Grid Walk

You know the 'grid walk' camera scene before a race, how do i get that back? an ideas?

I'm talking about where the camera runs down the length of the grid before the race starts..... i've lost that. Must be about a year ago i switched it off somehow to skip that part and go straight to lights out. But i can't remember how.

Petty i know, but Now i want it back so i can screen capture the full grid and their liveries for one of my videos. Anyone know how to get that feature back?

yeah i looked at that, but it seems OK. Oddly, i used to get the Grid walkthrough and the formation lap, but now i don't get either. when i go from Garage to Race it skips immediately to the starting grid and light sequence.

Text from the PLR

CURNT Grid Walkthrough="1"
PRACT Grid Walkthrough="1"
QUICK Grid Walkthrough="1"
FRACE Grid Walkthrough="1"
CHAMP Grid Walkthrough="1"
MULTI Grid Walkthrough="0"
RPLAY Grid Walkthrough="1"
TIMET Grid Walkthrough="1"
DSCHL Grid Walkthrough="1"

In general, yes, that is what i do, exit, edit, restart. However, in this instance i've not touched the PLR. I've never edited it at all in anyway. I cannot think for a moment how on earth i switched the formation lap and grid walk off. I know that i did. But can't remember how.

Great shout. Problem Solved.

SO.... the last six months i've only been racing on my own track builds as i'm trying to finish this Mod/Championship. I've got ten out of twelve tracks completed, and have been fine tuning all the AI stuff with Quali and Race ratios etc, to really get the racing close and competitive. As you c an imagine that's entailed race after race lap after lap on the tracks to get all the timings, AI, tweaks etc... (Shovas see footnote**)

I build my tracks in Bobs BTB then post edit in 3DsimEd. But turns out, Bob's doesn't generate a GRD file. Therefore i've not seen any pre race gridwalks in six months or more. I just copy/paste edited the Anderstorp GRD into one of my tracks and ... Bob's your uncle... nice Gridwalk for my track.

So great shout there Shovas :thumbsup:

Now.... all i need to do is figure out how to get my track Load screens working, and install animated flag marshals.

(footnote.***... this m ay interest you, that AI stuff..... i've got it down to a 50 car grid where quali one second covers the first 30 cars, and 2 seconds cover the full grid of 50. A perfect hot lap will get you on the front row, pole or 2nd. but the slightest mistake and you're sixth or tenth on the grid. In race trim, it's balls out ten tenths the full distance (sprint races of 15-20 laps) and if you out break yourself, run wide, etc, three or four will pass you. Battling, the AI will come back at you, if you dive into a corner, up the inside and run a tad wide, they'll undercut, and take back the place. A lot of it was done with the .aiw file values for Worst, Best, Mid ranges, quali/race ratio, AI Range. Which, as you know there's no hard and fast magic number. It changes for each track. So you have to spend hours and hours of putting in the fast laps to trim those figures, sometimes by incriments of 0.001 to get the AI to where you want them, and have realistic competitive racing.

That's something you're quite familiar with Shovas i know, as i read your data on AI.

Another thing i did was apply Talent files for each driver and tweak their values. By limiting some drivers to mid range grid spots, but giving them strong values for race perfomance and overtaking, it also means that even if you, the user, have broken away in a leading group of four or five and are dicing for the race distance, towards the end, one or two cars will close up onto the lead group and inevitable you end up with six or seven cars fighting it out for the win with three laps to go. Having created my own tyre files for the Mini Coop, that is usually just as they go off and the front end starts to get a bit understeerey, so it all gets rather elbows out and arse seat biting as you try to muscle your way through and stop AI coming back at you. It takes a lot of time, but the nett result is, some very realistic close racing.

In terms of AI Range, on most tracks i keep it very close. the field does spread out a bit, because the driver TALENT files have different values, but not overly, for all intents, it's close enough that if you go off, or pit, you'll drop 20 , 30 places or more. But on two tracks where overtaking is harder, one being a street circuit, i deliberately increased the AI range, so twelve laps in, with four laps to go, you're coming up to back markers and it makes it all the more difficult.

Another thing was a tip Bjarne gave me about the Drag Base to remove the disparity. . I played around with that so now the two versions of the Mini Coop im using are identical in perfomance, no disparity, but importantly, tweaking the darg values, now you can't just blast pass someone on the straight like DRS. You can get a tow, but if you're slipstreaming and your hitting the revs and pull out too soon, you'll lose the tow and if anthing they'll edge ahead. So you basically have to stay right in behind, and then it's done last second, duck out, and pass under braking. )

They've just extended lockdown here to end of May. so i've got three more weeks to finish my last two tracks. Hopefully i can solve the LOAD screen issue, get the flag marshals installed, and end of the month i should be able to release this Mini Coop championship mod.

This is a sample of my LOAD screens. I basically created them and saved to the same sizes, dpi as the standard load screens. But for some reason they don't appear. I just get the generic GTR2 load screen. (I do get custom load screens from other downloaded tracks, it's only mine which don't appear)

Attachments

• HaydockCross_loading.jpg
    HaydockCross_loading.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 66
  • HaydockCross_LOD_2.jpg
    HaydockCross_LOD_2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 54
I've made them uniform across all my tracks. Would be nice to get them working.

Attachments

• BuckNAT_loading.jpg
    BuckNAT_loading.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 60
  • BuckNAT_LOD_2.jpg
    BuckNAT_LOD_2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 57
  • BuckwoodGP_loading.jpg
    BuckwoodGP_loading.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 65
  • BuckwoodGP_LOD_2.jpg
    BuckwoodGP_LOD_2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 52
  • BucKwoodINT_loading.jpg
    BucKwoodINT_loading.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 53
  • BucKwoodINT_LOD_2.jpg
    BucKwoodINT_LOD_2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 50
LOD and LOD2 images must use only the first four letters of your track name/trk directory. For example: "BuckwoodGP" = "Buck_LOD" and "Buck_LOD_2". In order for the LOD to load for different track configurations they (and your tracks) would need to be renamed something like:

"Hadcross", "Hadc_LOD", "Hadc_LOD_2"
"BuNat", "BuNa_LOD", "BuNa_LOD_2"
"BuGP", "BuGP_LOD", "BuGP_LOD_2"
"BuInt", "BuIn_LOD", "BuIn_LOD_2"

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back