GT Legends Install Guide (Steam/Digital/DVD) - Creating 2nd install - Setting up GTL

Installation

Before you start
If you already have an install of GTL on you computer, but want to replace it with a new fresh install, there are a few files/folders you want to copy and store somewhere safe before you remove the old install:
  • The ReplayData folder if you want to keep old replays
  • The UserData to keep your user profile and car-setups
  • Config.ini (located in main folder) containing configuration settings (resolution etc)
  • Copy d3d9.dll and XD.ini (located in main folder) to keep XD.
Copy these files/folders and store them somewhere safe.

Installation on Steam (Thanks Tim for the info)
  • Install GTL in steam
  • After GTL installed, right click on the game in your library list, then click on properties. Choose the "updates" tab, and set the drop down menu to "Do not automatically update this game". This stops Steam messing with the game files.
  • For Windows 7: Go to the main GTL folder of the new install, right-click GTL.exe and click properties. Under Compatibility click "Change settings for all users". Select Compatibility mode XP SP3 and check "Run as administrator".
  • Do not run the game yet. See next post for setting up GTL for the first time, or to copy settings from an existing install
Once you gone through these steps it is easy to create a 2nd install of GTL:
  • Go to the new Steam install
  • Copy the entire GT Legends folder
  • Paste the entire GT Legends folder in a new location outside the Steam folders and rename it (to RDHCS etc.)
  • To make a shortcut for the 2nd install, right-click GTL.exe and click "Send to">"Desktop (Create Shortcut)". Then Rename it to RDHCS etc..
  • Do not run the game yet. See next post for setting up GTL for the first time, or to copy settings from an existing install
Installation with Digital/DVD version
  • Launch the installer. If you are using the Digital download, start the installation by right-clicking setup.exe and click "Run as Administrator".
  • Select an install location outside the Windows folders (i.e. do not install in Program Files) and select a path without spaces in any of the folder names (i.e. "C:\mygames\GTLegends" instead of "C:\my games\GT Legends"
  • At the end of the installation process you are asked if you want to run Configuration. uncheck the option as we will do it later.
  • If you use DVD version, install 1.1 Update (link). Right-click the installation file and click "Run as administrator"
  • For Windows 7: Go to the new install, right-click GTL.exe and click properties. Under Compatibility click "Change settings for all users". Select Compatibility mode XP SP3 and check "Run as administrator".
To create a second install:
  • If you have a shortcut on the desktop for the first install, rename it to GTLclub
  • Go through the same steps above with the following changes:
    • Install in a different location ("C:\mygames\GTLRDHCS" etc)
    • Select a different location on the start menu ("SIMBIN\GTLRDHCS etc)

Copying settings from an existing install to fresh install
  • Copy TG2001.dyn file (car cheat) from old install to new one.
  • Create a profile in the new install:
    • Launch GTL and create a profile
    • Use real name
    • Just click next/ok to accept all default settings. If you have a steering wheel, click Logitech Momo Force in the upper right corner and set effects to LOW when you come to the controller settings
    • Close GTL
  • In the old install copy the following files from the old to new install:
    • The *.VCR files located in ReplayData if you want to transfer old replays
    • The car setups located in UserData/*Username*/Settings
    • Config.ini (located in main folder) to transfer the configuration settings (resolution etc)
    • The *.PLR file located in UserData/*Username*. For the *.PLR file you should only copy a section of the text file not the entire content:
      • The first two sections should not be copied (i.e. [ TRACK ] and [ DRIVER ])
      • The rest of the *.PLR file can be copied and pasted into the new PLR file (again, leave the two first sections unchanged in the new profile (i.e. [ TRACK ] and [ DRIVER ])
    • Copy d3d9.dll and XD.ini to transfer XD to the new install
Setting up GT Legends for the first time
  • All cars cheat: Drop the TG2001.dyn file (link) into the main install (side-by side with GTL.exe).
  • Connect your steering-wheel
  • Start GTL
  • The configuration window should pop up. Select the correct resolution. Set Shader Level to DX9. Set the Fullscreen Anti-aliasing to your desired level (I use 4x). Do not use Vertical Sync. Click OK
  • When GTL launches, it will set up your player profile. Write your real name so that you can use your profile online in RD races.
  • Set up your control mappings. On the next controller settings menu I recommend setting speed-sensitive steering to zero if you use a wheel and check direct shifter if you use H-shifter. On the next menu, if you are using a steering wheel click Logitech Momo Force in the upper right corner and set effects to LOW (removes additional effects and leaves the true simulated steering force and a rumble strip effect).
  • Now the first setup is complete. You should now have a lot of money and all cars unlocked (see the statistics on the main menu).
  • From the main menu go to Options. Under Game turn on Mirrors. Set your settings for automatic clutch/gear under Realism menu and adjust audio settings. Adjust graphics under Video and Advanced menu.
  • Close GTL and go to the main install folder. Go to UserData/*Username*/ and open the file *Username*.PLR in notepad.
    • Scroll down to [Driving aids]. Make sure you have the following settings:
      • Autopit="0"
      • Force Autopit Off="1"
      • No AI Control="1"
      • Pitcrew Push="1"
      • Pit Spot Marker="1"
    • Scroll down to [Game Options]. Make sure you have the following settings:
      • Replays Dated="1"
      • Display Pit Board="1"
    • Optional: Scroll down to [Controls]. You can replace the FFB settings with Warrens settings found here (link). Just identify the corresponding section (i.e. the section starting at FFB Device Type and ending at FFB jolt magnitude) in the PLR file and replace it with Warrens settings.
Optional plugins:
  • XD live telemetry (link). Extract the zip on your desktop first. Move the file d3d9.dll to the main install folder (side by side with GTL.exe).
  • Logitech G27 LED lights plugin (link). Extract the zip on your desktop first. Move the folder Plugins, the files dinput8.dll and G27Plugin.ini to your main install (side by side with GTL.exe).
Setting up multiplayer
  • If you have the DVD version of GTL:
    • Go to your main install
    • Right-click anywhere in the folder and click New>Text Document
    • Name the file "LOCAL_IP_LOBBY.TXT"
    • Open the text file in notepad and write 81.3.59.61
    • Save and close the file
    • The DVD install should now be ready to go online
  • If you have Steam or Digital version:
    • Go to your main install
    • Open the file "LOCAL_IP_LOBBY.TXT" in notepad and make sure it contains only the following: 81.3.59.61
  • Launch GTL
  • Go to Multiplayer>Internet
  • Click Register
  • Fill in the information (E-mail can be left blank). For the username it is not necessary to use you real name (this name will only show in the lobby so it can be anything).
  • To complete the registration click the arrow button on the right.
  • Now fill in the login information and click Log in (the arrow button on the right)
  • If it takes you to the lobby you have successfully set up the multiplayer
If registration fails:
  • Try a few different usernames and see if it helps. Sometimes it works on the 5th attempt etc

