Sounds Grip - Audio PlugIn for creating tyre and chassis sounds

I thought this might be interesting for the sound modding guys. It´s a VST/AAX Plugin by Boom Library you can use to custom design tyre and chassis sounds. I will try it tonite and give a report.
Cheers

So I played a little bit with the Grip PlugIn. It is very easy to use and has an almost self explanatory interface. You can mix the sound components chassis,suspension, rolling, tyre skid and detail and switch between interior and exterior sound. Via a "Grip"-slider you can manipulate the amount of skid sounds: 100 % no skids, 80 % some skid. For adding suspension bumps theres a suspension impact button with a slider to dial in the right amount of chassis reaction.
There´s also a speed slider that defines the speed of the vehicle and you can choose two different road surfaces (gravel, dry tarmac, wet etc.) and mix them via a blend slider.
Currently there is a limited number of verhicles to select from: generic car one and two, modern truck, old truck and a motorcycle.
You can use Solo and Mute Buttons to isolate the single components or work with the full mix. It´s possible to automate parameters like speed, grip etc. in the DAW but you can´t assign MIDI-Controllers at the moment (at least not in Nuendo 10), which would be great because you could "play" the car sounds in realtime on a MIDI Keyboards and use the Pitch and Mod-Wheels for modulating speed an grip levels.
The results sound overall realistic and once you are familiar with the interface you get what you want quite fast. Also the sound variation is good, even if you tap the Supspension Impact button over and over again you never get the feeling of a repeating sound. There could be more variations in the direction of more spectatcular sounds and a supercar and sportscar preset would be nice, because they have different supsension and chassis sounds than a generic mass produced car.
I noticed that the VTS Plugin uses quite a lot of processing power, so dialing up the latency might help prevent drop outs on weaker systems. I think it is a great tool if you want to do a sound design for a video or an animation. If you are interested in a lot of different chassis and suspension sounds for a virtual car I think it could be wiser to invest the 143 Euros in a dedicated library and manipulate the sounds to your liking. There´s a 7 day trial version, but you´ll need an iLock acount to use it.
Cheers

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 113 88.3%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 22 17.2%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 21 16.4%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 17 13.3%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 47 36.7%