AC GT3 @ Donington Park, Sunday 28th February 2021

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
You mean that the cutting is not detected?
Well the app can't do anything about AC detecting cuts. It only applies penalties IF AC detects a cut.

So you can tell the drivers "we will be using the game's penalties and cut detections. Fair for everyone".

As I explained earlier, AC uses a "touching surface" cut detection and 99% of all tracks set kerbs-surfaces to "isTrack=1".
In your video, the car always has 2 wheels on the kerbs, which is "legal", when you set AC to "allowed tyres out =2".

But at least it's fair for everyone and you can't go completely through the chicane!

From what I can glean from the video, it only informs the driver that they've been disqualified. There is no black flag nor does it seem to impact on the final result. That's my take and why I was asking John.

Not sure what you're getting @ with the rest of what you have to say!

edit: oops I didn't see that you'd replied John.

Edit II:
I've already shown a picture of a couple of respected clean drivers cutting the chicane. Just to show that this has been the norm, here is a video taken from a RD club in 2019, followed by my cut in yesterday's race.

Both well known & respected drivers - 2019

Nobody complained in 2019 about chicane cutting, nor in 2020, so why now?

Last edited:
Think of RealPenalty as Content Manager for actual race experience customization and enforcement.

I've ran at 4-5 different places that use it now. It's not perfect but it's pretty consistent and importantly, the same for everyone. And like CM, it gets ongoing updates and improvement but those are server side. An a driver, you download it, install and enable it just once.

I've raced everything for rolling starts, track limits, safety car, csp/sol enforcement for day night races and endurance races with driver changes.

Like how CM takes your UI experience and upgrades it, RealPenalty does the same for the racing experience.

Last edited:
Think of RealPenalty as Content Manager for actual race experience customization and enforcement.

I've ran at 4-5 different places that use it now. It's not perfect but it's pretty consistent and importantly, the same for everyone. And like CM, it gets on going updates and improvement but those are server side. An a driver, you download it and just install it once and enable it.

I've raced everything for rolling starts, track limits, safety car, csp/sol enforcement for day night races and endurance races with driver changes.

Like how CM takes your UI experience and upgrades it, RealPenalty does the same for the racing experience.

Sounds like it worth a trial run at least. I might run it during a midweek event and see how it goes.

I'll have to look into the techie side first ofc

You thinking of joining us for a few races robert?!

Last edited:
I'll have a look! Thanks man! :)

EDIT: DAMN that looks awesome!!! We should really push for using it... Although I fear having to download an app might be "too much for new guys" according to "what is RD"...
Also with the change to SGP, this probably couldn't be used anyway :(

But this is really awesome! Exactly what is needed!

The "bad" cut detection would still be there but at least we could go with "for the chicane, just use the AC limits, penalties will be applied by the game".

No Dinosaurs but there's an airport close by and some Aircrafts are flying around?
With some quick F7 free came I've found these things:
View attachment 450038
View attachment 450039
I think you've missed this one.
1614616433995.png

I had a good start for the first time in a month and managed to stay in in lane and get around the outside of T1 to hold my starting place.. That gave me a bit of breathing room to lift of and steer though the incidents at the bottom of the hill. A very strange last corner on lap 1... @demetri in front went very wide and i squeezed it up the inside... I think he was mediums and full tank?... so a car pulls beside me as i pass the pit entry and i thought wow that audi is very quick to recover, nice driving demetri... only for it to be @neesve behind me getting the 2 passes done in 2 corners! I think demetri lost alot of places there so great job getting back to first by the end.
It wasn't me, that's for sure. I started in P4 and ran in P2 by the end of the first lap with Patrick's McLaren behind me. I was driving a grey-blue Audi

Patrick has a point, :unsure:

I know that following our resident aliens, I made no inroads to the two of them at that chicane, I know, I was looking throughout the circuit for gains and losses, that chicane was not one of them.

The only circuit to my knowledge that does not stack up is Donington. Oh and sometimes I get Monza totally wrong, I've not seen an advantage in that one being digressed either.

You have to give some slack for all the cars to compete on equal terms, from my perspective, very very little circuit cheating has any consequence on our gt3 racing calendar.

I can only think of one circuit where that has been of significance, that being
Le Mans, last few chicanes before start-finish, you can ignore and straight-line the lot of them.
That's it, unless someone else can come up with one, I can not.
it seems like a lot of fuss for no gain.

