GT5 Gran Turismo 5 what a let down

Right where to start, ok so we have finally got GT 5 after many years of waiting but what a let down I has been. Here is a list if things of why it's such a let down.

Damage:

So we were all so excited when we heard that GT5 would have a damage system but now I've got the game I can't see why I got so excited. I mean for starters you only have damage on the premium cars which is only about 100 cars out of 1000 odd cars I mean what's the point, secondly the actual damage is rubbish I crashed a 458 Italia into a wall at 100 mph diliberatly and all that happened was my bumper bent and finally the sound the sound when you crash is horrible and not realistic at all it just sounds like some sort of computer had a guess of what it sounds like to crash.

Cockpit view:

Like the damage only premium cars have cockpit views which is pretty dam pointless. They've delayed the game for 2 years and didn't bother getting the cockpit views done for all cars now that's just lazy.

Tracks:

Well the thing with the tracks is there isn't that many yes there is plenty of ways to go round each one but there isn't nearly enough when you bear in mind how many cars there are and how many tracks other games have. Another thing with the tracks is the atmoshere there just isn't any. At most there is a handful of people in the grandstands but otherwise there deserted which makes the game feel dead and boring. The graphics of the tracks is my last point. All the tracks on the game apart from the rally ones look so clean and clinical like they've just laid new tarmac down then painted a black line round it for the racing line which isn't always painted on the right line it's just not realistic at all. Another thing is how the tracks are portrayed like monza and Monaco for examples in real life in Moza ther is no concrete Walls blocking the first chicane but that isn't really a big deal it's Monica that rather pointless everything is wrong four corners have barriers where there shouldnt be and none of the correct markings on the road are there.

length of the game:

The game is sooooo long and very boring after a while it has none of the off track features like F1 2010 for example after you have comPleted the first few groups of races in a spec begginer you can't do the rest because they require certain cars which you don't have and can't afford at that time. Also the licenses are terribly long yes they are great fun and a good feature but why so many and why all the restrictions on things like you need a certain licences to buy a car i can understand needing a certain licences to race but to buy cars that's just silly. And when ever you buy a car of get one dilevered why do we need a minute long sequence showing us the car just why.

Car graphics:

Yes you all may think the graphics are amazing but as I said about the track graphics it's all just too clean. There are better car graphics out there I will admit certain cars look absolutely amazing but it's not consistent it really isn't some cars look like boxes it just doesn't have a sense of realism.

Dificullty:

The difficulty varies massively. Some races are so easy it a joke and in others is near impossible and this isn't just because I've gone on to harder levels I did the Mercedes challenge around the norschlifer and one section of the track was easy while another the AI where so much quicker than me it was riddiculous.

The future of the game:

The future of the game doesnt look bright I mean will they be able to produce tracks and car pack at the rate forza has. NO they've made it too complicated to do it at that rate. I read they promised to launch the game with 1000 cars in and with the help of downloadable content bring that number up to 10,000 in no time at all. This just won't happen in the time before people start wanting GT6.

Fun factor:

The fun factor is one of the most dissapointing things. Itis fun too begin with but after a while because of all it clinicalness it gets very boring especially with that poor damage system.

So to do an overview on it all even though it has the best car physics there is for a racing sim on a games console there is a hell of a lot wrong. Please rate this post out of 10 please and feel free to dicuss all that I've just said.

In reply to that, i think GT5 is one of the best "driving games" ever. There's a lot of work put into it, a lot of thought and quality. The Nurburgring is by far the best version, and while the track list isnt massive you can't compare it to sims such as iRacing where each track costs a set ammount, and owning the full content would cost you a lot money.

I own/play all the popular PC sims, done a fair bit of iRacing, still play Rfactor now and then, but GT5 has really pulled me in as something i go back to. It aint perfect but i don't think anybody can really be wrong for thinking GT5 is the best racing game, many people would find the pricing of iRacing and lack of single player to be a big turn off, Rfactors graphics outside of the car modelling are out of date, there is no real single player and the track selection consists of fan made content (which can be very good, but for example Laguna seca doesn't compare with iRacings, or Nordschleife does not compare with GT5's). Netkar has amazing physics and is a great sim but really lacks quality tracks, the game feels and looks like an early beta as a game, and outside of the hardcore sim community it is fairly unknown.

