AC GT3 @ Bathurst - Sun 19Aug18

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
What an absolutely amazing race! That battle we had @Trebucht was so good, lasted for about half the race with us head to tails. The only thing was the BMW was so slow on straights and even in the slip stream I was falling back. Overall amazing. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys that was a superb race, I know there was one or two incidents but for this track that is incredible..my own personal target was to get a top ten, I finished eleventh so not to far off.

Hope to see you all next week @ Okayama ..a superb track :thumbsup:

my VR was freaking out. My view point was jumping all the time for a split second to outside the car. I almost puked every lap.

Otherwise the front group was very strong and I only finished 2nd because if mistakes.

Amazing race otherwise

Post your streams!

Dan I have had that before ..it was one of my sensors playing up because of its position.

Thanks for putting tonight on Craig @Buster , an amazing track - eyes out on stalks the whole race!

Started with 3 goals, 1) don't go off 2) get the pitstop right 3) start on the right tyres.
1) accomplished... the other two, errrr, need some work:D

Thanks to all for a great race, I'm amazed there were so few incidents considering the monster that this track is:)
------------------------------------------
A question, if anyone can help? Had to turn everything down to such an extent (inc a frame rate of 28!) it was like playing Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP, could this be because of the track being a mod?

Dan I have had that before ..it was one of my sensors playing up because of its position.
I'll check it out man, thanks!

What tires strategy were the front group running? I ran medium-medium and I suspect one set could last the entire race with decent laptimes at the end.

A question, if anyone can help? Had to turn everything down to such an extent (inc a frame rate of 28!) it was like playing Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP, could this be because of the track being a mod?
Yes for sure!
This sounds a bit special though. Could you post your cpu, amount of ram, gpu and amount of its vram please?
Such a massive drop of fps points towards memory usage being too high. Normally the "bad" mods should only drop you off a little bit, nothing huge!
Did you use any new ac overlay app? Especially leader boards like substanding can eat a lot of fps!

Hiya Rasmus, thanks for your reply and hope this is what you're asking for... I have been told that my cpu is throttling performance so hope to upgrade soon - no idea what to though:(

Regarding running apps, the only ones I use are Helicorsa, FFB Clip, Sidekick and the Teamspeak app

Time of this report: 8/19/2018, 23:25:51
name of this pc:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170913-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/28/12 14:06:14 Ver: 14.01
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 3392MB used, 12954MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C82&SUBSYS_A45419DA&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB
Shared Memory: 1023 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: GF276

I'll check it out man, thanks!

What tires strategy were the front group running? I ran medium-medium and I suspect one set could last the entire race with decent laptimes at the end.

I ran softs the entire time, changing them at the pits along with fuel, I unfortunately over fuelled. I’m pretty sure if I didn’t mess up and push as hard as I did I probably could’ve got 2nd or 1st, I came 3rd. I’m pretty sure I got the fastest lap time as well. The soft tires also lasted long enough to still be as fast or faster than others in the corners and hairpins. Hopefully that answered your question! @Dan Costa

Last edited:
Hiya Rasmus, thanks for your reply and hope this is what you're asking for... I have been told that my cpu is throttling performance so hope to upgrade soon - no idea what to though:(

Regarding running apps, the only ones I use are Helicorsa, FFB Clip, Sidekick and the Teamspeak app

Time of this report: 8/19/2018, 23:25:51
name of this pc:
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.170913-0600)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/28/12 14:06:14 Ver: 14.01
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8174MB RAM
Page File: 3392MB used, 12954MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C82&SUBSYS_A45419DA&REV_A1
Display Memory: 4095 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3072 MB
Shared Memory: 1023 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: GF276
Sounds like it's the CPU indeed. I'll have a look into the bathurst rendering stats during the next days and come back to you with some data :)
To have something to compare with, could you tell me a Kunos track that runs perfectly fine and maybe one that is on the edge? I know the official tracks are not cometely the same too... :)

Yeah, AC cpu performance is a pet peeve of mine. I complain about it all the time in the oficial forums.

Funnily enough, I spent the entire sunday afternoon troubleshooting what eats CPU performance in AC in order to keep VR stable at 90fps with 28 cars just for this race.