I used to race with penalties on circuits, some used to purposely nudge you off the circuit to get you a slow down penalty.:roflmao::roflmao:

There can be a lot of unforeseen results when you try and change something that works perfectly for 98.0% of the time.

You have to give some slack for all the cars to compete on equal terms, from my perspective, very very little circuit cheating has any consequence on our gt3 racing calendar.

Le Mans, last few chicanes before start-finish, you can ignore and straight-line the lot of them.

I used to race with penalties on circuits, some used to purposely nudge you off the circuit to get you a slow down penalty.:roflmao::roflmao:

There can be a lot of unforeseen results when you try and change something that works perfectly for 98.0% of the time.
I would have to agree - on the one hand chicanery at Donners might be a little off putting but then over regulation leads to F1 type [political] races and all that goes with them so I would vote towards not over regulating a slightly imperfect system - I think Chris made a similar point a couple of weeks back. I think what gave all of us such severe PTSD was "he who shallnot be named".

Last edited:

That's another area where RealPenalty does a good job. The cut has to be an advantage gain and not just limited to no of tires off track. So if you run wide and come back on by coasting back or cutting your speed, it doesn't count against you. And number of cuts is configurable on a per race basis.

That's the first one, yes, I know I didn't have overlap and as I said, I had to avoid, not I was pushed off. This is fine, I've thought I would have enough speed to pass after you've almost lost it in the first turn.
Now that I see the reply, I see that the second time when I went out (after the fast right hander at the bottom of the S-es) it's kinda my own fault, but my brain thought it was still you because I braked in a weird way to avoid you ... Sorry about that.
I just barely lifted off to correct the rear end that stepped out for a moment, so I didn't lose a lot of momentum. Probably looked much worse from the outside, but in reality it wasn't even close to losing it. Definitely not a code brown moment :D

I think the second one happened because we were running very different lines through T3. I kept it as much as I could to the left to have a good entry line into T4 while you ended up much further to the right (having my car right in front of you didn't help at all with the front downforce in T3, I guess) and had to go basically across the track on braking. T4 is a difficult corner even when there's nobody in front of you, it is very easy to either lose the rear end or not steer enough and go too wide

I think it needs to be part of the briefing specific to the track. Speaking bluntly from my perspective I've joined this group to race online and I'm desperately trying to make sure I follow the rules and play nicely, but its off putting as a new comer to be following the rules and then established drivers don't and get away with it.

If it's ok to cut this chicane at this track then that's fine, but to compete on a level playing field we all need to know that at the start going into our practice.

After a few bad results, I worked quite hard this week to get the times I did and I feel a bit gutted that I didn't qualify higher up because cutting a particular corner was allowed and I didn't know I could do it too. Either that and it wasn't allowed and everyone should be disqualified.

All that said, having track specific notes in the announcement thread each week is a lot of effort, but maybe moving forwards, we could keep some track specific notes from our experiences this event to post next time.

I would hate to see someone join this group, follow the rules and then leave because they felt that the rules were applied differently to different people.

Most of why we're all not as quick as the top guys comes down to practice and dedication and I'm not naive enough to think the reason I'm 1-2 secs slower on a track like this is down to cutting alone. But following someone and trying to catch them when they're cutting the chicane and you're slowing for it makes it impossible to catch them.

I didn't think to even ask at the briefing as the standing rules are two wheels on the track at all times, then 90% of the drivers then went out and disobeyed the briefing, may as well have not said anything!

Don't take this the wrong way, we all do this for fun, but I personally want to feel i'm progressing and its hard to tell if i'm not racing on the same track as everyone else.

At Monza, you can cut the last turn of Ascari quite a bit even with the in-game penalties enabled. Easily a couple of tenths:

That is unfair Demetri, that not cutting, that is ignoring the corner . :roflmao::roflmao:

If I did that in the Nissan I would be off for certain.
Even if I do that on the first part of the chicane, I generate so much understeer I end up trying to deal with that and not making any progress from the advantage.:unsure:

Last edited:
I think it needs to be part of the briefing specific to the track. Speaking bluntly from my perspective I've joined this group to race online and I'm desperately trying to make sure I follow the rules and play nicely, but its off putting as a new comer to be following the rules and then established drivers don't and get away with it.

If it's ok to cut this chicane at this track then that's fine, but to compete on a level playing field we all need to know that at the start going into our practice.