Forza is loved by many, especially for the customisation and various tracks, but many complained about the physics, FFB, car setups among other things, area's where GT5 is widely thought to be vastly superior. As for AI, i've never seen a racing game with good AI and GT5 is no exception, the AI is crap and slow for the most part. But i generally enjoy the driving, which does it for me.

Guys, I got my GT5 copy at last and test it today with my G25 and Playseats chair. I'am pretty disappointed about manual Gear Box. I can change gear without touching clutch and acceleration pedal. It's so arcade and it's ****... (everything off and gearbox changed to manual) Maybe it can be changed somehow ?

Bought the game a few days ago. Wanted to give this game a go before making my mind up. Game is going to be sold tomorrow. Interface of this game is the best I have ever seen. But something about the driving is really off for me. Online gameplay is so daunting. I have tried to join lobbies alot and not one race I managed to have before getting disconnected. I'll stick with PC Sims

Sorry to hear you're not happy with it Abdul. With all the driving aids off I find the driving to actually have a very realistic feel to it. Racing online in the open lobby can certainly be daunting, but honestly racing on public servers in PC Sims has it draw backs as well. I find it hard to find quality open lobby servers to race on, they are usually filled with people that want "more HP!", and "less KG!". Don't even get me started with tire choices... Understandably most people that have picked up GT5 are NOT sim racers though.

GT5 obviously has limitations though, but I don't think it is because of a lack of it's ability to serve a sim experience. It's limitations are due to the Consol. For example, we can't host dedicated servers in the same way that we can in PC sims. Which I think contributes to the poor online racing experience you had, GT5 will change the rate it refreshes data during the race based on the connection bandwidth of the host and participants. Obviously this means we cannot have large grid sizes like we can in PC Sims. We also can't edit / review replays very well to submit infraction reports. We cannot have results automatically uploaded to include in the ranking system. I don't think there is enough "restriction options" available to the host. It would be nice to be able to fine tune them much further, such as in a specific set of cars by country, type, etc. Also when it comes to making setup adjustments, it seems rather novice in comparison to our PC sims.

All that said however, I do still think GT5 has a lot of potential to offer some very fantastic and fun club racing events. We do have the ability to keep servers private by using the My Lounge feature, so that keeps out the greifers. So far, with the right people on the servers we have enjoyed some very fun door to door clean racing. And one of the really nice things is you don't need to put in a bunch of practice time to prepare for the races. A few laps to get a feel for the car / track and find your braking points, a couple minor adjustments to aero maybe and final drive gear.. away you go. Which is great for some casual club racing.

I think the GT5 club racing fits into RD as a stepping stone platform / sim. Which may expose more people to organized club and league racing, and may pave the way for people that are interested in it to find their way to more realistic and competitive events and leagues that only our beloved PC Racing Sims can provide.. Many of which, a lot of the population has never even heard of... (At least when compared to a title franchise like Gran Turismo).

So before you completely write it off, give some of the club racing events a try. Who knows you might actually enjoy yourself, and it won't hurt to hang on to tha title just a little bit longer... ;-)

So before you completely write it off, give some of the club racing events a try. Who knows you might actually enjoy yourself, and it won't hurt to hang on to tha title just a little bit longer... ;-)

Agree with pretty much everything you said there, Saul, particularly the above. Finding decent events to join is everything, because no matter how good or bad a game is, it will always be rubbish on a server of idiots.

To Abdul I would definitely say that you should give the game a chance. I don't think that GT5 is a game you can get a good feel for in just one day, not least because half of the game is unavailable until you've played for some time. Its obviously going to feel different than other sims you've played, but that's not to say its 'wrong' or a bad game. I'm a Race 07 fan and GT5 felt pretty odd at first, but much better after a few days when I got used to it. One thing worth remembering is that its all about road cars, and not the racing machines we're used to with PC sims.

Guys, I got my GT5 copy at last and test it today with my G25 and Playseats chair. I'am pretty disappointed about manual Gear Box. I can change gear without touching clutch and acceleration pedal. It's so arcade and it's ****... (everything off and gearbox changed to manual) Maybe it can be changed somehow ?