My baseline to test performance was a replay from a 24 GT3 car real online race @ Vallelunga. It dips down to 40fps and struggles to stay above 70fps in VR. It was the worst race I ever had performance wise.

These settings did not affect CPU performance and can stay ON (if your GPU can handle them):
- MSAA up to 8x
- Pixel Density 1.5
- Post Processing Effects
- Smoke

These settings absolutely murder CPU framerate
- Reflections
- Mirrors
- World Details above low
- Shadows
- Resolution above 1280x1024 (for VR)
- In-game Apps! some apps kill performance just by being installed and activated on AC settings. Test one by one to find them.

Disabling all of the above improved the dips from 40fps up to 75fps. Not Enough.

The trick to have a locked 90fps is to enable an option you can find in ContentManager, called:
BJguE1s.png

After enabling the setting above, I found I now have free CPU resources to activate some of the settings above, albeit with low quality only.
- Reflections static (Use contentmanager to drop render distance down to 60meters.
- Mirrors low (Use contentmanager to drop mirror render distance down to 250meters in SYSTEM
M956lqE.png
).

Now that I have mirrors working (!!!!) at a stable 90fps, I'm almost done. I only needed to activate some important apps. And this was troubling. All these apps had a negative effect.
- Essentials app
- realtime app
- Leaderboard app
- TrackMap Display app
- Protyres app
- Substanding app (horrible. drops 30fps just by being installed into AC)
- fuel usage app

I found that I could only use these simultaneously, barely.
- Fuel usage (mini)
- Standard AC track map app
- Standard AC race position app
- Standard AC lap timing app
- Standard AC tyre app

These are the settings that allowed me to race @ 90fps in VR 27 cars in bathrust. If these settings work in VR, they work in single-screen too.

GRSCbnf.png

And for the love of god, do not install MSI Afterburner. Ever.

The CPU is a 2700X with Hyperthreading OFF and only 4 cores active @ 4.3ghz. Every trick counts!

Cheers

I ran softs the entire time, changing them at the pits along with fuel, I unfortunately over fuelled. I’m pretty sure if I didn’t mess up and push as hard as I did I probably could’ve got 2nd or 1st, I came 3rd. I’m pretty sure I got the fastest lap time as well. The soft tires also lasted long enough to still be as fast or faster than others in the corners and hairpins. Hopefully that answered your question! @Dan Costa

oh, I disagree @Fin_
The definition of really messing up would be to miss your pit stop red square by 1 meter, look at the skies wondering "Why is it not refueling!!!?", engage reverse to drive backwards, and lose an entire 3 seconds in the process :D

Yeah, AC cpu performance is a pet peeve of mine. I complain about it all the time in the oficial forums.

Funnily enough, I spent the entire sunday afternoon troubleshooting what eats CPU performance in AC in order to keep VR stable at 90fps with 28 cars just for this race.

My baseline to test performance was a replay from a 24 GT3 car real online race @ Vallelunga. It dips down to 40fps and struggles to stay above 70fps in VR. It was the worst race I ever had performance wise.

These settings did not affect CPU performance and can stay ON (if your GPU can handle them):

Disabling all of the above improved the dips from 40fps up to 75fps. Not Enough.

The trick to have a locked 90fps is to enable an option you can find in ContentManager, called:

After enabling the setting above, I found I now have free CPU resources to activate some of the settings above, albeit with low quality only.

Now that I have mirrors working (!!!!) at a stable 90fps, I'm almost done. I only needed to activate some important apps. And this was troubling. All these apps had a negative effect.

These are the settings that allowed me to race @ 90fps in VR 27 cars in bathrust. If these settings work in VR, they work in single-screen too.

GRSCbnf.png

The CPU is a 2700X with Hyperthreading OFF and only 4 cores active @ 4.3ghz. Every trick counts!

Cheers
Thanks for sparing me from searching & copying my past posts once again :D
Says everything, thank you!

One thing though: what problems did you encounter with msi afterburner?
For me it's one of my core elements on my PC. Best monitoring, ingame overlay Overclocking tool and with the complementing Riva tuner the best fps limiter out there.
I read about problems with VR and with windows 10's full-screen optimizations though.

GRSCbnf.png

Cheers
Awesome job Dan, thanks for taking the trouble to share this :thumbsup:

I went through similar processes a while back when I was also having CPU related issues in VR, unfortunately though I didn't log my detailed results like you've done above.