After a few bad results, I worked quite hard this week to get the times I did and I feel a bit gutted that I didn't qualify higher up because cutting a particular corner was allowed and I didn't know I could do it too. Either that and it wasn't allowed and everyone should be disqualified.

All that said, having track specific notes in the announcement thread each week is a lot of effort, but maybe moving forwards, we could keep some track specific notes from our experiences this event to post next time.

I would hate to see someone join this group, follow the rules and then leave because they felt that the rules were applied differently to different people.

Most of why we're all not as quick as the top guys comes down to practice and dedication and I'm not naive enough to think the reason I'm 1-2 secs slower on a track like this is down to cutting alone. But following someone and trying to catch them when they're cutting the chicane and you're slowing for it makes it impossible to catch them.

I didn't think to even ask at the briefing as the standing rules are two wheels on the track at all times, then 90% of the drivers then went out and disobeyed the briefing, may as well have not said anything!

Don't take this the wrong way, we all do this for fun, but I personally want to feel i'm progressing and its hard to tell if i'm not racing on the same track as everyone else.
I personally don't think the cutting was outrageous and played a significant role. All the guys who cut the chicane ran much better lines than AI did (see my post on page 6). They gained maybe a tenth or two there, definitely less than half a second, which isn't a big deal really. And with AC track limits detection being as bad as it is it's really hard to police that. Overdo it, and you will suck out all of the fun from the racing. In real life, they have paid people monitoring that and issuing warnings (so the racers can adjust their lines) and eventually penalties (if the racers still don't care). We don't have this luxury here.

The main reason I got passed was me making a mistake braking a tad too late, having to slow down more and missing the first apex:
chicane-bad.jpg

and then not taking defensive inside line into the hairpin immediately while there was no overlap. If I ran the same line I run there usually I would've been safe (see how much closer the car behind is here, yet I was OK after the chicane, also note the speed difference):

chicane-good.jpg

I watched the lines you ran in the race and I think you should've taken more of the outside curb on approach as well as those inside curbs in the chicane. Those few laps I saw, your car was going like my car on the first screenshot for both of those curbs. That's simply too much unused track space which cost you time.

That's another area where RealPenalty does a good job. The cut has to be an advantage gain and not just limited to no of tires off track. So if you run wide and come back on by coasting back or cutting your speed, it doesn't count against you. And number of cuts is configurable on a per race basis.
What if you make a mistake, run wide, lose some time catching a suddenly oversteery car in grass/gravel and then come back at full throttle? Will it issue a warning? How does it tell whether I lost time or gained it when going off-track?

The length of the displayport cable would be relevant to what resolution you are running and refresh rate. From my experience it either works or it doesn't.

The mining on the 2nd GPU is more likely your problem. Whilst mining has very limited impact on the system outside of the GPU, the mining software itself could hang or cause instability issues that will affect the system overall. When you say your GPU doesn't have space do you mean in the case? Cooling is your biggest problem with mining so airflow is important. Some GPUs throttle performance (mem junction temps on 3000 series cards for example slow them down), some AMD from my experience will crash out completely.

Check your temperatures, you could take your second GPU out of the case and put it on top or something with a PCIe x1 riser on a USB 3.0 cable.

Check your power supply, don't know what video cards you are running and how you have tuned them for mining but PSU problems are a common cause. You don't really want to run over 80% of the PSUs capability for long durations of time.

My advice is buy a cheap cpu/mb/ram combo and mine on that. I have a 3000 series Nvidia card on a 12 year old intel CPU and MB.
2nd GPU removed and away we go, an hour of happy lapping. I'll try a riser to move the PCIe slot away. So glad it's not the long cables as I spent hours running them to the other room under the floorboards haha!

I didn't want to have to buy another machine to mine as it sort of defeats the object when I'm only earning about $6 a day :)

I'll run a bit more testing but hopefully this means I can commit to more races.

Thanks for the help Tim.

What if you make a mistake, run wide, lose some time catching a suddenly oversteery car in grass/gravel and then come back at full throttle? Will it issue a warning? How does it tell whether I lost time or gained it when going off-track?

It'll know you're notably net down on delta and not penalize you. If interslice puts up a test server, you guys can test it. The game logs full telemetry so it knows what's happening in realtime. That same telem is how all your apps work.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 297 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 206 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 148 7.6%
  • < 5 years