Hello Knut
I just need clairification on one issue please. Using the digital version. I'm keeping my old install for club events and I renamed the shortcut as described.
Now I'm trying to create in my new install for League.

When getting to the step "Select a different location on the start menu ("SIMBIN\GTLRDHCS etc)" I am having an issue. I assume I must make the new folder, RDHCS in the SimBin folder before doing the install so that it is there to "browse" to when doing the new install. I can't seem to locate the SIMBIN folder to make the SIMBIN\GTLRDHCS, so I stopped my new install until further instructions...or am I way off the process?

An idea..can I actually change the name to SimBin\GTLRDHCS right in the Setup window of the install wizard?

You can try first to write SimBin\GTLRDHCS in the Setup window and see if it works ok. Otherwise just create the folder manually and browse to it in the installer (what I did).

The 3rd option is to check the box for "Don't create a Startmenu Folder" (so there will be no shortcut for the second install in the start menu). I personally never use the startmenu to launch GTL so that would have worked just as good for me.

Otherwise just create the folder manually and browse to it in the installer (what I did)./QUOTE] How? That's what I tried/want to do but was unable to create the folder manually because I could not loacate the Sim Bin folder on my computer. Where should it be located? I did a search for SimBin but nothing came up, but it is in the All Programs but you can not create a folder there. Help just alittle more please

I believe I just created the folder manually in the SimBin folder. I just noticed /used the "see more results" message at the bottom of the search window. Why in the hell would they not display all the searched items in the first place!!! instead of making you do a second search for your item?

When getting to the step "Select a different location on the start menu ("SIMBIN\GTLRDHCS etc)" I am having an issue. I assume I must make the new folder, RDHCS in the SimBin folder before doing the install so that it is there to "browse" to when doing the new install. I can't seem to locate the SIMBIN folder to make the SIMBIN\GTLRDHCS, so I stopped my new install until further instructions...or am I way off the process?

An idea..can I actually change the name to SimBin\GTLRDHCS right in the Setup window of the install wizard?

Jack, when I got to that step, I just typed a new location into the address box provided (GTL RDHCS). It worked, I now have two separate locations (GTL RDHCS, and Simbin/GTL Club) for my two installs.

Re the shader level, I left mine as Auto but choosing DX9 should be ok too. I've tried both the other day during my re-join bug issue, and it didn't seem to make any difference. Of course I use Win XP which doesn't go any higher than DX9, not sure if Win 7 would be different, doubt it though, GTL wouldn't use DX10, I imagine.

My new second install seemed to go as planned, pretty quick and easy with the guidelines. I put my RDHCS install onto my C drive, the GTL Club is on D drive just to keep them even more separated. Many thanks Knut. :thumbsup:

Only thing I need to be careful about is to make sure I select the correct GTL version when launching now, the icons are the same (different names tho) and I'm pretty dopey in the wee hours of the morning when joining. :sleep:

Here is a icon that can be used for your new RDHCS version of GTL
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/115891207/RDHCS.ico
  1. All you do is save it to a safe place where its not going to get delelted.
  2. on your RDHCS gtl shortcut click properties
  3. on the shortcut tab click the change icon
  4. select browse and find the icon from were you saved it
  5. ..click on the icon and click open
  6. then click OK
  7. then click apply..
JOB DONE.. :)

now you wont get confused when selecting the RDHCS version of GT Legends

Actually, my GTL install via steam crashes if I set it to XP SP3 compatibility mode.
But otherwise it will run if you do not have the compatibility mode set. Just admin.

Though when you leave the garage and get out onto the track/pits XD 2.1.12 flashes up for a small fraction of a second and then disappears completely. GTL will continue to run normally.
2.1.8, 2.1.9, and 2.1.10 work properly. I do not have 2.1.11 to test.
Waiting on an email from the dev about that. *shrug*

Very happy chappy, after Pc crash last week an buying a new one setup GTL with steam all seems to work OK now, today put in the old HD an have back all my stuff,track's cars an all the things I have collected over the years !:)

What is puzzling me now, I had backups on an extra HD an that seems all ok but after putting it back,all the maps where empty: Add on cars- Team - TC-65- Lancia Fulvia HF- # 27- empty !! ??
I am not shore how I make the backup, automatic or by copy an past it to the backup disc,I think the last option should be the best way to do ??
All that matters I have everything back now bud fore the future I have to do it right !!;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back