When on manual gearbox just press your clutch one time, to activate the clutch, this works for me.
If I try to change gears without the clutch now, it only flips to neutral and it won't get in the gear.

It isn't possible to use the clutch and using the flippers at the same time

Reading this about the gearbox, if you're going to complain about functionality, you could atleast take the time to read the manual or learn how to properly use the game. The clutch needs to be activated before it is needed to change gear, it is not assumed that because you own a wheel with a clutch pedal that you will want to use it, the clutch works almost identical to iRacing, though to be honest that's not a good thing, it's decent enough.

This game isnt a hardcore racing sim, rather a driving simulation built into a casual racing game, but each time i go back to it i find it feels more and more like the real thing. The FFB while feeling quite dead compared to iRacing is far closer to feeling like a real car, the way you can hold cars in slides, something that iRacing itself has only started to address with the latest patch (Suddenly the Spec Ford Racer is drivable without tiptoeing). For all its flaws GT5 does a lot of things right, and just because it doesn't feel like simulator "xxx" on the PC that you have driven for years, doesn't mean you should lightly cast it aside.

As for online issues, what do you expect?

Bought the game a few days ago. Wanted to give this game a go before making my mind up. Game is going to be sold tomorrow. Interface of this game is the best I have ever seen. But something about the driving is really off for me. Online gameplay is so daunting. I have tried to join lobbies alot and not one race I managed to have before getting disconnected. I'll stick with PC Sims

Dissapoints me that polyphony calls it THE REAL DRIVING SIMULATOR because quite frankly it isn't.

Reading this about the gearbox, if you're going to complain about functionality, you could atleast take the time to read the manual or learn how to properly use the game. The clutch needs to be activated before it is needed to change gear, it is not assumed that because you own a wheel with a clutch pedal that you will want to use it, the clutch works almost identical to iRacing, though to be honest that's not a good thing, it's decent enough.

This game isnt a hardcore racing sim, rather a driving simulation built into a casual racing game, but each time i go back to it i find it feels more and more like the real thing. The FFB while feeling quite dead compared to iRacing is far closer to feeling like a real car, the way you can hold cars in slides, something that iRacing itself has only started to address with the latest patch (Suddenly the Spec Ford Racer is drivable without tiptoeing). For all its flaws GT5 does a lot of things right, and just because it doesn't feel like simulator "xxx" on the PC that you have driven for years, doesn't mean you should lightly cast it aside.

As for online issues, what do you expect?

Force feedback on GT is not all that impressive. FFB on GTR EVO is much better. I have been comparing the two up until my Ps died.

Agree with pretty much everything you said there, Saul, particularly the above. Finding decent events to join is everything, because no matter how good or bad a game is, it will always be rubbish on a server of idiots.

To Abdul I would definitely say that you should give the game a chance. I don't think that GT5 is a game you can get a good feel for in just one day, not least because half of the game is unavailable until you've played for some time. Its obviously going to feel different than other sims you've played, but that's not to say its 'wrong' or a bad game. I'm a Race 07 fan and GT5 felt pretty odd at first, but much better after a few days when I got used to it. One thing worth remembering is that its all about road cars, and not the racing machines we're used to with PC sims.

I've had GT5 since Xmas my biggest dissapointment with GT5 is the return of all cars from past GT's and lack of tracks. I would of rather see 300 new/ used cars all Premium and 100 different tracks. that is why i like GTR evo better . on GTR Evo there is about 240 tracks total and i dont mind all cars on Evo are race machines.

Force feedback on GT is not all that impressive. FFB on GTR EVO is much better. I have been comparing the two up until my Ps died.
You miss my point entirely, i said that the FFB in GT5 is closer to what you feel in a real car than that of other sims, such as the GTR series (which in my opinion has the weakest out of the popular pc sims). If you sit with the car not moving in GT5 and move the wheel you can feel the tyres very slightly, much like you can in a real car; but also much like in a real car there is not a lot of feeling in the steering.