Thanks for sparing me from searching & copying my past posts once again :D
Says everything, thank you!

One thing though: what problems did you encounter with msi afterburner?
For me it's one of my core elements on my PC. Best monitoring, ingame overlay Overclocking tool and with the complementing Riva tuner the best fps limiter out there.
I read about problems with VR and with windows 10's full-screen optimizations though.

For the same reasons you pointed out, MSI Afterburner was my go-to app.
But it badly interfered with Oculus ability to properly vsync. In other words, it caused huge stutters in VR. I reformated my Pc several times until I found out it was this app. I believe this is only related to AMD cards though.

Sounds like it's the CPU indeed. I'll have a look into the bathurst rendering stats during the next days and come back to you with some data :)
To have something to compare with, could you tell me a Kunos track that runs perfectly fine and maybe one that is on the edge? I know the official tracks are not cometely the same too... :)
Thanks for your reply Rasmus :)

I have always run all other tracks with fairly medium, but perfectly acceptable settings (never have smoke enabled though), frame rate of 65. For example, other mod tracks with a grid of 24 cars didn't give a problem - Le Mans and Paul Ricard all ran fine, for example. So this is the only track that's been nearly impossible to run:(

The only difference between the above examples and Bathurst was a grid of over 24 cars - the biggest number I've encountered before last night, maybe that's the hair that breaks the camel's back for my CP?

I'll try Okayama tonight with 24 AI cars and my usual settings, fingers crossed Bathurst was a glitch in the space-time continuum and I can enter next Sunday's race :D

edit: probably not important and obvious, but just before the pc crashing the '99% cpu warning' popped up, only time this ever happened was when I first used AC back in January, and had everything on max settings, which I soon learnt it won't cope with:laugh:

Thanks for your reply Rasmus :)

I have always run all other tracks with fairly medium, but perfectly acceptable settings (never have smoke enabled though), frame rate of 65. For example, other mod tracks with a grid of 24 cars didn't give a problem - Le Mans and Paul Ricard all ran fine, for example. So this is the only track that's been nearly impossible to run:(

The only difference between the above examples and Bathurst was a grid of over 24 cars - the biggest number I've encountered before last night, maybe that's the hair that breaks the camel's back for my CP?

I'll try Okayama tonight with 24 AI cars and my usual settings, fingers crossed Bathurst was a glitch in the space-time continuum and I can enter next Sunday's race :D
Remember though that AI eats away the cpu while multiplayer doesn't. For me it's around 10 AI = 24 online.
Thanks for the info, I'll report back about bathurst performance :)

edit: probably not important and obvious, but just before the pc crashing the '99% cpu warning' popped up, only time this ever happened was when I first used AC back in January, and had everything on max settings, which I soon learnt it won't cope with:laugh:

No that is actually very important.. (simple terms) ..AC is telling you it requires more, but your system had no more to give, you are lucky it did crash.

To be honest with you 19 drivers @ Bathurst is about right, anymore will tax a lower spec machine.

Okayama is better optimized, so will not trouble you so much.

One other method I do ..you or may not be aware of it ....when game is running ALT TAB out ..right click bottom of your desktop and run "Task Manager" Find AC (top of list or near top) right click it and Set Priority = Real Time ..your system will now look after AC a lot better :thumbsup:

Remember though that AI eats away the cpu while multiplayer doesn't. For me it's around 10 AI = 24 online.
Thanks for the info, I'll report back about bathurst performance :)
Wow, I wasn't aware AI is worse than multiplayer, my cave-man computer skills would say the opposite:laugh: I spent all Sunday afternoon racing against AI trying to reduce settings to get rid of cpu warnings, no wonder my eyes are like p1ss holes in the snow :roflmao: :roflmao:

Wow, I wasn't aware AI is worse than multiplayer, my cave-man computer skills would say the opposite:laugh: I spent all Sunday afternoon racing against AI trying to reduce settings to get rid of cpu warnings, no wonder my eyes are like p1ss holes in the snow :roflmao: :roflmao:
:roflmao::roflmao:
Well against AI the PC has to calculate the driving of the other cars. Online it only has to calculate the physics while receiving the positions of the cars from the server.
Still a lot to calculate but way less heavy!

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%