there were some regulars missing too.
I prefer not because we've now setup the Wednesday event as a training/learning event for the Sunday race. Maybe Chris can schedule it for next month again. I think Donington is also great for a MX5Cup event in which we can 'train the chicane' :roflmao: .

I have a tendency to archive my races, and I've had a look through the last RD gt3 race @ Donington. Unsurprisingly, the majority of drivers cut the chicane. Here is an example of my last race here:View attachment 449986

It seems to be almost 'custom & practice' - so long as someone doesn't take the proverbial. I don't think there is any need for recriminations.

As my name has been dragged in to this, I thought I'd post the sector 3 times for this race:
View attachment 449988

If ever a sausage kerb was needed! There is on the national version. I suppose in real life it would be very dangerous to have one there.

@pattikins do you have a simresults link?

Last edited:
Hi Jack,

Yes you can, because you keep two tyres within the limits and that's what Chris asks us to do in his usually talk. That's the way I always wanted to go through this chicane but as I explained above, it's hard to do it right and fast so I went a couple of times with 4 tyres over the track limit. The lap time doesn't count then but that's only a problem in qualify.
Thanks a lot Han - I'll be careful to straddle: the clarity helps because it trains you to do it that way, regardless of disadvantage or what others are doing.

A simple solution is to just run the national course. I done my best to make the chicane every time but you do get others who treat it as more of a 'kink'. You really have to push it to the limit of the white lines, and have a solid sector 2, not to be under massive pressure into the right hander.
Or drivers who straight line the chicane onto Curva Grande at Monza.
I wonder if the ingame penalty might tidy up driving. We cant have 100% damage for penalising the innocent smashee, but maybe the slowing down penalty might be worth considering for a trail.

I have a tendency to archive my races, and I've had a look through the last RD gt3 race @ Donington. Unsurprisingly, the majority of drivers cut the chicane. Here is an example of my last race here:View attachment 449986

View attachment 449988
Well in the lap with the best sector 3 times I didn't cross the chicane track limits. I totally skipped it :p :roflmao: .

What happened?
I was at the turn in for the chicane when 'he shouldn't be named' hit me at full speed in the flank and I ended in the sand at the last hairpin at the beginning of the start/finish straight. I continued from there but AC doesn't count that as cutting the track:D!

BTW: Is Cunsolo italian for 'Torpedo'?

It is a an idea - but you know I think once the rules are clear it is not such a big deal, at least for me : in the beginning when I saw that chicane I thought is was a gift - just a part of the straight but then I realised later that cutting was very risky and if you didn't cut then you needed a good rotation leftwards and opposite lock on the exit for a quick passage - all in all it is the difficulty of these tracks that makes it so great to compete with everyone.

Well in the lap with the best sector 3 times I didn't cross the chicane track limits. I totally skipped it :p :roflmao: .

What happened?
I was at the turn in for the chicane when 'he shouldn't be named' hit me at full speed in the flank and I ended in the sand at the last hairpin at the beginning of the start/finish straight. I continued from there but AC doesn't count that as cutting the track:D!

BTW: Is Cunsolo italian for 'Torpedo'?
Christ I just realised who "he shouldn't be named" is ... I thought people were talking about me ! :roflmao:

I think he took me out as well at hairpin 1 and I actually apologised to him for it ....thinking it was me !!

Nooo the Italian for torpedo is a stylish "siluro" :roflmao: close however ...

Last edited:
Or drivers who straight line the chicane onto Curva Grande at Monza.
I wonder if the ingame penalty might tidy up driving. We cant have 100% damage for penalising the innocent smashee, but maybe the slowing down penalty might be worth considering for a trail.
This might be an area where CSP could be modded to help?

Christ I just realised who "he shouldn't be named" is ... I thought people were talking about me ! :roflmao:

I think he took me out as well at hairpin 1 and I actually apologised to him for it ....thinking it was me !!

Nooo the Italian for torpedo is a stylish "siluro" :roflmao:
Jack,

I wanted to ask how come you don't have an Italian name but then I realised mine isn't Dutch too. It's Italian :roflmao: !

View attachment 449988
Noooooooo I was fastest in S3 :D . After work I'll have another look at the replay...

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.