I prefer the way other sims feel with FFB, especially iRacing as it makes the experience feel more connected being able to feel all the missing forces, but in terms with comparing to reality, cars do not feel anything like iRacing, Rfactor or any GTR game, and if the aim is to simulate the way a car drives and feels then all of the above games have done it wrong. With that said, I don't think GT5 feels like driving a real car, theres masses of torque steer going on, bumps felt through the wheel are far too strong and i'm pretty sure the game is running more like a 360 degree steering lock.

So you gotta ask, what defines better, especially if "better" is counter-productive to the aim of simulating driving. Is it better to attempt to simulate how a car wheel feels? is it better to try to compensate for the lack of physical forces by applying them to the steering wheel via FFB, or a combination and thus compromise of both?

on GTR Evo there is about 240 tracks total and i dont mind all cars on Evo are race machines.

I was also somewhat disappointed by the number of tracks in GT5, but I don't think your comparison to GTR Evo is fair.

With regards to the cars, sure, there are some great road cars missing and sure, I would have been happy to sacrifice a load of the standard cars to get more premiums. I don't think they could have completely changed the entire car list to make it completely different than GT4 though... we'd end up with a game full of cars that most people have never even heard of!

As for the tracks, Race 07 with the GTR Evo expansion does not have 240 tracks. From memory, there are in fact less than 40, and that includes the alternate layouts. The other 200 you have are ones that you have downloaded from the internet, and they were produced by the community.

And that is where PC sims will always have the advantage over console sims... the community can actively modify and create content for them long after the developer has ceased official support. Consoles have to rely solely on official patches and DLCs, and that will only happen for as long as the developer thinks it is profitable.

Personally, I'm still hoping for a dedicated track DLC for GT5. I'm not really a fan of paying for extra content which probably should have been in the original release, but there's some real gems missing from this game...

I played GT5 a lot since it came out and it has been sitting on the shelf since the beginning of January. Initially I was excited, now I am just bored. The only thing I am using it for is the GT Academy competition and hopefully will have a shot at orlando but thats it.

Aye, i will admit. I have gone back to Rfactor, i had a crack on Dirt 2, did some iRacing and played a bunch of shooter games, but hardly touched GT5... But that is the way things go with games, not many people with any game will continue to play it continuously. I will no doubt go back to GT5 as i did with GT4, much like other games and enjoy it all over again.

On the subject of GTR having 240 tracks, just like Rfactor these are fan made tracks, and while many of them can be very good, they cannot be compared to the quality of the tracks you get with an original release. The tracks in GT5 are of very nice quality, especially Nordschliefe and Lemans (The best by a long way on any game/sim), and in the eyes of most, quality > quantity. An example is that after driving laguna seca on iRacing, i found it hard to go back and enjoy the laguna seca fan made track on Rfactor. I felt much the same when comparing fan made versions of many other tracks with the high quality developed commercial versions and the laser scanned.

If GT5 came badged with a different name, and only included the premium cars and the Nurburgring + Lemans circuits i can guarentee you that a lot of people would jump at the chance to buy it, quality is what counts.

Right, I've skimmed through everyone post RE the Damage in GT5 and everyones saying it's 'Unlockable'. This is not in fact true, Damage is there right from the start. How much Damage is actually down the the Cars themselves, Standard Cars have minor deformation and scratches, Premium Cars have a greater visible level of damage (Aswell as Dents and Scratches the Bumpers crumple & hang off and the Bonnet/Hood, Wings/Fenders & Boot also Crumples) and Premium Race Cars (for example all the Premium Rally Cars) have the highest level of damage (All of the previous levels plus body pannels actually fall off, for example the Rally Video posted earlier in this thread)

The glue that holds this game together is the online part. It's awesome. Not without a few flaws, and could have a whole lot added, but "as is", it's a great platform for great racing. I recommend the Racing Club portion of this forum to discover what GT5 really has to offer.

The glue that holds this game together is the online part. It's awesome. Not without a few flaws, and could have a whole lot added, but "as is", it's a great platform for great racing. I recommend the Racing Club portion of this forum to discover what GT5 really has to offer.

Exactamundo. The poor AI means there's almost no incentive at all to repeat A-Spec events, and I personally find B-Spec even duller than an energy saving light bulb. However, the game really comes alive online, and it should be tried at least a few times before people think about shelving it. No better place to do that than right here at RD. :wink:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back